methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I am going to DIY ceramic coat my MME in the next week or three. Would you suggest coating all of the glass in addition to the paint? From what I’ve read there’s no reason not to. It’s Crystal Serum Light.
I'd do all the door windows, roof, and mirrors. I personally don't like ceramic on windows with wipers because it can cause the wipers to skip and stutter over the glass. I will sometimes coat the top of the rear glass, just under the spoiler, as that's an area that can collect dust/dirt easily.

I still just Rain-X my windshield/rear window regularly. Tends to work out better for me.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I'd do all the door windows, roof, and mirrors. I personally don't like ceramic on windows with wipers because it can cause the wipers to skip and stutter over the glass. I will sometimes coat the top of the rear glass, just under the spoiler, as that's an area that can collect dust/dirt easily.

I still just Rain-X my windshield/rear window regularly. Tends to work out better for me.
The shop that did a professional Ceramic Coating on our Raptor (CeramicPro) did not use that product on the windshield. It used some other product whose name escapes me atm. That may have been the reason. The vehicle I did myself has ceramic coating on all windows, but its been out in the rain exactly once in the past year and that was very briefly.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
The shop that did a professional Ceramic Coating on our Raptor (CeramicPro) did not use that product on the windshield. It used some other product whose name escapes me atm. That may have been the reason. The vehicle I did myself has ceramic coating on all windows, but its been out in the rain exactly once in the past year and that was very briefly.
Yea - I believe a lot of ceramic coating brands have a more specific coating for glass. I don't have a ton of experience with any on my windshield, but from what I've seen online it's not really worth it to pay EXTRA for it (if it's included for free, sure) since they don't tend to last a very long time if you use your wipers a lot.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea - I believe a lot of ceramic coating brands have a more specific coating for glass. I don't have a ton of experience with any on my windshield, but from what I've seen online it's not really worth it to pay EXTRA for it (if it's included for free, sure) since they don't tend to last a very long time if you use your wipers a lot.
IIRC, the guys at AvalonKing tell you to go ahead and use it on windshields, just be aware that it will wear faster. Wipers are probably the reason as you’ve said. The question is whether it last significantly longer than RainX and this is more cost effective? I’d rather doubt it for most ceramic coatings.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I’m having a 10yr Llumar partial front aka “clear bra” put on next week. $899. Bumper, partial fenders, first 18” of hood, side mirrors, and door edges. It also includes door cups but no discount for the MME lacking handles LOL.

Now the next question is ceramic. Best I think I’ve found is a 10yr IGL Quartz Plus application to all the paint, but no plastic or glass, for $850. This is an “8 step process” that is supposed to involve multiple coats and 1-2 days.

The question is, if I don’t coat the glass and black trim, will I really get much benefit when it comes to cleaning the car? I mean I’ll still have to soap, sponge, and water those areas to get bugs and other gunk off. He’s got a more expensive package that coats everything else, although I don’t think he’s using the same material for the glass.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I am going to DIY ceramic coat my MME in the next week or three. Would you suggest coating all of the glass in addition to the paint? From what I’ve read there’s no reason not to. It’s Crystal Serum Light.
I would not recommend doing the glass. You should do a paint correction before applying ceramic to give it the best chance of lasting 3 or so years. Also be very careful applying and following the directions. Work with small areas at a time. If you leave a large amount of the coating in an area and it cures, it will have to be buffed out to remove. If you want to do something quick and simple use a spray on product like liquid crystal which lasts about 6 months.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The question is, if I don’t coat the glass and black trim, will I really get much benefit when it comes to cleaning the car? I mean I’ll still have to soap, sponge, and water those areas to get bugs and other gunk off. He’s got a more expensive package that coats everything else, although I don’t think he’s using the same material for the glass.
Maybe use a DIY ceramic on the black trim? Avalon King at the like. Or a spray-on coating carefully applied. Ceramic doesn't last as long on windshields. If you're going DIY you could do it on all the sides and rear or just go RainX for all of the windows.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Here is information on testing of PPF (clear bra) after 1 year:

Here is information regarding Ceramic coating after 1 year 9 months.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
Here is information on testing of PPF (clear bra) after 1 year:

Here is information regarding Ceramic coating after 1 year 9 months.
So which one should I buy!?

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
So which one should I buy!?
Looks like the expel Utimate PPF did the best .
4 to 5 of the ceramic did well. Do it yourself . This look like the best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MHB8KHQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1M2ZRRO5ZGFV3&psc=1

Detail installed, looks like the ceramic pro 9h and the ceramic pro sport.

I just got a price for Xpel ultimate full front in So. Cal for $1700.00 with some paint correction included. They are a Opti coat dealer, Not the best ceramic coating.

Last edited:

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this product? I’ve never done anything with my cars, except take them to the Car Spa (local car wash that does a decent job). Wondering if it’s worth it to do anything more for the MME. Also, should I upgrade my Car Spa plan to “hand wash” from “tunnel wash”?
After a bunch of research that I did and my favorite local detailer did on his end, we ended up going with System X Max because of their lifetime warranty. My detailer became a certified installer because he was so impressed with the product after testing it on his own vehicle.

Blackbluff

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Completed a Ceramic Coat 10 days ago after driving the car for about two months. The paint correction step prior to coating application is very impressive even for a new car, The swirls in the paint and clear coat under good lighting is unbelievable. Glad I had it done professionally and it shines like a mirror.

194565743_10226311650324478_5786876752112487575_n.jpg

194951383_10226311650084472_7034690847749603735_n.jpg

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
Apply an Armor Shield Ceramic Coating yourself. Dirts, Slush, and salts will just flow off..... Apply it to everything including glass and plastics, and it lasts up to five years and applies a shield to your car and can be put on in about 1-2 hours

Sin_Chase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
As already mentioned the reason you go to a pro detailer for a coating is not necessarily the coating itself but the prep work.

A lot of new ceramic coating products are very DIY friendly and some even don't really need you to manage Flash off times.

The issue is the paint correction before application as you will lock in any defects under a coating.

The actual cost of product and application of a coating is minimal compared to the prep work (assuming your detailer isn't ripping you off)
Sponsored