Why Autonowashing Makes Me MADD

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There’s something of a parallel to what happened in the airline industry when we transitioned to glass cockpits and high degrees of automation that were literally inconceivable a few years earlier.

The automation levels in flying are highest where we need them the least (straight and level cruise at high altitudes) and lowest when we need them the most and are the busiest — during the approach phase with multiple conflicting demands and distractors.

I see the sane happening in the rush to claim the first to level 5 self drive. Where automation could be helpful but isn’t possible currently is busy city streets with multiple driveway entrances, intersections with cross traffic, and side streets. Where do we have the greatest degree of automation? Roads like I-5 in California south of Stockton down to Bakersfield where its straight and a multi lane divided road with moderate traffic.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Seems to make sense though, right? It's less expensive, more well tenable, and easier to qualify/validate the simplest scenarios first.

This may be the most important opinion in the article:

In my view, the greatest life-saving technology of the next 20 years won’t be anything “self-driving,” but vision-based driver monitoring systems (DMS), coupled with the application of human factors science to make human drivers into safer drivers.
While some are focusing on improving automation, others will continue working on human driver safety. Both are important, but I place far greater value on driver safety.

I don't want to get into any situation where emergency brake assist is required, but I'll be grateful for having that functionality when it saves lives. I'm also happy to have airbags, traction control, ABS, lane departure warnings, seat belt pretensioning, and so on -- even if none of these systems ever needs to activate.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While some are focusing on improving automation, others will continue working on human driver safety. Both are important, but I place far greater value on driver safety.
This is the area where the aviation industry made the greatest strides as we moved into generation 2 (and beyond now) glass cockpits and automation. How we could monitor and adapt to the high amounts of information provided and varying levels of automation. And just as importantly when to reduce those automation levels to regain situational awareness. It would be rather similar to just driving the car.

The greatest safety margin improvement in autos will result from working on the human factors, not so much the automation.

Besides I lived with "George" my entire professional life, I don't want him haunting my MME.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why Autonowashing Makes Me MADD otto

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The same was true in aviation when we moved into autopilots that did more than level the wings and more or less hold altitude. It’ll be interesting to see what happens as we move self drive further down the road.

What could possibly go wrong? ;)
Sponsored