Wireless CarPlay and the "hot" phone

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I believe the hot phone has more to do with the wireless charging than CarPlay. I've found that if the wireless charging current is weak/inconsistent, the phone gets hot (possibly due to inefficient / intermittent charging).

I just put in another wireless charger on the right, and it charges fine and doesn't get hot. The wireless pad is reserved for free space or my wife's iPhone (which charges fine).
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So this morning I did not put the phone on the pad while driving here. Phone was not hot, lost 4% of battery by using Wireless Carplay with Waze and a podcast playing on a 45 minute drive. Apparently the hot phone is more related to the wireless charging pad than the radios spinning up. Starting to think on a long trip it may be better to plug the phone into USB than to use that wireless pad. It sure is convenient over plugging in. The energy loss to heat is probably negligible - just wonder if it harms the phone to always be charging on the pad and getting so warm.
I think data throughput might be better & more dependable with a (good) USB cable too. Mine connects more dependably when I actually plug it in, and I also had Google fail to load nav directions twice when using only bluetooth (just sat there spinning). Once I plugged it in, it kicked right in.

I just use the cable all the time now. Needs to be a good data-rated cable though, not just a cheap charging cable.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Lol. Just makes it hotter!
It should prevent wireless charging from the various reports I've seen here. As far as wireless charging goes I've personally found that wireless charging leaves the phones warm anyway. That was true of my Samsung Note 8, my iPhone Xr and now my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Hot I'd be more concerned about. Perhaps buy a piece of rubber matting and trim it to fit there. That might stop the wireless charging.

BradCA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Lexus CT200h
Country flag
I have had my phone shut down due to overheating while on the wireless charging pad during a longer trip. It seems to be a combination of Apple CarPlay and wireless charging. If I leave my phone on the charging pad but disable Apple CarPlay, the phone gets warm but doesn’t overheat. Likewise, if I take my phone off the charging pad while using wireless Apple CarPlay, the phone doesn’t overheat - it doesn’t even get warm. For long trips I just use the USB cable.

My iPhone gets warm on the wireless charger at home so it doesn’t seem that the wireless charger in the MME is uniquely causing the problem with heat. At least not for me. The wireless charger I use at home is Apple‘s MagSafe Duo charger.
Sponsored