Traveling to Canada from US, any tips/advice?

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Hi Friends!

My wife and I are heading to Buffalo from Ohio in November for the Vikings vs Bills. (Go Bills!) We've never been out of the country but decided to apply for our passports and add some time to our trip to go to Niagara Falls and view it from the Canadian side. We're going to spend the day in Canada in that area, and we are really excited for the trip.

Any Canadians or fellow US travelers out here on the forum have any advice in regards to charging while in Canada if needed? I plan to charge close to 100% before we leave Buffalo but obviously this is an additional new thing to understand on how to charge in another country. I'm assuming I need to grab some Canadian charging network apps and check plugshare.

I'll also happily take any other advice about heading into Canada at Niagra Falls, things to see, visit, etc.

Thanks All!
Sponsored

canuck1975

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select MME with tech package - "Peggy"
Country flag
I haven't recieved my car yet but I assume Electrify Canada will work as is. I think Flo has the most infrastructure. We're behind America, as usual, so you may have to go a bit out of the way to find a charging station.

Use this site to choose the bridge as well. Sometimes it's better to go to Lewiston over crossing in Buffalo. https://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Last year we had to use ArriveCan phone app to submit documents beforehand, not sure if that is still a thing. Give a quick read on entering Canada as a US and entering back to US, see if any requirements.

OP
OP
OON7

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

SMBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER Mach-E AWD
Country flag
Hi. Plugshare is your friend for planning a road trip and while on the road. You can check status, details, etc. Depending on where you charge you may need to download their app, hence good to plan ahead. you can also toggle to minimum power to only see CCS chargers with higher output (like above 70).

In terms of Niagara, Niagara on the Lake is a cute town to visit and there are lots of wineries between there and Hamilton to potentially visit. Enjoy.

OP
OP
OON7

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks everyone on the tips!

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Niagara on the Lake for restaurants {Old angel Inn-haunted pub) lots to see take the river drive from the falls, Skylon Tower - great view.

VirgilBoy21MME

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Retired ATC
Country flag
By all means, come and visit us here in Niagara-on-the lake. Considerably quieter than the summertime, when you're here in November. A totally different experience than Niagara Falls itself. Lots of great restaurants etc. My favorites here are the Old Angel Inn, the Irish Harp, and the Old Winery.

Niagara-on-the-lake population is around 14,000. In my area of NOTL, there are five MMEs (that I know of) and another one coming to my neighborhood very soon.

Send me a private message if you want some more tips on charging in this area. And any questions you have about local attractions and restaurants. I'll help you as much as I can.

I can tell you right now that one day will not give you enough time to really enjoy it the area!

I have attached a screencap for the fastest charger in this area. In the city of St Catherines which is very close to Niagara-on-the-lake and Niagara Falls. They are pretty new and also have 150 kW in addition to 50 kW.

Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 9.54.35 PM.png

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
ArriveCan is not required anymore.

Use PlugShare! A Better Route Planner (ABRP) is good for route planning but very conservative as to range and the number of chargers needed.

Most of the FLO and IVY chargers are 50kW, which means double the usual charge time (1 to 1-1/4 hours).

Some Chargepoint, FLO, and IVY chargers are in the Ford Blueoval Network. Electrify Canada ones are not. There is no "roaming" agreement between Electrify America and Electrify Canada. You may be able to use a credit card with the Electrify Canada chargers rather than setting up an account and downloading their app.

If you are using Plug and Charge (P&C) with the Ford Blueoval Network (i.e. Electrify America stations), make sure you turn it off in Canada before using the Electrify Canada stations.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
I was about to start a similar thread! I'm heading to Montreal - there seem to be a ton of L2 chargers downtown on plugshare. Any specific apps required to use those?

I see a lot are in FLO and Circuit Electrique networks.

OP
OP
OON7

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was about to start a similar thread! I'm heading to Montreal - there seem to be a ton of L2 chargers downtown on plugshare. Any specific apps required to use those?

I see a lot are in FLO and Circuit Electrique networks.
I have a FLO account from trying to park and charge in Cincinnati once, I'm curious if it will work internationally with my current balance is USD.

I'm very excited to go, lots of great responses here too. When will you be traveling?
Sponsored