Why is full charge only 230 miles of range?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I have not researched the reason but I bet one reason the MME is relatively heavier is because it was built on a modified ICE platform. I assume Ford didn't want to delay the vehicle by starting with a new EV platform. I am glad they didn't wait. I think the Lightening is also on a modified ICE platform.
I hadn't realized, and am surprised to hear, that the Mustang is using an existing platform.

I know the Lightning is using the ICE F-150 chassis.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
We also live on a mountain and any time we go more than about 20 miles from home we end up having to climb back in elevation. Pulling this beast up the mountain means losing all (and more) of the gains we get from going down.

Insideevs has a chart (but I can't find a table) of the weights/masses of the various EVs available in Europe in 2021. The Mustang AWD, ER (2300 kg) is, as expected, heavier than the median (1860 kg). I'm sure more digging could illuminate the relative efficiency normalized to mass, but I have to do some writing/editing on work-related stuff right now, and I'm procrastinating that... :)

https://insideevs.com/news/527966/electric-cars-from-heaviest-lightest/

There's just no way to get really high kWh/mi with these heavy beasts. But we also know there were some performance decisions made that decreased the kWh/mi even further. I can get very high (5+ kWh/mi) if I drive like a hypermiler, but I didn't buy the Mustang to drive it like a Leaf.

[Edit to fix typo, the Mustang is 2300 kg in the chart, not 2800 kg.]
Oh trust me, I am not trying to set records in our GT PE but have been interested in knowing how far I can stretch it when I want or need to. I pushed my Bolt to 320 miles once because of an unexpected detour and being too lazy to stop at a friend's house and managed to do a modified coast using a few kwh to go almost 30 miles, I didn't make it home (stopped a few miles from home and hit an L2 charger since there were no DCFChargers around back then. The Mach E coasts even better so it's all an academic curiosity really. The hypermiling strategies are quite different in some ways I've found.

It looks like in the 50s I'm sitting at 3.2-3.3 miles per kwh lately and that's after climbing back up the mountain and 20-30 miles of driving so I'm very happy with that. Freeway is a little lower but I drive like less of a prude than I do in traffic. If I can push a normal daily commute to an average of close to 4 this summer I will be extremely happy. Then I finally get sick of trying and drive it like I stole it in a few months. Same way I did with our Bolt EV.

Kalaua_Farms

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select RWD Standard, 2017 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Retired Hospice Executive
Country flag
I have 1,700 miles on my 2022 Select RWD standard range. I live on Oahu, windward side. my average mi/kwh = 4.4, even when I go over the mountain to Pearl Harbor. tire pressure 39-40 consistently. A "cold" night gets down to 67F, and most days are 75- 80. I mostly drive whisper, one-pedal and enjoy trying to get max regen (but that score only shows up in Engage). I do, however, have the A/C on all the time. Never use heat. Still, the best GOM I get is 220 miles on a 90% charge, which equates to about 244 miles. Since I am retired, and some days I don't even leave the home, I only charge once a week about 60% of battery.
Sponsored