Will the Mach E use the same chargers as Tesla models?

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
CCS 2 IS already the standard in europe, and CCS 1 is the defacto standard in the US - other than tesla and some Nissans, everyone else uses CCS 1. The difference between CCS 1 and 2 is that the service in the US is half the voltage of Europe.
Does that mean that they will be able to be a 2 way power connector one day ?
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I have the Tesla Tap adaptor for my CMax Energi . It does work.:
With this adapter cable you can charge your non-Tesla EV on a Tesla Destination, UMC, or Wall Connector charger.

The adapter has a special circuit that allows it to work on any current Tesla charger including Destination Chargers.
This is the link: http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

tesla j tap.jpg

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My understanding is Tesla cars can use any charging station. Non-Tesla cars can use all charging stations except for Tesla Super Chargers, which is still enough coverage for the vast majority of road trips. Tesla clearly "wins" when it comes to charging station access, but keep in mind most electric car owners rarely use charging stations and there is good reason to avoid using them on a regular basis. They are much more expensive than home charging and faster charging puts more stress on car batteries, which can impact their lifespans. Also, it is just less convenient. Regardless of how fast the charge rate is, you still have to sit around for a bit but if you charge at home, it takes just two seconds to plug in. Even when using a charging station, you should only charge up enough to get home or to the next charging station since the charge speed drops dramatically as the State of Charge increases and for all the other reasons above.

So basically, superior charging station access only really matters if your normal commutes requires a fast charger or you frequently go on long road trips, in which case I think you should seriously consider Tesla as they are clearly better for fast charging. If you are unable to do home charging... you are probably better off with a hybrid.
I agree 100%.

Just as buying a gasoline vehicle depends on your needs and destinations, you must consider how you will use your EV (Mach-E or other) before buying. In my case, I live on an island and any point is less than fifty miles from my home. So any EV that has at least 100 mile range is enough for my needs, and I prefer to recharge safely at my home in a protected carport overnight while I sleep.

But if you HAVE to drive over 300 miles on a trip (which I find stupid and inefficient) then buy a hybrid and keep burning gasoline. I can suggest renting an EV and drive it as your would any gas car for a month or more. Then see how it fits in your lifestyle and needs. if it does, then buy an EV. If you have range anxiety at any moment, get a hybrid. I presently drive a hybrid and I can get up to 54 MPG. For short distances and in reverse, I drive with electricity. The transmission has no reverse gear so the engine is clutched out, and the electric motor drives backwards.

Last edited:

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I think it's only a matter of time before they all eventually migrate to a single standard (probably CCS-1 in North America). Even Tesla (begrudgingly). They ended up being the Betamax of charging connectors. Choosing the proprietary path rather than the open source path will end up making them the losers in the charging wars if they don't eventually switch. Probably won't happen until mid-decade though.
CCS is part of the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) J1772 standards, so that will be the dominant connector. BTW, the SAE was who established the standard for gasoline nozzles for leaded (wider) or non-leaded (narrower) diameters. Now every can sold in the U.S uses the non-leaded nozzle diameter.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I agree 100%.

Just as buying a gasoline vehicle depends on your needs and destinations, you must consider how you will use your EV (Mach-E or other) before buying. In my case, I live on an island and any point is less than fifty miles from my home. So any EV that has at least 100 mile range is enough for my needs, and I prefer to recharge safely at my home in a protected carport overnight while I sleep.

But if you HAVE to drive over 300 miles on a trip (which I find stupid and inefficient) then buy a hybrid and keep burning gasoline. I can suggest renting an EV and drive it as your would any gas car for a month or more. Then see how it fits in your lifestyle and needs. if it does, then buy an EV. If you have range anxiety at any moment, get a hybrid.
A PHEV makes more sense than just a hybrid if...such a choice exists for the model/brand you are looking at.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A PHEV makes more sense than just a hybrid if...such a choice exists for the model/brand you are looking at.
If you have easy charging capability at home or work.

If I lived in an apartment building with no dependable outlet each night, I'd probably go with regular hybrid or ICE. But with a dependable outlet, I'd go PHEV.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
CCS 2 IS already the standard in europe, and CCS 1 is the defacto standard in the US - other than tesla and some Nissans, everyone else uses CCS 1. The difference between CCS 1 and 2 is that the service in the US is half the voltage of Europe.
The difference between CCS Type 1 & 2 isn't because the standard US voltage is 120V vs 240V in Europe. It's because Type 1 (US) uses a single-phase setup (maxing out at 7.4 kW) while Type 2 (EU) uses a 3-phase setup (maxing out at 43 kW) due to the high-level differences between how power is distributed in the US vs the EU. That said, if you were to find yourself in Europe with a US BEV, you could connect to the chargers there using a $1,000 adapter ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The difference between CCS Type 1 & 2 isn't because the standard US voltage is 120V vs 240V in Europe. It's because Type 1 (US) uses a single-phase setup (maxing out at 7.4 kW) while Type 2 (EU) uses a 3-phase setup (maxing out at 43 kW) due to the high-level differences between how power is distributed in the US vs the EU. That said, if you were to find yourself in Europe with a US BEV, you could connect to the chargers there using a $1,000 adapter ?
Are you sure CCS Type 1 maxes out at 7.4 kW?

There's a sub-thread starting at https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ustang-mach-e-video-from-ford.1447/post-42039
about choosing the right "TeslaTap". It's clear that Ford is saying the Mach E charges up to 10.5-11.5 kW (details in that range are a little fuzzy). In fact, why would Ford be selling a 48A charger that is capable of 11.5 kW charging if a CCS Type 1 only goes to 7.4kW?

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

There's a sub-thread starting at https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ustang-mach-e-video-from-ford.1447/post-42039
about choosing the right "TeslaTap". It's clear that Ford is saying the Mach E charges up to 10.5-11.5 kW (details in that range are a little fuzzy). In fact, why would Ford be selling a 48A charger that is capable of 11.5 kW charging if a CCS Type 1 only goes to 7.4kW?
AC = J1772
DC = CCS-1

J1772 maxes out at 80A AC, which at 240V = 19.2 kW
CCS-1 maxes out at 500A DC, and the peak power will be based on vehicle system voltage.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Actually the j1772 max is 80A for 19.2 kilowatts at the US standard of 240V. For Europe where the 2 "hots" have a 480V potential, the total max current is 300 amps with the IEC 62196 connector.
Sponsored