Waiting for my MME - It's ready (OpenEVSE)

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Huh... I can change it on the fly and it takes without a reboot, even when live charging,
Could have just been a display issue too....it was stating 24a on the LCD but still showed 40a on the portal.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Could have just been a display issue too....it was stating 24a on the LCD but still showed 40a on the portal.
Ah, yeah, there is an LCD update bug right now - saw that myself. The web portal is accurate.

There were huge LCD display info changes in the recent major update this past spring, and I think they are still working some of it out.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Finally able to test out the EVSE. Love it! Had no idea it would change colors (glowing in the box and LCD) from Blue for charging to Yellow for charging complete to Green when unplugged.

Slowly ramped up to 40 amp just as expected and stayed steady. Didn't get too hot. Super solid buy.

OP
OP
ZuleMME

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Finally able to test out the EVSE. Love it! Had no idea it would change colors (glowing in the box and LCD) from Blue for charging to Yellow for charging complete to Green when unplugged.

Slowly ramped up to 40 amp just as expected and stayed steady. Didn't get too hot. Super solid buy.
Yep the colors are nice. It also keeps a lifetime counter of KWH used which I'm using for statistics on my car since i can't trust the Fordpass app at all with it's phantom kwh's added and extra hours on the charger that never happened... I simply log mileage at the end of the month and how many KWH my counter is up to.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
OP
OP
ZuleMME

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
LOL, yep I'm one of those guys posting about it there. I rolled back until they patch it as it's very weird even with the workaround.
so it seems: ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Waiting for my MME - It's ready (OpenEVSE) 1647455919685

but others like @Scooby24 use it too and might have seen your post, but not have seen the issue report. ?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
so it seems: ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Waiting for my MME - It's ready (OpenEVSE) 1647455919685

but others like @Scooby24 use it too and might have seen your post, but not have seen the issue report. ?
Yeah I haven't upgraded anything since the install. It's been rock solid and stable and I don't even bother using the wifi connectivity for anything.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I'm in the market for an EVSE, and ideally one that I could use both at home and also on trips to locations where I'll need to use either 30A dryer outlet (10-30 and 14-30 outlets) or a 6-50 outlet. OpenEVSE has caught my eye because I'm moderately technical, and it looks like I could do some cool things with MQTT locally (HomeAssistant, etc), and I like the idea of repairability and no dependency on a manufacturer's "cloud".

I know this doesn't have the typical form factor of the mobile/portable EVSE's that you commonly see, but is there any reason I couldn't unplug and bring with me on road trips? Could I just use pigtails to quickly go between 10-30, 14-30, 6-50, and 14-50? I see that it has adjustable amperage, which is important.

Any major issues or disappointments besides little software update hiccups with workarounds? How's the quality of the cable and connector? I'm thinking about the kit for $520: https://store.openevse.com/collections/all-products/products/advanced-bundle

Thanks!

OP
OP
ZuleMME

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I did the build it yourself kit as well. Quality wise it's a pretty damn good EVSE, no complaints in that aspect. However, it's big. You don't "have to" securely mount it to a wall, one of the options I believe was semi secure slide mounting. So you could try to make it a portable but the truth is there are better options for on the go like:

https://www.amazon.com/MUSTART-Portable-Adjustable-Electric-Charging/dp/B09QSQ7Z4C

Don't get me wrong, the OpenEVSE is a far better product overall; and likely safer than that one. But it's not portable unless you like dealing with unwieldy things.

And of course if your destination can support 30 to 32 amps the factory OEM EVSE works fine as a portable. Note the early ones in 2021 were certainly only about 30 amps even though they declared them 32. Not sure if it's been changed on the newer ones or they are still 30.
Sponsored