Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Got my new Mach E yesterday, in Phoenix, and started looking at a couple of potential trips, to Vegas and to Los Angeles. When I put these into the Ford Pass App it completely misses some newer EA charging stations. Phoenix to Vegas would be via Kingman AZ and they now have EA chargers, but it routes me through Bullhead City and Needles CA to an EA site there. Then when I plan Phoenix to LA, it skips the EA chargers in Quartzsite and plans a stop in Blythe at a low power (50KW) Charge Point charger.

How long does it take Ford to catch up to these newer sites, they have both been open since March.
Sponsored

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Got my new Mach E yesterday, in Phoenix, and started looking at a couple of potential trips, to Vegas and to Los Angeles. When I put these into the Ford Pass App it completely misses some newer EA charging stations. Phoenix to Vegas would be via Kingman AZ and they now have EA chargers, but it routes me through Bullhead City and Needles CA to an EA site there. Then when I plan Phoenix to LA, it skips the EA chargers in Quartzsite and plans a stop in Blythe at a low power (50KW) Charge Point charger.

How long does it take Ford to catch up to these newer sites, they have both been open since March.
the Ford Pass map shows me EA chargers in Kingman at "Smith's Fuel Center"

OP
OP
AZBill

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If you haven't already, plan your trips at https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ and/or download the app, you can toggle 150kwh chargers or faster, and it's better all around to plan your trips.
Already have that app and plugshare. Personally I find ABRP to be clunky and for example, the MyCheverolet app for my Bolt provides just as good of an estimate and is integrated with the car.

OP
OP
AZBill

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
the Ford Pass map shows me EA chargers in Kingman at "Smith's Fuel Center"
I opened it back up and it does find the Kingman chargers, but for some stupid reason it takes me way out of the way when planning that route. The shortest route is via Kingman for sure, not over to the California border then going north.

RobFitzgerald167

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Grabber Blue
Country flag
I had that similar experience on my last trip to Vegas from SoCal. I was expecting a 4 hour trip with a 45 min charging session in Baker, but the Ford Navigation was trying to send me to Needles and add another 2 hours and a second charging stop to the trip. Fortunately I knew the EA station in Baker was up and running, and made my trip in 3:55

OP
OP
AZBill

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had that similar experience on my last trip to Vegas from SoCal. I was expecting a 4 hour trip with a 45 min charging session in Baker, but the Ford Navigation was trying to send me to Needles and add another 2 hours and a second charging stop to the trip. Fortunately I knew the EA station in Baker was up and running, and made my trip in 3:55
I guess Ford likes Needles for some reason, that is where it was sending me. If I plan the same trip for my Bolt, the GM app takes me through Kingman. I have not tried setting up the destination in the car, to see what it would do, but I expect the nav to take me on the shortest route. If I insert Kingman as a destination directly in the App, it tells me I will have 34% battery remaining, which is plenty of margin.
Sponsored