VA Tax Incentive?

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Trying to find if VA offers an EV tax incentive, but having a hard time to find current information for 2020...anyone out there with some knowledge?? thanks
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Trying to find if VA offers an EV tax incentive, but having a hard time to find current information for 2020...anyone out there with some knowledge?? thanks
Unfortunately, no. With the special tag you can use the HOV lanes, but there are some restrictions on that. Legislature is supposed to make a decision on November for implementation by December 2021.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Unfortunately, no. With the special tag you can use the HOV lanes, but there are some restrictions on that. Legislature is supposed to make a decision on November for implementation by December 2021.
Exactly as they said, none yet.

You may be able to get some time-of-day electricity billing for your EV, depending on your provider. I know Appalachian Power just introduced it... (Could save a little bit on charging).

OP
OP

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Exactly as they said, none yet.

You may be able to get some time-of-day electricity billing for your EV, depending on your provider. I know Appalachian Power just introduced it... (Could save a little bit on charging).
I work for Dominion - we are introducing time of use rates as well, but the SCC keeps rejecting our plans to roll out smart meters, which is needed for time of use rates to actually work...

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I work for Dominion - we are introducing time of use rates as well, but the SCC keeps rejecting our plans to roll out smart meters, which is needed for time of use rates to actually work...
Really? I thought Dominion had been offering it for a while... That's who my parents have.

I know AEP put in new smart meters not too long ago (mine included), wonder why you guys are having such a hard time? Regardless, hope more electric providers are able to offer moving forward.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to bother with AEP's offering or not. Don't want to have to get a permit and inspection and add another meter inside my garage, but we'll see.

OP
OP

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Really? I thought Dominion had been offering it for a while... That's who my parents have.

I know AEP put in new smart meters not too long ago (mine included), wonder why you guys are having such a hard time? Regardless, hope more electric providers are able to offer moving forward.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to bother with AEP's offering or not. Don't want to have to get a permit and inspection and add another meter inside my garage, but we'll see.
If you have a smart meter, you should be able to switch your current rate program to the time of use one that AEP offers...don't need a second meter.

SCC is giving us a hard time for the cost of smart meters and what they see as not having a rate structure that fully helps save customers money...although we have one/proposed others...we are still rolling out smart meters (I just got one last month) but at a slower clip.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
If you have a smart meter, you should be able to switch your current rate program to the time of use one that AEP offers...don't need a second meter.

SCC is giving us a hard time for the cost of smart meters and what they see as not having a rate structure that fully helps save customers money...although we have one/proposed others...we are still rolling out smart meters (I just got one last month) but at a slower clip.
Unfortunately AEP doesn't offer whole home time-of-day billing. From their website for the new EV time of day rates, you have to have a smart meter for your main, and then also install a secondary smart meter off your EV charging circuit. Didn't look to far into it, but that's what their online page shows.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Talk to your VA legislators. Many are open to the idea of EV rebates and need to hear from their constituents.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Talk to your VA legislators. Many are open to the idea of EV rebates and need to hear from their constituents.
It's being considered now. The governor has a task force and they are supposed to provide their feedback in November.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Ohhh Dec2021! For some reason I thought it (whatever it may be) would go into place starting Jan 1 2021. I guess that was wishful thinking, and on that note... Maybe it'll be retroactive and can cover any MY21 vehicle. :D

Also, not sure why it took me so long to venture over here into the regional forums. Been lurking in the main area too long, but glad I found this. Reserved last year, the night of the launch in November. Now that a potential VA tax credit is too far off anyway, where the hell is my mach E?? ?

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Ohhh Dec2021! For some reason I thought it (whatever it may be) would go into place starting Jan 1 2021. I guess that was wishful thinking, and on that note... Maybe it'll be retroactive and can cover any MY21 vehicle. :D

Also, not sure why it took me so long to venture over here into the regional forums. Been lurking in the main area too long, but glad I found this. Reserved last year, the night of the launch in November. Now that a potential VA tax credit is too far off anyway, where the hell is my mach E?? ?
Hopefully, when it passes it will be retroactive, but I think they were planning on capping the sales price. I'll have to reach out to the lobbyists to see if they can push the total upwards.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Oh that's right, I think I remember reading $50,000 sales price last time I looked into it. I'm all for contacting my local rep, and state senator about this. ...and any lobbyists. If you have a POC, and think it would help with more of us reaching out LMK.

Car manf. take into account the fed $7500 credit, so VA should too and up that cap to $57,500... and maybe let's just round that out to an even $60K. Haha