Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2011 Honda Element AWD EX
Occupation
consultant and specialty camera operator
Country flag
I wonder if the '23 mach-e will still have LFP for standard range. Or maybe that'll be for ROW only now. I was looking forward to a standard range LFP with the tax credit but that seems unlikely now.
I found an article that quoted a Ford exec as saying LFP would be used it 2023 Mach Es, but didn't say they'd be in ALL of them - so unclear if they're going to switch mid-year or make them all that way. I would think they'd build them all the same would be my semi-educated guess; since if LFP is lower energy density, you'd need more material, hence bigger battery pack, hence different size so different mounts, etc - you'd want all '23s to be the same for repair purposes.

EDIT - or possibly have standard battery pack LFP and Extended Range be the higher density existing tech - that would make some sense, and the two packs might be same size.
Sponsored

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
battery pack LFP and Extended Range be the higher density existing tech - that would make some sense, and the two packs might be same size.
That's what I was thinking because that is similar to what Tesla did for the model 3 SR+.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The issue isn’t the mining or existence of the minerals in the US. The issue is the processing of the raw minerals after it has been mined.
A59C0DA7-DF8B-496E-A3C7-3CD60FAD8221.jpeg

The US simply doesn’t have the infrastructure set up to process minerals. And it’ll be difficult to get that you and running because of the environmental impacts and push back from the environmentalist.

Also, there's a reason we don't build a lot of things in the USA. Your iPhone would be $3,000 dollars. People love made in USA but they're unwilling to pay for it. I predict that these EV credit qualifying vehicles will be more expensive than your non-US built EVs. Not because the manufacturers want to take your $7,500 credit and pad their profits, it's going to be because it'll cost more to manufacture in the US due to minimum wage requirements.
I wonder how much of that is labor? I’m told that the manufacture of most Apple gadgets is extremely labor-intensive, hence why the manufacturing is done in low labor-cost countries. I remember, back when I went to college in the Stone Age (the “notebooks” we used actually had paper pages in them!), we were told the “factory of the future” was a “lights-out” factory (so-called because it was totally automated and the robots didn’t need lighting). Well, here we are in this Brave New World of “Full Self Driving” cars and Supersonic Passenger Jets so advanced they’re relegated to museums, and our most desirable gadgets are STILL made by armies of labor 🙄

Caulk-E

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
I wonder how much of that is labor? I’m told that the manufacture of most Apple gadgets is extremely labor-intensive, hence why the manufacturing is done in low labor-cost countries. I remember, back when I went to college in the Stone Age (the “notebooks” we used actually had paper pages in them!), we were told the “factory of the future” was a “lights-out” factory (so-called because it was totally automated and the robots didn’t need lighting). Well, here we are in this Brave New World of “Full Self Driving” cars and Supersonic Passenger Jets so advanced they’re relegated to museums, and our most desirable gadgets are STILL made by armies of labor 🙄
Being in the Tech Industry for over 20 years, I can tell you it’s partially labor costs, but also so many other things. More than we can ever discuss on this thread, but I’ll give you a few examples. Tech gadgets are mostly built in China not just because of the low cost labor, but also because China has set themselves up logistically. The semiconductor chips and all the parts are manufactured next door. If we were to build these gadgets in the US, companies would have to pay shipping costs to get all the components into the United States. There’s also a physiological challenge as well. These smart phones are incredibly compact with components that are extremely small. Americans are physiologically larger than Chinese people, with larger hands to match. Not only can the Chinese build tech gadgets cheaper, they can also build them faster due to their smaller hands. That’s why you see some of these companies, in the past, get in trouble for using child labor to build their products. Partially because they need more laborers in the factory, but also because children have the smallest hands and they’re less prone to arthritis.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Being in the Tech Industry for over 20 years, I can tell you it’s partially labor costs, but also so many other things. More than we can ever discuss on this thread, but I’ll give you a few examples. Tech gadgets are mostly built in China not just because of the low cost labor, but also because China has set themselves up logistically. The semiconductor chips and all the parts are manufactured next door. If we were to build these gadgets in the US, companies would have to pay shipping costs to get all the components into the United States. There’s also a physiological challenge as well. These smart phones are incredibly compact with components that are extremely small. Americans are physiologically larger than Chinese people, with larger hands to match. Not only can the Chinese build tech gadgets cheaper, they can also build them faster due to their smaller hands. That’s why you see some of these companies, in the past, get in trouble for using child labor to build their products. Partially because they need more laborers in the factory, but also because children have the smallest hands and they’re less prone to arthritis.
Thanks! I’ve actually heard a lot of that. Agree this isn’t the place to go into that detail. Your comment about the labor and physiology goes straight to my tongue-in-cheek comment about that mythical manufacturing future that never was 😀

DadwithaMach

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD Ext
Occupation
Help Desk Manager
Country flag
9/15 is the new date for Maverick
I don’t think they have a clue about MachE yet
More and more failures after the fix.
So many 2022 ‘s that will be 2023’s.
I have two they probably will flop over and I know three people who also have orders in
It might be even worse for the lightning standard range. They might see orders unheard of in recent memory, no way to handle them.
Just saying, it’s all funky now. Real funky

I agree, no one knows it's just guessing back and forth with everything out there.... Though as of this morning the news is reporting "Taken with a grain of salt" that dealerships are starting to show more lead time with cars sitting on the lots... So if that is true the strain on parts/cars are starting slowly to move back on what it used to be.

From everything I read on the forms and paperwork I've seen and what my saleswoman has said, it's going to be this Thursday 8/25.... At first this was stated to be a 08/15 drop on ordering, then it came out to move out to 8/25 or "late Aug" per my saleswoman...

But either way I'm looking to order one and also keep my options open for others.... as I told my GF whatever comes first is what I'll take if it's this or that or whatever..

Let's just hope that the server/site doesn't crash :O

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
I agree, no one knows it's just guessing back and forth with everything out there.... Though as of this morning the news is reporting "Taken with a grain of salt" that dealerships are starting to show more lead time with cars sitting on the lots... So if that is true the strain on parts/cars are starting slowly to move back on what it used to be.

From everything I read on the forms and paperwork I've seen and what my saleswoman has said, it's going to be this Thursday 8/25.... At first this was stated to be a 08/15 drop on ordering, then it came out to move out to 8/25 or "late Aug" per my saleswoman...

But either way I'm looking to order one and also keep my options open for others.... as I told my GF whatever comes first is what I'll take if it's this or that or whatever..

Let's just hope that the server/site doesn't crash :O
The point about mass increase in demand is totally correct. Between the increased interest in EVs to reduce cost pressures from gasoline price increase, Publicity around EV tax credits from the inflation reduction act (more are now more aware of the financial benefits), and the pent-up demand for the award winning MachE EV, 2023 order demand is definitely going to be off the charts.

Again, if we don’t see order banks open on Thursday I think the October date allegedly sent by Ford to dealers is realistic to give Ford a chance to ensure production can scale with the second production line opening in 2023.

I really should have reserved a premium or GT this year.

kellyNFG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
not a Mach-e
Country flag
I just got a call from one of the dealerships I was talking to that the order bank will open September 15th. I don't know if that's true, the dealership I was planning on ordering from hasn't called me to tell me that but it seems like none of the dealerships are really in the know.

Celtic4

First Name
Seamus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD SR, Kia Optima
Country flag
Hoping that the August 25th date proves to be accurate. Not sure how the process works though. Would I need to go into the dealership and make the order there or would I be doing it directly on the Ford website?
I am planning on going with a Premium AWD just debating still with myself on whether to add the extended range battery or not.

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
I'm not so sure the order bank is opening tomorrow - as I do not believe the order guide has been released yet - and it was reported that the order guide should be available 2-3 days before the bank opens

Celtic4

First Name
Seamus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not so sure the order bank is opening tomorrow - as I do not believe the order guide has been released yet - and it was reported that the order guide should be available 2-3 days before the bank opens
Is an order guide something we would be sent by Ford if you signed up for notifications from them? I am thinking you likely will be right but still hoping your wrong as I really want to get that order in.

x19

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2023 Premium AWD ER pending dealer order
Occupation
IT Engineer
Country flag
Is an order guide something we would be sent by Ford if you signed up for notifications from them? I am thinking you likely will be right but still hoping your wrong as I really want to get that order in.
No, it's for the dealer to properly place the order and see all the available options/trims/etc. Search for "order guide" on this forum and you should find the 2022 one pretty easily.

Celtic4

First Name
Seamus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, it's for the dealer to properly place the order and see all the available options/trims/etc. Search for "order guide" on this forum and you should find the 2022 one pretty easily.
Great thanks for that. Will look for that now. Still hoping your wrong about tomorrow but thinking you will be right!

DadwithaMach

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD Ext
Occupation
Help Desk Manager
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2023 Order Bank open date? 7F127872-B537-4D41-8B9C-921290A47000

From my dealer/saleswoman
Sponsored