Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E First Edition, 2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Wife came out to completely dead vehicle Monday a week ago. No lights on driver door pillar lock code. No access to car, no nothing. Couldn’t unlock with key fob.

Towed to dealer on Tuesday. Took them until today to look at due to Thanksgiving holiday.

12 V battery! Failure in one of the cells. Approximately 14,000 miles, new April ‘21

Probably could’ve jumped to start, but then would’ve had the problem again in future.

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Wife came out to completely dead vehicle Monday a week ago. No lights on driver door pillar lock code. No access to car, no nothing. Couldn’t unlock with key fob.

Towed to dealer on Tuesday. Took them until today to look at due to Thanksgiving holiday.

12 V battery! Failure in one of the cells. Approximately 14,000 miles, new April ‘21

Probably could’ve jumped to start, but then would’ve had the problem again in future.

Hi Patrick. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

Has the car been getting updates since you bought it? It's possible it hadn't got the issue fixed where the 12v isn't charged by the High-voltage battery like it should.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Has the car been getting updates since you bought it? It's possible it hadn't got the issue fixed where the 12v isn't charged by the High-voltage battery like it should.
That’s quite possible but I would expect that the failure of a cell in the battery would indicate that the cell is somehow defective. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
That’s quite possible but I would expect that the failure of a cell in the battery would indicate that the cell is somehow defective. 🤷‍♂️🐩
I mean that's after it got really low and possibly damaged. I don't trust the dealer to properly diagnose more than the symptoms.

OP
OP
Pcspilot

Pcspilot

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E First Edition, 2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Yes all updates have been coming through.

FirstPony17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e
Country flag

Yup. Called my local dealer and they couldn't see it till January. Called a different dealer and it can be seen this week.

I've had my 21 mme premium awd since Oct 2021. Just under 25k km on it.

I jump started it after a week sitting dead. It worked!. Was so happy...but not for long. After a 10 min drive. Brought it back inside my garage. Turned it off. Then clicked start to access my settings, and got all the lovely alerts. So I decided to press the brakes to fully turn it on... well my brakes glitched out. I turned it off and my brakes pumped on its own for few mins. Brake lights lit up like a ambulance. Then my speakers went off with a loud bass for few mins till it finally died again.

Goes to the dealer tomorrow morning. Hopefully this is repairable.

Anyone else feel bummed? This was my first car I bought. Worked my ass off and decided to buy this and it dies after a year.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
Yup. Called my local dealer and they couldn't see it till January. Called a different dealer and it can be seen this week.

I jump started it after a week sitting dead. It worked!. Was so happy...but not for long. After a 10 min drive. Brought it back inside my garage. Turned it off. Then clicked start to access my settings, and got all the lovely alerts. So I decided to press the brakes to fully turn it on... well my brakes glitched out. I turned it off and my brakes pumped on its own for few mins. Brake lights lit up like a ambulance. Then my speakers went off with a loud bass for few mins till it finally died again.

Anyone else feel bummed? This was my first car I bought. Worked my ass off and decided to buy this and it dies after a year.
Unlike ICE, EV driving doesn't charge battery but only plugging in. When the 12 battery dies the fist thing to try is jump open the frunk then charge the battery using a jumper cable a bit to bring it to life then plug in the car to get it charged fully. Don't know if jump charging is necessary if you don't have to start it right away.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

A ten minute drive would not be nearly enough time for the HV to charge the LV anywhere near full.... my guess would be you would need to leave your MME 'on', with auto-off setting disabled, for several hours or overnight to make sure the 12v battery gets fully charged before you turn it off.

...and schedule a visit to the Dealership for diagnostics, and possible battery related software updates.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
A ten minute drive would not be nearly enough time for the HV to charge the LV anywhere near full.... my guess would be you would need to leave your MME 'on', with auto-off setting disabled, for several hours or overnight to make sure the 12v battery gets fully charged before you turn it off.
Yes it’s slow. I recently noticed it took 100 minutes to go from 45% to 85% SoC while at 15.1V the whole time. If your 12V battery is low, the car needs to be on or charging for at least two hours to fully charge it back to an acceptable level. The last little bit is extremely slow.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
I don’t believe that’s correct. The HVB should maintain the 12V whenever necessary if the systems are functioning properly.
Yes, the HVB is supposed to keep the 12 battery charged, in the sense it doesn’t have to be driven to get it done, driving not only doesn’t help but deplete the HVB Juice. In the other hand ICE 12 v battery gets charged by its alternator when ending RPM reaches at 1000 some, the faster the RPM the faster the charging. This brings the idea of driving on highway to charge battery.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes, the HVB is supposed to keep the 12 battery charged, in the sense it doesn’t have to be driven to get it done, driving not only doesn’t help but deplete the HVB Juice. In the other hand ICE 12 v battery gets charged by its alternator when ending RPM reaches at 1000 some, the faster the RPM the faster the charging. This brings the idea of driving on highway to charge battery.
Driving doesn’t cause it to charge more than just turning it on, but what’s the fun in that? 😄