sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
since I had another such trip today, I took pictures. This is with 44 x 2-3/8 x 12 Retaining Wall Cap at Menards® (13 lb. [*] each, so 572 lb. [*] total) in the back, plus (unpictured) 2 x 60 lb. (*) bags of sand in the back seat. Note the suspension in the back - the gf's C-Max absolutely would absolutely not be happy with this, but it's not super noticeable here (it is noticeable):

20210731_174917.jpg

20210731_174955.jpg

(*) for those of you that don't use Freedom Units : 13 lb = 5.9 kg, 572 lb = 259.4 kg, 60 lb = 27.2 kg
Ok, that's definitely impressive. That floor is stronger than it looks.
I know firsthand how heavy those paver and wall stones get :D

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
since I had another such trip today, I took pictures. This is with 44 x 2-3/8 x 12 Retaining Wall Cap at Menards® (13 lb. [*] each, so 572 lb. [*] total) in the back, plus (unpictured) 2 x 60 lb. (*) bags of sand in the back seat. Note the suspension in the back - the gf's C-Max absolutely would absolutely not be happy with this, but it's not super noticeable here (it is noticeable):

20210731_174917.jpg

20210731_174955.jpg

(*) for those of you that don't use Freedom Units : 13 lb = 5.9 kg, 572 lb = 259.4 kg, 60 lb = 27.2 kg
That's pretty much max payload right there if you do the math. If you weigh more than 190 lbs you'd be overloaded.

I think I would have put the sand bags in the frunk to balance it more.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The payload includes all passengers.
The front and rear axles also have limits.
This is a $50 - $60,000 vehicle. U-Haul rents their pickups for $19.95 a day plus mileage. Home Depot rents trucks. Menards rents trucks. Lowes rents trucks.
IMO, putting 700 pounds in the back of a Mach-E is not the smartest thing one might do.

Does anyone know if their is a posted weight limit for in the trunk ? I had to return some tile over the weekend and when I got their the supports for the cover in trunk had broken. I had 4 cases of tile, and did not even think their would be a weight issue but obviously there was.
I cant seem to find the part online to replace it
What did you think that the rear platform was made out of?

In the manual, it references that it has two positions. Clearly in the top position it's resting on supports. So those plastic supports, or the shelf itself, can't take excessive weight. In the bottom position, the shelf is resting on the metal of the car.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The front and rear axles also have limits.
This is a $50 - $60,000 vehicle. U-Haul rents their pickups for $19.95 a day plus mileage. Home Depot rents trucks. Menards rents trucks. Lowes rents trucks.
IMO, putting 700 pounds in the back of a Mach-E is not the smartest thing one might do.
@GoGoGadgetMachE is trying to start an "Ohio man" meme to compete with Florida ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
That's pretty much max payload right there if you do the math. If you weigh more than 190 lbs you'd be overloaded.
I did the math - 914 lb (door sticker) - 572 lb - 120 lb = 222 lb which gives me just a little bit of room for the miscellaneous stuff in the car like the stuff under the shelf, the charging cord extension in the frunk, etc.

gee. thanks for that wisdom.
This is a $50 - $60,000 vehicle.
Your logic then would suggest that no one should consider carrying anything in a $90,000 Lightning when it's out, or at least anything approaching the max load limit.
Thanks for your opinion. Not sure where you're getting 700 lb in the rear from, mind you, unless you are counting everything from the immediate back from the front wheel as "the rear." I don't since counting the middle of the car as "the rear" when the car has a skateboard design actually falls into the category of "not the smartest thing one might do", but whatever.

@GoGoGadgetMachE is trying to start an "Ohio man" meme to compete with Florida ?
yeah, that's what is happening.

I appreciate all of you working to have my back, thinking I can't do basic arithmetic.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
@GoGoGadgetMachE I once brought home wood for a 12x10 deck in my '87 hatchback mustang (2 or 3 trips). I never once computed how I was overloading the car, nor was I stopped on the 2 mile drive home with 2x10's sticking out the hatch and passenger window. Yes, that's right: the 12 footers were sticking a foot or 2 out the passenger window in order to get the center of gravity inside the car. My tires damn near scrapped the wheel wells, but it worked out ok.

Oddly enough no one got near me on the road :)

I loved the utility of that car, and didn't realize how much I missed it until yesterday when I loaded up the back of my Mach E with branches from a tree I cut back. It held a surprising amount, and with the seat covers and rear cargo mat cleaned up easily.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@GoGoGadgetMachE I once brought home wood for a 12x10 deck in my '87 hatchback mustang (2 or 3 trips). I never once computed how I was overloading the car, nor was I stopped on the 2 mile drive home with 2x10's sticking out the hatch and passenger window. Yes, that's right: the 12 footers were sticking a foot or 2 out the passenger window in order to get the center of gravity inside the car. My tires damn near scrapped the wheel wells, but it worked out ok.

Oddly enough no one got near me on the road :)

I loved the utility of that car, and didn't realize how much I missed it until yesterday when I loaded up the back of my Mach E with branches from a tree I cut back. It held a surprising amount, and with the seat covers and rear cargo mat cleaned up easily.
of course I'm reminded of my 95 in fan boat mode ;)

There's a bit of a weird dichotomy with the Mach-E because the shape implies a certain amount of capability that's not there... not just carry weight (which I'm absolutely taking advantage of to the pound ;)) but the ongoing towing thing (which I've said before I don't care about but I know others do) (whether it's the zero number in NA or the low number in the UK and EU)....

that said I think that a lot of times folks expect a crossover to have more capacity than crossovers usually have. that's why I've read the label on the Mach-E and on the C-Max, and I've carried a lot less in the C-Max. ;) And, I've rented a Menard's truck and a Home Depot truck when it made sense to do so. Just no reason to do that when there's no reason to do it. :)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
And, I've rented a Menard's truck and a Home Depot truck when it made sense to do so.
Yeah, it is definitely better to rent the store's truck when needed. Anytime I need a smaller quantity of sheetrock or plywood I rent the truck. Bigger orders I just pay for delivery.

Back when I built my deck, they didn't have rental trucks (at least the ones near me), and since I was young and impatient I basically said "hold my beer" :)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your logic then would suggest that no one should consider carrying anything in a $90,000 Lightning when it's out, or at least anything approaching the max load limit.

Thanks for your opinion. Not sure where you're getting 700 lb in the rear from, mind you, unless you are counting everything from the immediate back from the front wheel as "the rear." I don't since counting the middle of the car as "the rear" when the car has a skateboard design actually falls into the category of "not the smartest thing one might do", but whatever.
I think it's a very valid comparison to compare a Mach-E "SUV" with a pickup truck. I own one (not a Lightning of course). Yes, I think very carefully about coming close to my max load limit of 1,643 pounds of payload, thanks for asking. People overload pickups all the time, you see towing stacks of mulch bags on pallets. I see posts all the time on the F-150 forum where they put a yard of topsoil in the truck, which can weigh between 1,400 and 2,000 pounds, then they loaded their fat butt in the truck, and drove merrily, despite being maybe 800 - 1,000 pounds over payload. Many didn't realize that people count in payload also, or try to say that they're the "driver", so they don't count. Vehicle doesn't care.

As far as questioning your ability to do math, I don't think anyone did that, although they'd be right to do so given that you're in O_io (Go Blue!). Once 20 is exceeded, where does one from O_io go, to someone else's fingers and toes? ;)

I think were questioning whether you realized that you put all this weight on a floor resting on plastic supports, which you may not have realized if you didn't know the shelf had two levels. Apparently you didn't realize it or you wouldn't have done it.

The 700 pound reference I made was for the other person who posted in the thread. But putting weight in the middle of the vehicle also puts some on the rear axle. You'd have to find the weight limits for each axle, then load up, then drive onto a CAT scale to see how much weight you were putting on each axle to see if you were exceeding it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
you screwed up your quoting, but it's clear what you intended.

I'm going to ignore all the Ohio stuff as a bad joke. You must live in Michigan and still be pissed about Toledo.

I think were questioning whether you realized that you put all this weight on a floor resting on plastic supports, which you may not have realized if you didn't know the shelf had two levels. Apparently you didn't realize it or you wouldn't have done it.
no, I knew that it had two levels - I've been on here a while, thanks. maybe you didn't see the post count? There was a time when I thought I had it on the lower level when I didn't, but that's not what's happening here. You may notice in the interior picture in the post that people are coming at me about that the shelf is in the lower position, if you're paying attention. The plastic support is clearly visible on the left-hand side.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Weight Limit in Trunk 1628258614618

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you screwed up your quoting, but it's clear what you intended.

I'm going to ignore all the Ohio stuff as a bad joke. You must live in Michigan and still be pissed about Toledo.

no, I knew that it had two levels - I've been on here a while, thanks. maybe you didn't see the post count? There was a time when I thought I had it on the lower level when I didn't, but that's not what's happening here. You may notice in the interior picture in the post that people are coming at me about that the shelf is in the lower position, if you're paying attention. The plastic support is clearly visible on the left-hand side.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Weight Limit in Trunk 1628258614618
You assumed I screwed up the quoting, but only partly. Tj1497 had it on the upper level and broke the supports.

I'm glad you're able to use your Mach-E as a truck.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You assumed I screwed up the quoting, but only partly. Tj1497 had it on the upper level and broke the supports.

I'm glad you're able to use your Mach-E as a truck.
another one for the list

thesloth

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
Does anyone know if their is a posted weight limit for in the trunk ? I had to return some tile over the weekend and when I got their the supports for the cover in trunk had broken. I had 4 cases of tile, and did not even think their would be a weight issue but obviously there was.
I cant seem to find the part online to replace it
Did you ever find the part number? Is it this part?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Weight Limit in Trunk 1663126517585

Does anybody know the part number for this thing?

Thanks

EVCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium RWD Std, Cyber Orange
Occupation
(No longer "MachNCheese"! Long live "EVCheese".)
Country flag
The little cheese machine safely transported 400 lbs. of mulch today. We spread it over the back cargo area and onto the folded seats.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Weight Limit in Trunk IMG_0874

we also put down a cargo blanket to protect the bumper from scratches.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Weight Limit in Trunk IMG_0875

The car seemed heavy but fine with two adults in it too. We bough a few other things, so total weight around the back axle was probably close to 450 lbs.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The little cheese machine safely transported 400 lbs. of mulch today. We spread it over the back cargo area and onto the folded seats.
I assume you had the cargo floor in the lower position?
Sponsored