Thoughts on How Future Proof Will the Mach-e Be?

FarSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type '70 Vet, Outback Onyx, '04 Wrangler
Country flag
I wonder when our cars will no longer be able to fully utilize OTA updates for core improvements and new technology in the coming years. Like computers, they eventually can't run the new software. I suppose that down the road you can swap in a new screen and OS but who knows how the entire car will operate and communicate within its own parts and functions. Ford will eventually redesign the management of the vehicle in 5,8,10+ years? Think about your old iPhone, Sonos system, computer. Eventually, these things get bricked and can no longer run new more advanced processes. I'm not suggesting the car will no longer work but my guess is that getting improvements will eventually slow and stop at some point in the future..... ?? Same for all the other manufacturers. ?
Sponsored

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
I wonder when our cars will no longer be able to fully utilize OTA updates for core improvements and new technology in the coming years. Like computers, they eventually can't run the new software. I suppose that down the road you can swap in a new screen and OS but who knows how the entire car will operate and communicate within its own parts and functions. Ford will eventually redesign the management of the vehicle in 5,8,10+ years? Think about your old iPhone, Sonos system, computer. Eventually, these things get bricked and can no longer run new more advanced processes. I'm not suggesting the car will no longer work but my guess is that getting improvements will eventually slow and stop at some point in the future..... ?? Same for all the other manufacturers. ?
Software can always be updated over the air or plug in. Its the hardware that will be the challenge. Eventually the hardware wont be able to accept the software. Maybe they can i stall a new microchip in and buy a few more years. Definitely a concern.

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag
I've yet to make a decision on if a car can and will be treated like a device you replace annually (ie a laptop or a phone).

Yes the software will get more advanced as time goes on, but the complexity of the software I can't ever imagine becoming a burden on the compute hardware. Yeah the display might feel slow, the voice activated computer might be slow, but does the car still drive? Does it still handle?

The car still drives, it doesn't need an internet connection to do so. The car will sill operate as a car. You're not trying to render 3d movies, not trying to compile software, not running a webservice from it.

My concern will be batteries. How does the Mach E handle a battery replacement when the battery tech in 10 years has doubled or tripled. Will Ford allow us to upgrade the battery pack to what ever new tech it has.

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
I've yet to make a decision on if a car can and will be treated like a device you replace annually (ie a laptop or a phone).

Yes the software will get more advanced as time goes on, but the complexity of the software I can't ever imagine becoming a burden on the compute hardware. Yeah the display might feel slow, the voice activated computer might be slow, but does the car still drive? Does it still handle?

The car still drives, it doesn't need an internet connection to do so. The car will sill operate as a car. You're not trying to render 3d movies, not trying to compile software, not running a webservice from it.

My concern will be batteries. How does the Mach E handle a battery replacement when the battery tech in 10 years has doubled or tripled. Will Ford allow us to upgrade the battery pack to what ever new tech it has.
I think we will see existing repair shops pivot from ICE to EV's to stay in business and a lot of them will need to bring on personel with some Electrical Engineering or electronics troubleshooting and testing experience in order to modify and repair EV's. One of those services I am sure will be modification and replacement of battery packs, since there really isn't a lot else to go wrong with the driveline components.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think we will see existing repair shops pivot from ICE to EV's to stay in business and a lot of them will need to bring on personel with some Electrical Engineering or electronics troubleshooting and testing experience in order to modify and repair EV's. One of those services I am sure will be modification and replacement of battery packs, since there really isn't a lot else to go wrong with the driveline components.
Yes, I wish I could see into the future about 8 years, when the batteries are still decent. But how hard will be sales at that age? Is Tesla having success with selling 8 year old 3’s? Why would anyone buy it if they’d have to sink thousands into a new battery? Especially when by then mileage will exceed the 300 miles In the new e-cars.

anyone check into resale value of an older Tesla ? Just curious. I still want my MME, so I set those questions to the back of my mind…?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, at almost 70 I am not really concerned about driving in 20 years, I look more closely down the road,

I am looking at owing this car maybe 3 years because 3 years from now there will be 10 times more choices and cars that can go much further than 300 miles.

if the future advancements are substantial I will make a change To another car. If not I will hang on to the MME.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Well, at almost 70 I am not really concerned about driving in 20 years, I look more closely down the road,

I am looking at owing this car maybe 3 years because 3 years from now there will be 10 times more choices and cars that can go much further than 300 miles.

if the future advancements are substantial I will make a change To another car. If not I will hang on to the MME.
The big new things coming in EV's are hardware related not software related. IE 800v ev's newer battery technology, lower weight to make them more efficient, and some things that will be upgradeable like a huge push in Low rolling resistance tires. I don't think OTA is actually that important maybe more of a convenience. The reverse is ford gets and uses all of our data and that allows them to unlock more battery capacity and ability to charge faster after 80% on a fast charger, coming soon but don't hold your breath
Sponsored