Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e EXT AWD Space White, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Okay so I have the Awd Extended Range but even at a full ? charge it doesn’t show over 200 miles per charge. How can it be rated for 270 miles but I’m not going to be anywhere near that if I start at about 190?!?
Please explain......
Sponsored

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Okay so I have the Awd Extended Range but even at a full ? charge it doesn’t show over 200 miles per charge. How can it be rated for 270 miles but I’m not going to be anywhere near that if I start at about 190?!?
Please explain......
Something to do with how it averages. As you keep driving, that mileage per charge will keep improving. I read that resetting something also fixes it, but not bothered to do so with my car.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The range display has been duly christened the "Guess-O-Meter", or "GOM" for short.

I recently charged my ER-AWD to 90%. The GOM shows 190 miles. I then proceeded to drive it 26 miles. The charge level dropped to 84%, but the GOM actually increased to 192 miles remaining.

Pay attention to your miles per kWh number. 3.1 will give you the EPA range, approximately.

OP
OP

Krimpy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
The range display has been duly christened the "Guess-O-Meter", or "GOM" for short.

I recently charged my ER-AWD to 90%. The GOM shows 190 miles. I then proceeded to drive it 26 miles. The charge level dropped to 84%, but the GOM actually increased to 192 miles remaining.

Pay attention to your miles per kWh number. 3.1 will give you the EPA range, approximately.
Thanks for the info! I knew there had to be a simple explanation!

OP
OP

Krimpy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Something to do with how it averages. As you keep driving, that mileage per charge will keep improving. I read that resetting something also fixes it, but not bothered to do so with my car.
That makes sense. I’m going to be doing a lot more math with electric vs ice! ?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
That’s still an extremely low starting number for 100% I’d reset the driving history.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That makes sense. I’m going to be doing a lot more math with electric vs ice! ?
If you're just driving around town, you don't really even need to bother doing math if you don't want to. Just drive it like you did your ICE. When it gets low, plug it in.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
If you're just driving around town, you don't really even need to bother doing math if you don't want to. Just drive it like you did your ICE. When it gets low, plug it in.
Right - just treat the % charge like you would your gas gauge. Ignore the GOM.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The hourly forum question....
EPA Range ESTIMATES are based on ideal conditions. Ideal conditions include stop and go driving and “highway” driving (which they identify as 60 MPH). This is also done with only a driver in a car (no extra weight), indoors on a dyno (75ish degrees and no winds).
The range ESTIMATE displayed on your instrument cluster (AKA The Guess-o-meter or GOM) shows you Ford’s ESTIMATE and is super conservative to keep you from getting stranded. It also takes about 1000 miles to learn your driving style so right now it is even more guess than usual. It is far from gospel.
Your real range can be found by looking at your trip meter and determining how many miles/kWh you are truly getting. Then account for your battery percentage of your 88kwh battery. If you’re averaging 3.1 miles/kWh, and you’re charged to 100%, you have 272 miles of range. If you’re averaging 2.2 miles/kWh and charged to 100%, then you have 193 miles of range.
My battery is currently showing 55% and 97 miles on the GOM. That means the GOM would show 176 miles on a full charge of my extended range battery. My car tells me I am actually getting 2.6 miles/kWh so my true range at 55% is 125 miles or 228 miles at 100%. Not the 97 that the GOM tells me right now.
So why is my GOM so low and why am I not upset that I’m not achieving EPA ESTIMATES:
1. I carry other people in my car, using more power
2. I live where it’s ALWAYS windy, meaning I’m often pushing a headwind, which uses more power.
3. I sometimes drive more than 60 MPH, which uses more power.
4. It’s freaking cold outside and a cold battery produces up to 35% less power.
5. people who do drive in ideal styles and conditions are getting better than EPA estimates, so I have something to look forward to when Spring arrives in a couple months.
Reasons you shouldn’t be upset yet:
1. Your car is still learning your driving style and the GOM will get closer to your true range as time goes on. (Somewhere around 1000 miles)
2. Some of that is your safety margin to not get stranded.
3. based on the numbers provided, it’s cold where you live too and hopefully you didn’t buy this car without realizing cold batteries don’t work so well.
4. your miles/kWh show that your GOM is an alarmist lie and you can do your own math.
Thank you for listening to my TED talk.
Edit: @Krimpy It’s only fair to add that I too had to learn most, if not all of this, as this is my first EV.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Krimpy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Yeah, I do not have much range anxiety however I’m going across the state of WI from Eau Claire to Green Bay and well. Not a lot of charging options in the middle of the state. Plus, I do log some miles North as well and when I need to go for a few hours it gives me anxiety on if I will make it to a fast charger. I can find stage 2 chargers but those take time and I do not want to sit for 5 hours to get a charge. Once I get dialed in on actual distance I think I will be fine.

ToTheMoonDJ

First Name
Darnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD EXTD - Rapid Red
Country flag
These explanations were really helpful because I was getting concerned I had a defective extended range battery. With 100% charge from the dealership it showed a range of 260~ miles. This was with an odometer reading of 86 miles. So what I learned from this thread so far is...give it time!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
These explanations were really helpful because I was getting concerned I had a defective extended range battery. With 100% charge from the dealership it showed a range of 260~ miles. This was with an odometer reading of 86 miles. So what I learned from this thread so far is...give it time!
And pray for warm weather ?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Miles Per Charge Wrong? 4E492025-0AF8-4060-960D-975B95ABCE20

This is me at 31° this morning and only 445 miles on the odometer.