prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
The closest public charging station to my house is at a Walgreens down the street.
They have 2 Volta stations. This screenshot shows the scant available information.
I have questions: 1) Are all charging stations that say "J-1772" some flavor of AC charging? 2) Are Volta stations free–or will I be prompted to swipe a credit card if I use it? 3) When I get my FE (should be today or tomorrow; bought it last week, it's been getting wrapped & ceramic coated), I'll have the FordPass; I also have the ChargePoint app associated with my home charger*. Does Volta interact with either of those systems?
Thanks, everyone!
* My electrician is here today, installing my ChargePoint HomeFlex charger. :)

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.49.34 AM.png
Sponsored

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
You can probably check out plugshare to see about charging speeds and cost. I believe J-1772 is Level 2 charging but I'm not 100% on that. Ford Pass currently only works with EA and Greenlots though I'd imagine more are coming soon

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Volta is free, they use the screen to show advertising.

"How do I start charging?

Simply plug in and start charging. Volta charging stations are free to use."

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
All volta I have seen are Level 2, free and easy (when not busy) to use. Just be kind and limit to no more than 2/4 hrs ;) You don't need their app to use, or anything else for that matter, but it does show when they are unoccupied.

I used them often pre-pandemic.

Last edited:

Extortion

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Premium, ER, RWD
Country flag
Ha - i own $287k in SNPR stock (taking Volta public). Anyways, yes, Volta is free. Standard charging for 2 hours and DC charging for 30 minutes. Those above are for the standard. Don't count on those being that fast, I was on one for 1 hour and my car battery added only 17 miles. I didn't need an app nor a credit card to use - I just drove up to the spot and connected the plug!

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Ha - i own $287k in SNPR stock (taking Volta public). Anyways, yes, Volta is free. Standard charging for 2 hours and DC charging for 30 minutes. Those above are for the standard. Don't count on those being that fast, I was on one for 1 hour and my car battery added only 17 miles. I didn't need an app nor a credit card to use - I just drove up to the spot and connected the plug!
When are they going public?
Volta has been adding free DCFCs also. They only have a few so far.

Extortion

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Premium, ER, RWD
Country flag
When are they going public?
Volta has been adding free DCFCs also. They only have a few so far.
No merger vote yet. It'll be a couple weeks until ticker change!

And yes! I see some in San Antonio, but none here in Austin!

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
) Are all charging stations that say "J-1772" some flavor of AC charging?
Yeah, anything that is J1772 without the two extra connectors below the circle is Level 2

BK2EV

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MachE AWD Premium ER, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Country flag
I use a Volta charger weekly for the Fusion Energi. Its a 240v, 40A charger J1772. Up to 2 hours of free charging. Just plug in and you are good. The Volta app is pretty good and gives you locations and details/availability of the chargers.

BK2EV

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I used a Volta station in Naperville yesterday and it gave me about 14% of battery in two hours. Not the fastest, but free.

OP
OP
prius2pony

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
I use a Volta charger weekly for the Fusion Energi. Its a 240v, 40A charger J1772. Up to 2 hours of free charging. Just plug in and you are good. The Volta app is pretty good and gives you locations and details/availability of the chargers.

BK2EV
When you say, “just plug in”...do I have to set anything up inside the car, for example to specify that I want to stop at 80%? How do I do that?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Plugging in at Volta is just like Plugging in at home. Open the charge door plug in the car and walk away. No app, no swipe, no charge, no buttons on the charger.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
I downloaded the Volta app and it says that my local free Volta station offers 4 hours free charging (it's an L2 station at whole foods, with 2 available slots).

However on the side of the kiosk itself it said to limit it to 2 hours (in small print)

Today I left my car there for the full 4 hours (after which the Volta station automatically stopped charging, so I moved it).

What should I do in the future? Follow the app and charge it for 4 hours ? Or follow the station fine print and leave it for 2 hours?

(Side note: gained about 50 miles in 4 hrs in case anyone was curious)

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
The closest public charging station to my house is at a Walgreens down the street.
They have 2 Volta stations. This screenshot shows the scant available information.
I have questions: 1) Are all charging stations that say "J-1772" some flavor of AC charging? 2) Are Volta stations free–or will I be prompted to swipe a credit card if I use it? 3) When I get my FE (should be today or tomorrow; bought it last week, it's been getting wrapped & ceramic coated), I'll have the FordPass; I also have the ChargePoint app associated with my home charger*. Does Volta interact with either of those systems?
Thanks, everyone!
* My electrician is here today, installing my ChargePoint HomeFlex charger. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Volta public charging stations? Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.49.34 AM
Volta is free and J-1772 is level 2 charging, you'll get 20-25 miles an Hour.

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
When you say, “just plug in”...do I have to set anything up inside the car, for example to specify that I want to stop at 80%? How do I do that?
This charger is really slow, because its free. Will take hours to reach 80% if you are traveling. This is to be used if you are stopping on way to a trip to buy something from the stores, it will keep your passengers warm while adding a few miles, but not to be used to charge to continue on your trip. Most places where this is at, overnight is not allowed as you will be towed, unless you are working/own a store in the lot.

You can however after arriving and plugging in, setup in ford pass how much you want to charge at this location by adding it as a preferred location.
Sponsored