First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ordered 07/19/21
Country flag
Hello Mach-E Friends.

I would like to put wider tires on the stock 19" Rims that come on the Premium Mach-E. What's the widest I can go? Not looking to go crazy, but a little wider would be great. And don't want to lose any height. The goal is to use the 19" rims... I like them :). These 225s are a little skinny.

I don't know much about tires. Went down a YouTube rabbit hole doing research. Made me dizzy. ? Looking for a simple swap out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
When looking at the tires the load range needs to be XL - these are heavy cars. Next the rolling size needs to be same. A 245/50R19 is very close and will work. If you don't need winter tires then All Season is likely the use. But maybe most important is the silent running ability. Many EVs come with a tire with a foam lining which dampens the road noise. No ICE = very little motor sound so what you hear is road noise. Hmmmmmmmm. Quiet tires sound good!

OP
OP
Tom-E

Tom-E

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ordered 07/19/21
Country flag
When looking at the tires the load range needs to be XL - these are heavy cars. Next the rolling size needs to be same. A 245/50R19 is very close and will work. If you don't need winter tires then All Season is likely the use. But maybe most important is the silent running ability. Many EVs come with a tire with a foam lining which dampens the road noise. No ICE = very little motor sound so what you hear is road noise. Hmmmmmmmm. Quiet tires sound good!
Thanks, Bill! So don't go over 245? Is there a big difference between 225 to 245? Worth it in your opinion?

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
Thanks, Bill! So don't go over 245? Is there a big difference between 225 to 245? Worth it in your opinion?
Your rims are 7" wide. A much wider tire will require wider rims. Now it starts to get complicated. I don't know for sure but I'll bet a wider than 245 will want a wider rim and then you also have to find the right aspect (like a 255 or 265/40) that matches the rolling size and even then, do the make that in a 19", and will it fit under the fenders. At this point head to a tire dealer that knows what they're doing. There is a forum thread on all this and you can drive yourself goofy with the choices. Remember, this tire combination was designed by folks that know way more than us.

OP
OP
Tom-E

Tom-E

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ordered 07/19/21
Country flag
Your rims are 7" wide. A much wider tire will require wider rims. Now it starts to get complicated. I don't know for sure but I'll bet a wider than 245 will want a wider rim and then you also have to find the right aspect (like a 255 or 265/40) that matches the rolling size and even then, do the make that in a 19", and will it fit under the fenders. At this point head to a tire dealer that knows what they're doing. There is a forum thread on all this and you can drive yourself goofy with the choices. Remember, this tire combination was designed by folks that know way more than us.
Got it. That helps. Thanks again!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Michelin Primacy @ 255/50/19 say they’ll fit a rim from 7-9”.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+Tour+A/S&partnum=55HR9PTASXLV2

So you can fit some pretty wide tires if you really want.

I do recommend using a good tire size comparison calculator to see just what changes you’ll be making. I ended up going to 245/50/19 because it was almost the exact same circumference. So I got wider without losing ride height or messing with the speedometer calibration.

Here’s the calculator I used:
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

OP
OP
Tom-E

Tom-E

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ordered 07/19/21
Country flag
Michelin Primacy @ 255/50/19 say they’ll fit a rim from 7-9”.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+Tour+A/S&partnum=55HR9PTASXLV2

So you can fit some pretty wide tires if you really want.

I do recommend using a good tire size comparison calculator to see just what changes you’ll be making. I ended up going to 245/50/19 because it was almost the exact same circumference. So I got wider without losing ride height or messing with the speedometer calibration.

Here’s the calculator I used:
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator
Thanks, Rod!

Happy with the 245s? Which tire did you go with? Pics?

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Thanks, Rod!

Happy with the 245s? Which tire did you go with? Pics?
I learned all this while searching for tires on new wheels. Not the OEM rims. But I found where on the specs in TireRack where it showed what rim width different tires required. Different tires, even from the same manufacture, may spec to different rim width requirements. Not all 255s will fit a 7” rim.
My new wheels are 8.5” wide so I needed to make sure what would fit.
I was sharing what I learned. I recommend checking TIRERACK as a reference before deciding.
So with my new 8.5” wheels I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS in 245/50/19
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wider Tires On Stock 19" Rims? 37AAE5F0-BD7A-4CA0-9F0A-90651043E417

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wider Tires On Stock 19" Rims? 3C4D3A46-0331-4875-B0A4-488665E0DB23

OP
OP
Tom-E

Tom-E

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ordered 07/19/21
Country flag
I learned all this while searching for tires on new wheels. Not the OEM rims. But I found where on the specs in TireRack where it showed what rim width different tires required. Different tires, even from the same manufacture, may spec to different rim width requirements. Not all 255s will fit a 7” rim.
My new wheels are 8.5” wide so I needed to make sure what would fit.
I was sharing what I learned. I recommend checking TIRERACK as a reference before deciding.
So with my new 8.5” wheels I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS in 245/50/19
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wider Tires On Stock 19" Rims? 3C4D3A46-0331-4875-B0A4-488665E0DB23

Looks great!

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Anybody have any pics of how 245/50R19 look on the stock 7” rims? I found one Mazda forum with similar wheels and they seemed to look ok.

The tires spec a rim of 7-8.5” but I’m curious how it will look and handle on the low end of that width range. I don’t mind buying new rims but also don’t really want to, so if I can use the stock ones that would be great.

OP
OP
Tom-E

Tom-E

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ordered 07/19/21
Country flag
Anybody have any pics of how 245/50R19 look on the stock 7” rims? I found one Mazda forum with similar wheels and they seemed to look ok.

The tires spec a rim of 7-8.5” but I’m curious how it will look and handle on the low end of that width range. I don’t mind buying new rims but also don’t really want to, so if I can use the stock ones that would be great.
Thanks exactly what I want to do. If they look good. ?!

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Wanted to throw in a little fun thing.

275/45/19"s will have the exact same specs as the original 225/55/19 except for width.

Seriously. I'm contemplating on replacing all rims to lighter 8.5" wheels and upgrade to the 275/45/19 on every wheel. I may only do the back for the tires but I'm not sure

I'll update when I make a decision and find a wheel that's worth it
Sponsored