2021 Mach E broke down and Roadside Assistance never showed up

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company promises its Roadside Assistance provides “Peace of mind. All the time”. Really? We recently waited more than 4 hours for Ford Roadside Assistance and its towing companies to tow our 2021 Mach E from an IKEA parking lot to a Ford dealership. No one ever showed up. I finally called AAA. The AAA truck showed up within 30 minutes and towed the car to the dealer. It turned out to be a defective 12 volt battery so it was an easy fix, but due to the backlog at the service department, it took 8 days to get the car back.

The next time the car needs to be towed, I am not going to waste my time with Roadside Assistance. The Roadside Assistance process was a complete failure. If @Ford Motor Company wants specific details, they are welcome to reach out to me.

IMG_6025.jpg
Sponsored

NJ Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company promises its Roadside Assistance provides “Peace of mind. All the time”. Really? We recently waited more than 4 hours for Ford Roadside Assistance and its towing companies to tow our 2021 Mach E from an IKEA parking lot to a Ford dealership. No one ever showed up. I finally called AAA. The AAA truck showed up within 30 minutes and towed the car to the dealer. It turned out to be a defective 12 volt battery so it was an easy fix, but due to the backlog at the service department, it took 8 days to get the car back.

The next time the car needs to be towed, I am not going to waste my time with Roadside Assistance. The Roadside Assistance process was a complete failure. If @Ford Motor Company wants specific details, they are welcome to reach out to me.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach E broke down and Roadside Assistance never showed up IMG_6025
Similar story on my end. I called Ford Road Side Assistance and was given an ETA of 90-120 minutes. We were stranded on side of Interstate. A state trooper came by and asked if he could help, he did and we had a tow truck within 15 minutes. I wrote letter to Ford. Their response thanks we will try to do better.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The other issue with Ford Roadside is that they want to do it all by text message. I'm fairly into technology, I think that's obvious, but when I'm flustered and stranded in a dangerous situation I don't want to wait for people to text me back. That's when I just want to get someone on the phone and hear a reassuring voice.

I've said it many times on this forum, use your own tow if you have it. It's much better than dealing with Ford Roadside. Just be sure to have a tow card so that the tow company doesn't fuck up your car (refer to the manual here) - Page 271. Keep a tow card in the car (see here).

Steve92110

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Mach E
Country flag
2022 AWD extended range.
On a recent vacation trip to the UK from Spain, my on board system “stopped communicating“ with any external charging points & therefore after stopping at 7 different locations, I was down to 4 miles of charge left & the next nearest point 15 miles away. As I didn’t want to get back onto the motorway & get stranded I had no option but to push my emergency call button for Ford assistance/help….
The system rang & rang for approximately 10 minute, then eventually answered by someone speaking Spanish….when I said that I only spoke English the caller disconnected the call. I tried for the next three hours with the same result everytime.
After 4 hours Using my mobile I registered with a European breakdown service who turned up & took me to a local garage that offered a hardwired 7kw charge. (I was there approx 5 hrs which gave me 10% to travel onto the next charge point).
when I returned to the UK I complained to FordPass who refused to admit any responsibility for Spanish operators of their system….my written complaint is still ongoing 3 months later.

OP
OP
pottslaw

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
The other issue with Ford Roadside is that they want to do it all by text message. I'm fairly into technology, I think that's obvious, but when I'm flustered and stranded in a dangerous situation I don't want to wait for people to text me back. That's when I just want to get someone on the phone and hear a reassuring voice.

I've said it many times on this forum, use your own tow if you have it. It's much better than dealing with Ford Roadside. Just be sure to have a tow card so that the tow company doesn't fuck up your car (refer to the manual here) - Page 271. Keep a tow card in the car (see here).
You're right about the text messaging. More than three hours into this, I got a call from Ford Roadside Assistance with a Tucson, AZ telephone number telling me the second towing company had cancelled and the request would (again) be "escalated". I later tried to call the Ford rep back at the number on my Caller ID, and got a recorded message telling me that number doesn't accept incoming calls.

And yes, I have a laminated copy of the tow card in the glove box and another copy on my phone. The AAA driver really appreciated it.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Black Friday last year took eight hours. Its a third party service. After six hours they did actually try hard to get it resolved. Follow-up service was good.
They did send someone who had no idea how to tow.

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RR Explorer ST, 2021 RR GTPE
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
Lol I'm still waiting, almost a year later,

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Lol I'm still waiting, almost a year later,
Hey, Devin. I can take a closer look into your Mach-E concerns if you'd like. Can you send us a PM with your VIN and the dealership name/location? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ford definitely has an issue with the reliability of Ford Roadside Assistance.

What most people don't know is that if you have to arrange roadside assistance on your own, they will reimburse you.

Here are the covered services and the reimbursement policy:

Roadside Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and includes:
  • Towing.
  • Flat tire change.
  • Battery jump-start.
  • Fuel delivery (for an EV, you will be taken to the nearest public charger, your home, or your preferred Ford Dealer within 50 miles. For distances great than 50 miles, you will be taken to the nearest Ford dealer).
  • Lockout assistance.
  • Winching.
How do I claim a refund with Ford Roadside Assistance*?
Roadside Assistance is included during the first 5 years or 60,000 miles from your vehicle's Warranty Start Date (whichever comes first) and with most Ford Protect Extended Service Plans. If you need to arrange roadside services on your own, Ford Motor Company will reimburse a reasonable amount for towing to the nearest dealership within 35 miles.
To request a refund, submit your original receipts and a copy of the repair order to:
Ford Roadside Assistance
Claims Reimbursement
P.O. Box 9145
Medford, MA 02155
Fax: 1-614 386-3176
If you have any questions, contact Roadside Assistance at 1-800-241-3673.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...s-are-covered-under-ford-roadside-assistance/

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...claim-a-refund-with-ford-roadside-assistance/

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...e-assistance-help-if-my-ev-ran-out-of-charge/

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Agree, most manufacturers that contract roadside assistance are a hit/miss.
Never had to use Ford yet but I am prepared (Auto Club So Cal).

Past roadside memories:

• Mercedes Benz roadside arrived 2 hours after call.
  • Land Rover roadside never arrived - called AAA/ACSC and got towed in 20 minutes.
  • BMW roadside arrived 1 hour after calling and jumped the 12V.
  • GMC never arrived - AAA/ACSC flat tire repaired in 30 minutes (spare had no air).

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ford definitely has an issue with the reliability of Ford Roadside Assistance.

What most people don't know is that if you have to arrange roadside assistance on your own, they will reimburse you.

Here are the covered services and the reimbursement policy:

Roadside Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and includes:
  • Towing.
  • Flat tire change.
  • Battery jump-start.
  • Fuel delivery (for an EV, you will be taken to the nearest public charger, your home, or your preferred Ford Dealer within 50 miles. For distances great than 50 miles, you will be taken to the nearest Ford dealer).
  • Lockout assistance.
  • Winching.
How do I claim a refund with Ford Roadside Assistance*?
Roadside Assistance is included during the first 5 years or 60,000 miles from your vehicle's Warranty Start Date (whichever comes first) and with most Ford Protect Extended Service Plans. If you need to arrange roadside services on your own, Ford Motor Company will reimburse a reasonable amount for towing to the nearest dealership within 35 miles.
To request a refund, submit your original receipts and a copy of the repair order to:
Ford Roadside Assistance
Claims Reimbursement
P.O. Box 9145
Medford, MA 02155
Fax: 1-614 386-3176
If you have any questions, contact Roadside Assistance at 1-800-241-3673.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...s-are-covered-under-ford-roadside-assistance/

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...claim-a-refund-with-ford-roadside-assistance/

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...e-assistance-help-if-my-ev-ran-out-of-charge/
What is the “reasonable amount”? $50?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
What is the “reasonable amount”? $50?
I expect it's much higher, and would be dependent on things like a surcharge for it being 3AM, driving it 47 miles, etc. Gives them an out to say "that's not reasonable".

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I expect it's much higher, and would be dependent on things like a surcharge for it being 3AM, driving it 47 miles, etc. Gives them an out to say "that's not reasonable".
I’m better off letting my insurance cover it, they know the local tow companies and always reimburse fully.
Sponsored