breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
So here is a bug I have figured out how to replicate. It is a little bit concerning. I wonder if anyone can take one for the team and try to replicate this too.

At work I park on an incline. Sometimes when backing out I get going a bit quick and then flip it into drive and just hit the accelerator. No harm done, it is electric. No gears to break, etc. It just slows the reverse movement then propels me forwards.

The problem is if you're going fast enough it will then say 1 pedal fault and turn off 1 pedal. Not a big deal, just restart the car and 1pd works again. Sets a code for torque calculation performance and 1pd performance.

There's the real problem though. Now cruise control won't work for several key cycles. The first time I did this it took about 18 hours and 3 key cycles to start working again. This time was 4 hours and 3 key cycles. When you turn cruise on it says "Adaptive cruise not available". Then if you go into sync and change it to regular cruise, when you hit the cruise button it STILL says "adaptive cruise not available".

So what the hell. I went and cleared all codes thinking it would fix it. Nope. Key cycled and checked for new codes NO CODES AT ALL in the system. Drove the car 20 minutes home. No codes in the system after driving home. Adaptive cruise still doesn't work. 4 hours later go drive the car and now it works. Still no codes. What is going on? how can they have a warning with no codes available?

What is even more odd is before I cleared them it had the DTC for torque calculation which said "MIL Is ON for this DTC". There was no kind of warning light on, only the cruise control warning.

Video of issue here (after the 1pd fault had been cleared):

My question is...can anyone replicate this? Go backwards at 5+mph then put it in drive and move forwards....Does it do the same thing? Obviously I know how to avoid this issue, but wondering if it is something I should show the dealer. They won't be able to fix it obviously but still it is interesting.

Bonus video of weird SXM bug (vertical video warning):
Sponsored

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I don't have my MME yet..............with my e-Golf I have sometimes similar problems. If the Auto-Hold is "stuck" and I drive by given power there are adaptive cc problems...I have once played with both pedals simultanious and ooops lots of problems, no ABS no ACC and lots more.
Only solution was to exit the car lock it, wait 10 minutes and start again.

It is because there are no mechanical limitations but the software and various sensors can't cope with these impossibilties and they are off according to the computer...

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
While it only has one ratio, there are gears and other rotating elements that have inertia (even the wheels and tires) that will create an impact loads when you change drive direction as one side of the gear teeth that are in contact (for example in reverse) suddenly slam onto the opposite side of all the teeth from the motor suddenly applying torque in the opposite direction (forward). I have no idea if it is enough to create any damage and whether or not it could be related to the faults you are seeing, but personally I would try to come to a complete stop before changing between forward and reverse just to be safe. I'm use to doing this on manuals anyways since reverse typically doesn't have synchro's.

My only thought is maybe the sudden change in direction makes various speed sensors momentarily seem out of sync (i.e. wheel speed and motor resolver). Most speed sensors rely on something physically moving by the sensor every few degrees of rotation (such as metal spline or a magnet). Therefore, at very slow speeds software has to interpolate what going on between those points and it might take a few degrees of rotation before it can detect a change in direction. Therefore, if the motor is turning one way (because software is telling it to) but the wheel sensor still thinks its turning a different way, I could imagine how that would set fault and freak out the ABS system, etc.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I got the Adaptive Cruise Not Available message for a driving cycle, after a good bit of stop and go/resume in really bad traffic. A simple restart open and close door got it back though.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I got the Adaptive Cruise Not Available message for a driving cycle, after a good bit of stop and go/resume in really bad traffic. A simple restart open and close door got it back though.
I had this issue twice. Seemed to turn off and be unavailable after a full stop and attempt to start. Isn’t happened in a while now.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I would try repeating what you’re doing except come to a full and complete stop before moving the dial from reverse to drive, then see what happens.
Also, you’ve answered a question I’ve always wondered about and have been afraid to find out the answer to: it IS possible to change from Reverse to Drive while the car is in motion. Anyone want to try going the other way? Drive to Reverse?
To be honest, I was expecting that there would have been electronic lockouts to prevent trying to change the direction of motion while the car wasn’t at a full stop.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
While it only has one ratio, there are gears and other rotating elements that have inertia (even the wheels and tires) that will create an impact loads when you change drive direction as one side of the gear teeth that are in contact (for example in reverse) suddenly slam onto the opposite side of all the teeth from the motor suddenly applying torque in the opposite direction (forward). I have no idea if it is enough to create any damage and whether or not it could be related to the faults you are seeing, but personally I would try to come to a complete stop before changing between forward and reverse just to be safe. I'm use to doing this on manuals anyways since reverse typically doesn't have synchro's.
While this is true it can't do any damage because you're doing it all of the time. When you go into regenerative braking that is essentially doing the same thing I'm doing just the opposite way. Suddenly changing the pressure on the gears from forwards to backwards. Same general idea and happens all the time. Therefore I don't think this behavior is damaging. Especially because the car lets you do it.

I would try repeating what you’re doing except come to a full and complete stop before moving the dial from reverse to drive, then see what happens.
Well normally I do and I have no issues. The car works fine and drives fine and cruise control works. I just noticed this rare situation.

It obviously is just a situation of the computer getting confused, I realize that, but I'm just wondering if it has happened to others.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Also, you’ve answered a question I’ve always wondered about and have been afraid to find out the answer to: it IS possible to change from Reverse to Drive while the car is in motion. Anyone want to try going the other way? Drive to Reverse?
To be honest, I was expecting that there would have been electronic lockouts to prevent trying to change the direction of motion while the car wasn’t at a full stop.
There's no physical forward or reverse gears, so how fast it allows the motor to apply torque in the opposite direction would have to be software controlled. The gear shift dial may turn but I would think it wouldn't do anything (i.e. from D to R) unless you were below a certain low speed threshold where you might be trying to rock the car out of snow or ice.

There is a physical (electrically applied) park pawl that should ratchet if you attempt to put it in park at speed but I would not advice trying it. Tesla's don't have park pawls (likely to save cost) but I expect legacy automakers to be a little more risk adverse for a while when it comes to park (rollaway) and other safety items because they have lived through just about every safety and legal issue imaginable over the past 50-100 years.
Sponsored