DarkStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E SR RWD
Country flag
Great tutorial! I’ve been playing with ABRP a lot, and have been using the default 3.13 reference consumption for a SR RWD. I thought even that was high @ 65 mph, since this model’s highway EPA is listed as about 2.85 (converted from a MPGe calculator).

But I see in the tutorial, it recommends using an even higher to 3.5. Is that the standard most people are using for a SR RWD? I know you can configure speed, weather, etc. for the route that will lower it, but wondering if the 3.5 works pretty well for highway speeds as the baseline consumptions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Great tutorial! I’ve been playing with ABRP a lot, and have been using the default 3.13 reference consumption for a SR RWD. I thought even that was high @ 65 mph, since this model’s highway EPA is listed as about 2.85 (converted from a MPGe calculator).

But I see in the tutorial, it recommends using an even higher to 3.5. Is that the standard most people are using for a SR RWD? I know you can configure speed, weather, etc. for the route that will lower it, but wondering if the 3.5 works pretty well for highway speeds as the baseline consumptions.
I can only speak for an ER RWD california route 1, but that's what worked out for me in good weather. Keep in mind that baseline is at 65; there is actually a noticeable difference between 65mph and 73mph - for me that 8 MPH is a .3 mi/kwh difference. ABRP knows that, so at 75mph it will use 3.0 or even a little lower as the projected mi/kwh.

Regardless of whether your baseline 65mph number works out to 3.2 or 3.5, the difference isn't huge considering how much rain, cold, and wind can affect the numbers. You can always use a lower number and recognize it is a "worst case" just to be on the safe side.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I used ABRP for several weeks tracking my usage via OBD reader and it worked out to roughly 3.05 mi/kWh @ 65mph. No attempt to maximize range. Just normal driving with lots of 75-80mph highway use. Premium 4x.

Kennykustom

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium awd lr
Country flag
Abrp tells me I can't get from winnipeg to Toronto without going through the usa....

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have been playing around with ABRP to plan a trip up the coast to my dogs’ breeder’s place. I found that the software makes an assumption that there is charging at your destination. The software puts me at the hotel with very low SoC. It’s easy enough to add an intermediate destination at the lone DCFC 20-some odd minutes from the hotel. I even see that I can add information to charge time and ending SoC percent. That information seems to be only for informational purposes, as I do not see a way for that information to be added to overall trip time and charge KWH. Any tips on that? 😊🤷‍♂️🐩

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
you can specify destination soc.
Yes, that applies to all of the intermediate stops as well. It would be nice to be able to specify minimum charge stop levels as well as destination SoC. 🤷‍♂️🐩

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have been playing around with ABRP to plan a trip up the coast to my dogs’ breeder’s place. I found that the software makes an assumption that there is charging at your destination. The software puts me at the hotel with very low SoC. It’s easy enough to add an intermediate destination at the lone DCFC 20-some odd minutes from the hotel. I even see that I can add information to charge time and ending SoC percent. That information seems to be only for informational purposes, as I do not see a way for that information to be added to overall trip time and charge KWH. Any tips on that? 😊🤷‍♂️🐩
If you are doing a round trip then it won't put you at the end of the first destinaiton with a low SOC

Yes, that applies to all of the intermediate stops as well. It would be nice to be able to specify minimum charge stop levels as well as destination SoC. 🤷‍♂️🐩
There is a default setting for SOC at each waypoint, but you can edit the destination to have a different arrival SOC

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I want to thank you very much for this write-up.

There are a few things (at the moment only a few) that I would really like to see or to know how to do with ABRP. I have no doubt that I'm just not savvy enough with ABRP to figure these ones out.

1. I would like ABRP to help me plan hotel stops by giving me an option to "spend no more than ${variable} hours on the road before adding a hotel stop."
  2. When I say I want to add a hotel stop, I wish ABRP would not choose a nearby hotel to the DCFC it already planned but instead find a hotel within range that offers "destination" charging options (preferably free if they're available) and replace the DCFC stop with this hotel stop. I struggle to remember how to switch to a different charger in ABRP after I've added a waypoint/stop.
  3. I would really like to set a default minimum departure SOC for DCFCs. I like to charge to 85%. But no matter how I play with the various settings, I still seem to have to go in and edit each charge stop. I don't need ABRP when I'm making my drive in a day, so whenever I'm scoping road trips that are long, I have to go to a dozen or so stops and change the departure SOC to 85%.
Am I just too dense to see these options in ABRP?

Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I want to thank you very much for this write-up.

There are a few things (at the moment only a few) that I would really like to see or to know how to do with ABRP. I have no doubt that I'm just not savvy enough with ABRP to figure these ones out.

1. I would like ABRP to help me plan hotel stops by giving me an option to "spend no more than ${variable} hours on the road before adding a hotel stop."
  2. When I say I want to add a hotel stop, I wish ABRP would not choose a nearby hotel to the DCFC it already planned but instead find a hotel within range that offers "destination" charging options (preferably free if they're available) and replace the DCFC stop with this hotel stop. I struggle to remember how to switch to a different charger in ABRP after I've added a waypoint/stop.
  3. I would really like to set a default minimum departure SOC for DCFCs. I like to charge to 85%. But no matter how I play with the various settings, I still seem to have to go in and edit each charge stop. I don't need ABRP when I'm making my drive in a day, so whenever I'm scoping road trips that are long, I have to go to a dozen or so stops and change the departure SOC to 85%.
Am I just too dense to see these options in ABRP?

Thank you in advance!
Unfortunately, I don't believe you can do any of that automatically. What I did was use plugshare to find reliable hotel chargers, and added the hotel manually as a waypoint along with telling it I added a charge to 100% there. Since you can edit your departure time for the day you can choose which leg of the trip into which you want to insert the hotel stay, and if something goes wrong (like the hotel charger is iced or broken) you can stop at the original DCFC ABRP picked.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The attached PDF is a tutorial I put together that might prove useful to ABRP/road tripping newbies and veterans alike. It is based on extensive time wasted spent planning a 1600 mile trip I took in September. While the UI is generally intuitive I did find some "quirks" in the web app, and I also honed some techniques for optimizing charging stops. It may seem long, but that is because much of the content is screen captures to illustrate what I am talking about.

The tutorial walks you through all the steps from setting up a new ABRP account through to planning a sample trip from Washington DC to Philadelphia, including an overnight stay and of course a charging stop. The choice of the example home address being the White House is NOT POLITICALLY MOTIVATED; I simply chose a well known address so I don't get in trouble for publishing someone's real private address. As far as I am concerned it is the same as publishing a "555" number as an example telephone number.

FYI: No warranties are expressed or implied, nor is tech support included ?
We have a GTPE and after 2 terrible trips we decided to get a ev trip car. In apr we bought a model y AWD long range and its terrific. At 65mph highway with ac on we get 300 miles at 70mph its drops to 275 miles. Superchargers are everwhere never having range anxiety. Trip planner has you closest charger layed out after 250 miles with 50 miles to precondition battery. We get 140 to 160 miles in in 16 minutes. Superchargers always work, ev in and out quickly. Its a dream come true for any trips. We have a 06 classic Jeep commander bought new when no one wanted 15 mpg suv when gas was $3 gallon. We got it for $10000 off paid $22000 now has 50000 miles seats 7 looks new. But we will look at a new model x in Dec since pricing dived to $79990 full tax credit applies and the new candy apple red paintwas $3500 extra now included in base price. The AWD long range gets 348 miles EPA rating. JEEP will sell fast since its a really nice 7 seater. Thanks for story, really interesting.
Sponsored