Trip computer and range efficiency

cheng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME AWD ER, Toyota Prius PHV, Mazda 8
After driving the beast for a month and a half and around 1400 miles, I'm puzzled, if not disappointed, by the GOM estimated range. It equates to 230 miles per full charge now for an AWD/ER! I'm not a heavy foot driver, no overspeeding, driving with Whisper and without 1 pedal. The result I'm now getting is, however, quite disappointing...

This number appears after I finished two around 200 miles trips made in the last two days.

The trip computer of Sync 4 really sucks. It does not give me any historical performance by day, week, and month, not to mention anything about previous 30 min drive, like what the Toyota Prius and Prius PHV would give. Without those figures, I just can't figure out by myself how I did and how the road condition/speed/weather etc would have impacted on the range. The Prius PHV efficiency ranges from 2.7-5.3 mi/kWh between child winter and hot summer. With those performance figures, I can learn how to adjust my driving habit to tap the best range.

Mach E is supposed to be a tech of tomorrow. But I think I'm getting a thing from the Jurassic past...

*PS: Unlike the US model, the EV DATA on the FordPass never gives me any info. It keeps telling me that there is no data for the past 30 days!! Is it interesting that the MME is muted when EM can fly to the space on his own boat today?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip computer and range efficiency 20210912_131607
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There are three trip meters. “This Trip,” “Trip One,” and “Trlp 2.” I’d suggest that you not reset trip 2 ever and leave it as your cumulative mileage and miles per kWh. If you look at that cars on my Mach-e you will see I am averaging 3.4 miles/kWh whic equates to a range of 299 miles.

Use trip 1 for whatever journey you’re on. It’s car will be visible on the main screen and will show your average for the trip to that point. On the way to town mine might show an average of somewhere above 10 miles/kWh and reduce to 2.2 miles per kWh on the way back. Kona bound is all downhill in tolling hills. The return can be quite steep depending upon the route.

The GOM is just an estimate. It also heavily weights most recently activity as well. I live on the side of a very tall dormant shield volcano. My range indicator never tops 220 miles even at 100% charge as the last part of every drive is uphill. Yet I can easily drive around the island, about 230 miles, and have around 20% charge when I get home. How do I know that I can do that trip? 88*3.4.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
There are three trip meters. “This Trip,” “Trip One,” and “Trlp 2.” I’d suggest that you not reset trip 2 ever and leave it as your cumulative mileage and miles per kWh. If you look at that cars on my Mach-e you will see I am averaging 3.4 miles/kWh whic equates to a range of 299 miles.

Use trip 1 for whatever journey you’re on. It’s car will be visible on the main screen and will show your average for the trip to that point. On the way to town mine might show an average of somewhere above 10 miles/kWh and reduce to 2.2 miles per kWh on the way back. Kona bound is all downhill in tolling hills. The return can be quite steep depending upon the route.

The GOM is just an estimate. It also heavily weights most recently activity as well. I live on the side of a very tall dormant shield volcano. My range indicator never tops 220 miles even at 100% charge as the last part of every drive is uphill. Yet I can easily drive around the island, about 230 miles, and have around 20% charge when I get home. How do I know that I can do that trip? 88*3.4.
That's exactly how I do my trip meters. I've got 6500 miles and trip 2 shows 3.3 mi/kw average and my GOM reflects that,

OP
OP
cheng

cheng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you all. I live also in an hilly area and I understand the figure won't be shiny. Just a bit disappointed with what data that Ford can and has decided to pass onto us.

I do suspect the missing journey data did contribute to the "poor" performance figures which I believe is calculated from the recorded journeys. We don't even have the onboard data that shows the instantaneous charging rate whether in mi/he or kW/h.

I felt I have made a better decision against PS2 finding loads of complains from PS2 owners how unreliable and user unfriendly is the car computer. Nevertheless, the issues are sorted pretty quick. And I now understand things can always be worse.

The user interface of Sync 4 is much better than others, that I must admit. But that's of no good use of it is not as informative.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You should try driving with one pedal and see if that improves anything. Just a theory but you could be losing a lot of energy going down hills if you're using mechanical braking instead of regen. You might also try engage and/or the L button since I believe that gives you more regen.

Try to get the car in for software updates if you can, mention the cooling fan TSB to get the powertrain modules updated and ask if they could update the other modules too while they're at it. You might also chat with a FordPass guide in the app about those issues.

OP
OP
cheng

cheng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You should try driving with one pedal and see if that improves anything. Just a theory but you could be losing a lot of energy going down hills if you're using mechanical braking instead of regen. You might also try engage and/or the L button since I believe that gives you more regen.

Try to get the car in for software updates if you can, mention the cooling fan TSB to get the powertrain modules updated and ask if they could update the other modules too while they're at it. You might also chat with a FordPass guide in the app about those issues.
Thank you for the advice. I do use the L button a lot which reduces the hit on the brake. (The knob is positioned in an awkward position that makes the L button difficult to reach when driving.) I listened to similar advice from the forum and tried the 1 pedal and the "Engage/Active" mode in the beginning. I didn't see any significant changes. "Whisper" gave me the more familiar feel of driving so I stick to it.

It seems to me that there's quite a few different parameters to tune which we don't have any access to. I have to live with the "default" settings which look different from different production lot. I saw some posts that tell no matter which mode they are using, they can easily hit the 3.7 mi/kWh mark whether traveling on highway or with city commute. "Default" setting differences might explain the different experiences.

The engineering service here in UK also sucks, not in the sense that they are not friendly or helpful, but they are not more knowledgeable than a general user. They did tell that they have not received enough training. I'm afraid taking back to the dealership won't change much.

In the one and a half month of use, I received twice the "Powertrain malfunction/loss of power" warming. They both disappeared in a couple of days. Anyway, for safety concern, I did take it back to the dealership but was sent home immediately by advising me that that was a false notification! I didn't take it back the second time, not to waste my time.

I tried reaching the FordPass development team. The Ford Customer Service promised that the would pass on my concerns and the FP team will be in touch with me whether over phone or with email. But, nothing happened! By looking at the FordPass app, I only see a joke. How can Ford really take on Tesla with such an app? The FP team is not even in par with PS2! You know, I sometimes have a feeling that the FordPass app is AI driven so it will determine what and when to release the info stored in the car computer to its owner. It's not a rocket science to make things right. Remember, there're loads of competition who are eyeing on this market, not to mention the strongest contender Tesla.

Is it not frustrating?

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
I have a different problem with the trip computer. The "This trip" (which does not have a manual reset) always resets time and energy consumption but only occasionally resets distance. Nuisance more than functional problem but I'd have thought that's a bug that would have been fixed by now.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
Today my ”This Trip” meter would not reset the miles from the previous day. After the first stop same thing, no reset on the miles. After the second stop it did reset the miles. What is up with this?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I laughed at "I tried reaching the development team"...

I called on 7/2 and got a case number and promise that it would go to Tier 2 support in the US. Nada.

My dealer and his regional rep reached out to Ford, got a response, and still nada.

I reached out to @Ford on this forum, and they wanted a bunch of info I'm not comfortable sending via DM on this forum.

I reached out to Ford via Twitter on 7/6 and again on 8/13. No response to either.

I hope that Darren Palmer reads these posts and sees that the front line support is CRAP.

I gain more knowledge from this forum than from Ford. That's very sad for Ford.

skeighle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e select awd
Country flag
I laughed at "I tried reaching the development team"...

I called on 7/2 and got a case number and promise that it would go to Tier 2 support in the US. Nada.

My dealer and his regional rep reached out to Ford, got a response, and still nada.

I reached out to @Ford on this forum, and they wanted a bunch of info I'm not comfortable sending via DM on this forum.

I reached out to Ford via Twitter on 7/6 and again on 8/13. No response to either.

I hope that Darren Palmer reads these posts and sees that the front line support is CRAP.

I gain more knowledge from this forum than from Ford. That's very sad for Ford.
This has also been my experience.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
@cheng my MME AWD ER is about three weeks old. i have done 1300 miles in it. my trip 2 says range of 3.1m/kwh.

i settled on the MME because i wanted an electric SUV that would give me 200 miles minimum on full charge.

i get that right now. everything else is a bonus.

for my future trip planning, i use a conservative 2.6 m/kwh for calculation. it means i have to stop for charging, but that's okay.

i haven't driven a Prius but i am not sure there is an apples to apples comparison here.

the MME is an SUV, a sporty one at that. that alone reduces its efficiency significantly.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I have 8200 miles of driving on my AWD EX MME and never reset my trip 2. I currently get 262 miles of range for 90% charge and my average is 3.3 for trip 2. It took some time for the GOM to catch up but it's still not accurate for mile to mile usage. I get around 2.8 miles per % of battery usage on average
Sponsored