Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
2 Months into MME ownership and my windshield is peppered with chips and nicks.

I'm driving the MME on all the same roads that I've driven on for 25+ years. The same roads that have not had the same impact (pardon the PUN) on a Lexus RX400h, Nissan Pathfinder, Hyundai Tucson, Mazda MPV, Mazda CX-5, Ford Expedition, etc.

Am I the only one noticing a ridiculous amount of windshield damage?
Are the windshields soft?
Is mine defective?

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome.

Again....
Yes, this subject may have been brought up before, but there are new owners with new cars and new experiences, so I am curious to hear about what others may have said sometime ago as well as what new owners are experiencing since the subject may have been brought up some time in the past.
Sponsored

Chainspell

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
I noticed this as well on my '21 after a year. It was pretty bad, there were small scratches and chips everywhere. I've also never seen this with any other car I've had. My car before my Mach E was an '05 with 200k miles.

I've only had my '23 for two months, but I already have one or two noticeable chips. I am guessing it's not improved but it's too early to tell for sure. I'm making an effort to not follow other cars as closely; I have the distance indicator turned on and try to keep it blue. Hard to do in the GTPE though...

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag

I'm driving the MME on all the same roads that I've driven on for 25+ years. The same roads that have not had the same impact (pardon the PUN) on a Lexus RX400h, Nissan Pathfinder, Hyundai Tucson, Mazda MPV, Mazda CX-5, Ford Expedition, etc.

Is mine defective?

Again....
Yes, this subject may have been brought up before, but there are new owners with new cars and new experiences, so I am curious to hear about what others may have said sometime ago as well as what new owners are experiencing since the subject may have been brought up some time in the past.
The MME windscreen is made of a hardened solution of white sugar, and warm tap water. Any small flying object that impacts it will chip and or crack the windshield.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Same here. I picked up a chip on the windshield, and then one on the top front of the roof glass, just 1-2 inches from where it transitions from the windshield.
It was very early on in ownership, but I've been mostly chip free since.
Mileage and routes pretty much unchanged.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
when you get your ceramic coating, have them do the windscreen as well - good protection from many chip causing things
mine even survived the glass recall and after

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Is mine defective?

Again....
All else being equal, the windshield of an EV will have greater exposure to road debris and stones. This is because a much larger portion of the air is directed over the car compared to an ICE vehicle. Next Monday will be my 2 year anniversary with this car. It just had it's 4th windshield installed last Friday. They take a beating for sure....

sookestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Same here. I picked up a chip on the windshield, and then one on the top front of the roof glass, just 1-2 inches from where it transitions from the windshield.
It was very early on in ownership, but I've been mostly chip free since.
Mileage and routes pretty much unchanged.
Keep an eye on the chip on the pano glass. I had a small rock chip that turned into a 12-16" crack from heat expansion in the summer. I got the chip in the spring so didn't think much of it until the weather turned hot.

sookestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I find the cars are rock chip magnets everywhere, not just the windshield. I have a few noticeable chips on the front facia, nothing on paint yet, thankfully.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I think it’s a combination of the car design and the roads you have. I’m 2 years in on mine and not even a hint of a chip or crack. We’re also 16 years in on our Tacoma and it’s the same. All asphalt roads here and none are in poor condition.
Sponsored