Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
You can dsim the telemetry out of windows ltsc and have a firewall that is not defaulted to allow. I am looking at my options now to gaining back control of the hardware I own and will most likely give up on what I see offered by ford. It actually says paak will not work if it can not track your activity in the background when you are not using it. It is close and will most likely soon change my wi-fi password and kick it off. Appears based on the status of the ford servers it having a backdoor channel into my network may not be worth it. When it deletes peoples paak and passcodes that relationship becomes understood. Good for sheep but uncomfortable for some.

Not having the software to manage and maintain my vehicle unless they approve that and can track you not only when you do but when you do not use their app is not acceptable to some. This app may be left on one phone and then fired up to remote start and that is it. I will get used to the fob.

You are seeing the last status of the vehicle before ford servers fell asleep and/or allowed it is not something I need to see anymore when in bluetooth range. Control and tracking by companies when not required may be becoming the norm but it does not have to be accepted and/or tolerated by the masses. Server interaction required to maintain and operate what they own when that interaction is not required can be a problem for some. Ford can go down any ethical path they like but not all need to follow. Understand fordpass now and I admit I did not prior to purchase.

PAAK (top row Bluetooth) and charging status when in Bluetooth range is between me and my car and their control of that interaction and approval of when that can take place may not be required. As noted those two would be nice to be standalone or they may never stop the complaints or develop any trust. I am not the first to request that on this forum just maybe explaining it in a different way in hopes of seeing a change. All constructive and I have workarounds so I am good.

Car drives like 90 and love it. Software eh ;) ?
The car has software all over it. You simply can’t say “give me the hardware platform and remove every bit of software.” You won’t even be able to open the doors to the vehicle. The “accelerator” petal isn’t a simple rheostat that directly regulates the amount of current flow from the battery pack to the motors. It is an input to a dedicated processor with software. Rip out the software and the pedal is about as useful as air conditioning in Alaska ?

One thing that may be possible, for someone who is sufficiently determined, is to build an electric vehicle from the ground up, from components, and custom write their own software, from scratch, for all controllers in the vehicle.

As for me? I’ll just stay away from Google and Facebook as much as I can, and get on with my life ?
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The car has software all over it. You simply can’t say “give me the hardware platform and remove every bit of software.” You won’t even be able to open the doors to the vehicle. The “accelerator” petal isn’t a simple rheostat that directly regulates the amount of current flow from the battery pack to the motors. It is an input to a dedicated processor with software. Rip out the software and the pedal is about as useful as air conditioning in Alaska ?

One thing that may be possible, for someone who is sufficiently determined, is to build an electric vehicle from the ground up, from components, and custom write their own software, from scratch, for all controllers in the vehicle.

As for me? I’ll just stay away from Google and Facebook as much as I can, and get on with my life ?
I voiced my opinion and don't think I can be any clearer. Dead horse as far as I am concerned. There are ethical none tracking services out there. Just need to find one next time. Duckduck and wife likes facebook so I know how to maintain it but never use it. I know how to get rid of Ford.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Two separate problems I see here, the car and the app.

The car has telematics and an LTE modem so Ford knows where the car is (unless you pull some fuses). As much as I don’t like this I accept it and the solution is in data privacy laws that allows you to tell Ford to not collect or share the information.

On the other hand, the FordPass app tracks me if I give it permission. it uses location for trips and Paak and both are severely flawed.

1. Trips
Ford could do trip logging using car location but is cheap and doesn’t want to use the car data plan for recording trip data. So instead of logging all trips with useful data it uses the phone location and data plan for this. And it doesn’t work if you use CapPlay or someone drives the car with the key fob (like your valet or mechanic).??

2. PaaK
My previous car (Tesla M3) did just fine without location tracking, that PaaK requires location tracking is a terrible design.

i don't think Ford is evil but I do think they can be clueless. Maybe Doug Field will help but the cars have more software content than ever and last I checked the plant shutdowns aren't being caused by lack of old school car parts.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
With FordPass 3.31, do you still see that issue?
I haven't seen the oil life in 3.30, and now in 3.31 still do not see it.

Blinker fluid is still missing, and that's a big miss.

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag