Would you buy a MME with a 6 speed manual shifter?

auuhehe

First Name
Teemu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
V70 2005 2.5T
Occupation
Lineman
Country flag
Best reason I have heard for this is that some European countries have different licenses for manual and automatic transmissions. this vehicle would let people learn and test on a "manual" and get qualified for them. Useful in this transitional period while we still need people to be able to drive both.
Yeah in Finland we get a limited driving licence, you can only drive automatics if the test is driven with auto
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
As much as I hate a CVT in an ICE, I bet it'd be great married to an electric motor. You could probably get to some crazy top speeds with the constant high torque. And you'd never be stuck in the Drone Zone.
<SNIP>
Except that CVTs donā€™t handle a lot of torque. šŸ˜±šŸ©

Agreed that at most an EV needs a 2-speed gear box. Powerglide, anyone? šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Fake six speed? No. Real two speed? Absolutely. It would be cool to have that extra gear for highway cruising, like the Taycan, but to be able to manually control it. Or maybe a three speed with a super low gear to improve 0-60 speed, and shift to hit 100 in 3 seconds. Or so. Ha. But you get the point. If it changes real gears, yes.

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
Nope !

When I went to test drive and order a Supra they told me No Manual was available......I left w/o ordering !

Last edited:

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitterā€¦and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
It is rich that this comes from Toyota. I couldnā€™t buy a manual transmission from them when I wanted one In my last Toyota ICE.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Same here in the UK.
That seems crazy to me. Way too much government control over people, IMO.

If you know the rules of the road, and can get a car safely from point A to point B, that should be way more than sufficient. It is just their way of feeling powerful. Little and stupid people need to have power over others to improve their self esteem.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
That seems crazy to me. Way too much government control over people, IMO.

If you know the rules of the road, and can get a car safely from point A to point B, that should be way more than sufficient. It is just their way of feeling powerful. Little and stupid people need to have power over others to improve their self esteem.
After my stint working for the UK Government back in the 80's for the Department of Transport there's a bit more to it, including clutch control, biting point, making sure not to stall when pulling away, how not to roll back on a hill whilst at the same time juggling throttle, handbrake and clutch. Plus when to change up and down gear whilst keeping control of the car without labouring the engine or over-revving the engine and generally being tought to use the correct gear for different driving situations and speeds, especially when cornering. By the way, I wasn't a driving test examiner but worked with them. (The things they told me would make your hair curl). Driving test candidate impersonation was a big problem especially people with common surnames and there was no photocard driving licence then.

On the upside if you pass your UK driving test in a a manual gearbox car you can also drive automatics, as these are inherently easier to drive once you get used to the fact there's no clutch pedal and hit the brake thinking that's where the clutch pedal is :). Been there, done that at the beginning of my auto gearbox career.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
With the amount of torque my MME GTPE makes, Iā€™m going to need the 6 speed to come with a lifetime supply of clutch discs.
Sponsored