Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Std range AWD Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m picking up my 2021 Std range AWD Mach-E later today and pretty excited I can tell you.

i’ve found out that I can do a factory reset to remove all trace of the previous owner (FordPaas, phone sync etc.) but am I likely to hit any unexpected issues when I try to connect for the first time?

I’ve read a thread where an owner got locked out of remote access to the car via FordPass and it required a response to am email sent to an already registered phone to fix it so wondered if I should ‘join’ my phone to the car before doing the reset just in case?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If you do a full reset after connecting your phone, it will disconnect the phone. That's the point.

kevgallacher

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I can remember the exact process but I have done a factory reset on the car before and reconnected through the app and it was easy enough.

The phone app guides you through the process of adding the car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You absolutely want to do a reset. Immediately. You also want to have the dealer verify that you have X keys, and there are no more keys in memory, next time it is in for service.

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
I would make sure that you can connect to Ford pass before leaving the dealership to make sure that the original owner is no longer attached to the vehicle.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Make sure to have them check with their system to ensure the car only has the 2 keys that are present in its memory.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
@Slartibartfast - looks like you’ve had some great answers already, but wanted to add some context to what you may have initially heard that caused your original concern.

Basically here in UK we have a subscription service provided by Ford called “Ford Secure” - it’s £6 a month and offers an extra level of security if your vehicle is stolen.

You can track the location of your car using the FordPass app for free, but if it gets stolen there’s not much you can do to stop the thieves from performing a master reset and basically disconnecting you from your own car. What Ford Secure does is it prevents a master reset from being performed without authorisation from your FordPass app (plus it also includes a few extra stolen vehicle recovery assistance services) It’s sort of similar to Apple’s device activation lock or multi factor authentication used to protect unauthorised logins.

So the complication you’ve possibly heard is where that service was still live and connected to the previous owner and someone tried a master reset.

You’ve said it’s all being handled by the dealer (as I’d expect!) - so you shouldn’t have anything to worry about apart from making sure you have both key fobs for the vehicle like @RickMachE said 👍

Ottuso

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach e premium AWD
Occupation
Professor Emeritus
Country flag
When I bought my ‘21, I called Ford technical services who said DO NOT perform a factory reset. Something about after they register the VIM with me the previous info is gone. Whatever, I’ve had no problems other than the modem needed updating.

OP
OP
Slartibartfast
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@Slartibartfast - looks like you’ve had some great answers already, but wanted to add some context to what you may have initially heard that caused your original concern.

Basically here in UK we have a subscription service provided by Ford called “Ford Secure” - it’s £6 a month and offers an extra level of security if your vehicle is stolen.

You can track the location of your car using the FordPass app for free, but if it gets stolen there’s not much you can do to stop the thieves from performing a master reset and basically disconnecting you from your own car. What Ford Secure does is it prevents a master reset from being performed without authorisation from your FordPass app (plus it also includes a few extra stolen vehicle recovery assistance services) It’s sort of similar to Apple’s device activation lock or multi factor authentication used to protect unauthorised logins.

So the complication you’ve possibly heard is where that service was still live and connected to the previous owner and someone tried a master reset.

You’ve said it’s all being handled by the dealer (as I’d expect!) - so you shouldn’t have anything to worry about apart from making sure you have both key fobs for the vehicle like @RickMachE said 👍
Thanks, that’s really useful information and something I hadn’t considered with regards to Ford Secure.

i do have 2 key fobs although the card with the master door code is not with the vehicle I believe. Dealer is sorting that out hopefully.

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
I use in addition to the FordPass tracking a traker from COPENHAGEN TRACKERS.
price is quite fair, 125 EUR and the battery needs no charging, it should last 4 years
You can change between daily orweekly tracking and with the last update they added a prking tracker.
I found a nice place for that nice litte device

Hoopajoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 87' Grand National, Mercury Marauder,
Occupation
Customer Relations Manager
Country flag
Do the reset first then setup your Fordpass app. After that setup your profile to the car and phone as a key so you get the buttons on the app to do the options that require Bluetooth like to trunk and frunk pop as well as the windows from the app

Spacey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Do the reset first then setup your Fordpass app. After that setup your profile to the car and phone as a key so you get the buttons on the app to do the options that require Bluetooth like to trunk and frunk pop as well as the windows from the app
Just for information, Brian (the OP) is in the UK and we don't have phone as a key which I also think means that we can't operate the windows, frunk and trunk from the FordPass app. I don't want Brian to think he's got more functions than he actually has.

OP
OP
Slartibartfast
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks Spacey, I was aware that PAAK was not available in the Uk.
all reset now and everything seems to be working ok except I can’t get the keypad access to work.
Sponsored