Trade in Value

sneakyyy_sneak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD Extended battery
Country flag
I sold both my Select AWD for close to or more than I paid for them last year - The market tanked. Both are still sitting in inventory at Vroom for $5-8K less than they paid me for them. The first one has been in their inventory since Dec 2021 and the second since Sept 2022. Use models are not selling, even at dealerships (because they owe too much on them too).

The suckers who paid ADM are so upside down you'd rather an accident that totals it (+ gap insurance) to not be drowning
I can agree with this. Went in today to try and trade. 10k upside down. Gonna have to keep it for way longer than anticipated.

Old Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EX, RW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Got in the $36,000 range for a 2021 delivered in April 2022, rw, ex range, premium with just under 3,000 miles last month for a trade in on a Lexus RX 350 hybrid premium plus. Disappointed.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Funny you should say that. I live in the SF Bay Area, (home of Tesla) and a 2-4 year old Tesla Y is going for $25K to $30K. Model 3 are under $25K.

Can you please send me links for 2 year model Y for $25k-$30k that doesn't have a salvage title and 200000 miles?

The cheapest MY in the US right now with a clean title/no accidents is 2020 offered at $40700!

roguemustang

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023.5 Grabber Blue GTPE (ordered)
Country flag
I would think that even if prices don't bounce back a little bit, EV's should at least be a little easier to sell when the new IRS rules take effect since they actually have a tax credit for used ones. Right now, I think an EV has to be stupidly cheap to bother with a used one. I test drove a 2021 that was at a dealer for only $10k less than what I can order a brand new one for.... and it had 25k on it and obviously no tax credits. Figured I may as well go new.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It's hard to know what actual selling price is for a used Mach E. Offer prices online are not actual selling price... In general, used car prices are falling back to traditional levels (blue line below), and the prices of used EVs are being hit by Tesla price cuts.

Could be worse... (could be raining :)), the average used tesla tanked ~20% when new prices dropped ~20%

1680544618258.png
Wow, I can see the "Cash for Clunkers" dip in 2009. I remember people complaining heavily about the market forces resulting from that, but that's quite minor compared to the current situation.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Bought a California Route 1 RWD on 8/7/2022. Then bought a Premium ER AWD on 8/15/2022. Sold the CR1 back to the dealer a month later for $1k more than my out the door cost. Dealer sold the CR1 for $8k more than they paid me. Compare that to January when Ford offered me $50500 for the Premium when the Ioniq 5 I ordered came in. Kept the Premium for multiple reasons. Then in March Tesla offered me $46k towards a trade in for a Model Y. Kept the Premium because the MY was noisy, ride was way worse, and I didn't like the constant braking when letting off the juice.
$46k offer from Tesla was a good value. If I remember it correctly my offer was $46k in December after the first price cut for a 500 mile Premium ER AWD. There were about 2-3 Teslas running around town last year. After price cut this year, there are Teslas everywhere. Most of Tesla drivers turn head when seeing the Mach E. I will just keep my Mach E for a while. It is very convenient not to go line up at gas station. It is getting hot here and the dang screen freezes at start up every time leaving from work.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I would think that even if prices don't bounce back a little bit, EV's should at least be a little easier to sell when the new IRS rules take effect since they actually have a tax credit for used ones. Right now, I think an EV has to be stupidly cheap to bother with a used one. I test drove a 2021 that was at a dealer for only $10k less than what I can order a brand new one for.... and it had 25k on it and obviously no tax credits. Figured I may as well go new.
The used tax credit requires:

- 2 year or older model year
- sell price $25k max
- dealer is seller

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Why are people selling their Mach E's. Are you unhappy with them?
I'm sitting here as a potential buyer of a second Mustang waiting for used prices to drop even more. Most of the used ones out there are still way overpriced.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Wow, I can see the "Cash for Clunkers" dip in 2009. I remember people complaining heavily about the market forces resulting from that, but that's quite minor compared to the current situation.
It's weird to me that people are surprised when cars depreciate... the bubble of used car prices over the last couple of years is just that... a bubble. Used car prices in general will return to the blue trend line in the chart I posted.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Last edited:

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
This is from Bankrate.com so just a relative bellwether, but these rates can not be helping car sales or used car values.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trade in Value 1680569228555

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I sold both my Select AWD for close to or more than I paid for them last year - The market tanked. Both are still sitting in inventory at Vroom for $5-8K less than they paid me for them. The first one has been in their inventory since Dec 2021 and the second since Sept 2022. Use models are not selling, even at dealerships (because they owe too much on them too).
Used HIGH DEMAND Mach-Es did sell. Selects have been on lots at MSRP since 2021. I traded in a Cyber Orange Premium AWD ER in July that sold a week or two later for $7K over MSRP. Ford only offered Orange for Premiums in 2022 and that order took 10 months (ordered on first day 10/1 also!). I only heard of 1-2 deliveries in that color back in. My dealer loved that trade.

The Rapid Red GT PE I received... I ditched a few months later (for another Premium) sold for $75K a few days after I traded it in. Red is a stunning color for the GT IMO. It wasn't that common.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm sitting here as a potential buyer of a second Mustang waiting for used prices to drop even more. Most of the used ones out there are still way overpriced.
FB marketplace. I've seen some good prices from private parties.
Sponsored