Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I see so many posts about loss of range when behind this is a loss in the driving efficiency. While the expected range, aka the GOM, is useful for determining when a charge will be needed we don't get information on why the range was decreased. Ford does not tell us, or I am plain cluelesst, what goes into the GOM but a good guess would be a weighted average of the efficiencies of recent trips. Efficiency, which is expressed as distance per kWh consumed. will fluctuate depending on the conditions and the two biggest contributions that you have no control over are the external temperature and the change in elevation (your right foot being something that you do have control over but oh that torque is so much fun).

Here are two trips to the same destination, one was made today in near freezing conditions (left side) and the other was made on 10/31/2022 when it was considerably warmer (tight ride). The elevation graph shows this destination is lower in elevation than the trip starting point by a few hundred feet so the efficiency is higher than the average for the round trip.

So how much did the efficiency change? Back in October I averaged 3.6 mi/kWh in the balmy 59℉ conditions, today the round trip averaged 2.5 mi/kWh so the efficiency decreased about 30% for a 25℉ change in temperature. Currently charging and at 80% SoC the GOM will read ~200 miles according to FordPass, 2.5 mi/kWh times 88 kWh battery capacity might mean I have closer to 220 miles range but I like that the GOM is on the conservative side of range estimates and happily use it for deciding when to charge.

So there you have it, use the Trip odometer to watch your efficiency and if it isn't changing then the GOM is being extra conservative. And I will try to repeat this when I have some 0℉ temperatures to test in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter loss of range study 1668894555828
Sponsored

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350, Bronco, Bronco Sport
Occupation
Lake Geneva Ziplines and Adventures Managing Director
Country flag
I see so many posts about loss of range when behind this is a loss in the driving efficiency. While the expected range, aka the GOM, is useful for determining when a charge will be needed we don't get information on why the range was decreased. Ford does not tell us, or I am plain cluelesst, what goes into the GOM but a good guess would be a weighted average of the efficiencies of recent trips. Efficiency, which is expressed as distance per kWh consumed. will fluctuate depending on the conditions and the two biggest contributions that you have no control over are the external temperature and the change in elevation (your right foot being something that you do have control over but oh that torque is so much fun).

Here are two trips to the same destination, one was made today in near freezing conditions (left side) and the other was made on 10/31/2022 when it was considerably warmer (tight ride). The elevation graph shows this destination is lower in elevation than the trip starting point by a few hundred feet so the efficiency is higher than the average for the round trip.

So how much did the efficiency change? Back in October I averaged 3.6 mi/kWh in the balmy 59℉ conditions, today the round trip averaged 2.5 mi/kWh so the efficiency decreased about 30% for a 25℉ change in temperature. Currently charging and at 80% SoC the GOM will read ~200 miles according to FordPass, 2.5 mi/kWh times 88 kWh battery capacity might mean I have closer to 220 miles range but I like that the GOM is on the conservative side of range estimates and happily use it for deciding when to charge.

So there you have it, use the Trip odometer to watch your efficiency and if it isn't changing then the GOM is being extra conservative. And I will try to repeat this when I have some 0℉ temperatures to test in.

1668894555828.png
Range goes down with cold. It's not simple. Batteries are less able to hold a charge, less able to deliver power, less able to get a charge. Motors are less efficient, air is denser and interior heat takes a lot of power. I'm expecting big changes. My GOM reads 150 at 83% charge. 24 degrees, an hour ago. It's 18 now. Going to be 10 soon. Happy the Mach e goes well and gets warm inside at these temps and I'm staying near to chargers.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter loss of range study Screenshot_20221119-225959_FordPass

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The car shows you where the energy goes on the trip screen

heat, environmental, accessories, propulsion…. Etc.

do the trip again and look at the differences by temp

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350, Bronco, Bronco Sport
Occupation
Lake Geneva Ziplines and Adventures Managing Director
Country flag
For winter charging without heat at a DCFC, I highly recommend a Rumpl blanket or two. They are crazy warm and pack super small. It's like they are powered. I'm keeping one around all winter. Best investment evAr. Our GT is living outside and we don't have a charger. It's going to be 10f tonight. The car drives well and range is dropping. Keeping it around 80% before parking while it's cold.
Sponsored