What charge level should the HVB be keeping the 12v?

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
I walked out to find my car did the glitch where my lights stay on plus I felt like I was a few updates behind. I'm not usually one of the first to get an update, but it had felt like a while. So I decided to hook up my OBD dongle and check my 12v because I remember people saying the updates only come when the 12v is at least 80% (or was it 85?). I noticed I was in the mid 70s.

I drove later that day to my grandmother's and kept the ODB dongle in to track the 12v. Got it up to like 81% by the time I arrived. But then I left my grandma's and it was down to mid 70s again. Drove home, got it back up to 80ish, plugged my car in and called it a night.

Next morning checked the battery again and... mid 70s again.

Is this normal for my battery to stay around mid 70s? The HVB is supposed to charge the 12v, no? Should the 12v be charged to (close to) 100%? Is my battery dying?
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When the car is on, it should charge to 90%+ after an hour or two. When the car is off, it drains down some. How much off drain seems to vary widely, ideally less than 3% per day but I see upwards of 15% per day loss on some cars.

If the 12V generally stays above 70% I wouldn't worry about it, other than potentially impacting OTAs. OTAs no longer have a set %, it varies depending how long the update is. But for the longer updates they generally require mid-80's or higher.

If you have a smart EVSE, recommend dropping your charge current so the vehicle charges for at least 3 hours continuous per session.

OP
OP
veronicablack

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
When the car is on, it should charge to 90%+ after an hour or two. When the car is off, it drains down some. How much off drain seems to vary widely, ideally less than 3% per day but I see upwards of 15% per day loss on some cars.

If the 12V generally stays above 70% I wouldn't worry about it, other than potentially impacting OTAs. OTAs no longer have a set %, it varies depending how long the update is. But for the longer updates they generally require mid-80's or higher.

If you have a smart EVSE, recommend dropping your charge current so the vehicle charges for at least 3 hours continuous per session.
Ooo I like the idea to keep the car charging for longer. I'll look into that, thanks!
Sponsored