Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Seems the EPA range came in higher on each but they lowered them?
I thought that might be the case. It just didn't make sense to me that Ford hit their original estimates so precisely.
Sponsored

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Are these numbers reversed? The battery is bigger, but less range?

Ford Mustang Mach-E 300 mile EPA range has been certified! 1608039971536

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hmm. I can only think of two reasons for this so far:

- lowers warranty risk (if 70% battery capacity threshold is measured by range; Ford's warranty is entirely opaque on how this is measured)

- more buffer for future OTA updates that "unlock" more range
Or they want to set lower expectations for when people drive 70mph and the range comes in lower than EPA.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Are these numbers reversed? The battery is bigger, but less range?

Ford Mustang Mach-E 300 mile EPA range has been certified! 1608039971536
No, they are correct but misleading as the Mach E's USABLE battery is 88kwh compared to Y's usable 75kwh. But yes the Y has more range with a smaller battery, owing to several factors. One is that the Y has less drag (the Mach E opted for looks over aerodynamics), but Tesla has also had years to tweak their tuning for maximal efficiency. The Mach E will get better over time like the Teslas have, but for now it's a sizable gap in overall range. That range differential really only comes into play for long trips so it isn't as big a deal as you'd imagine.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Mathematically what can they increase to and leave a safe buffer?
The ER battery is reserving about 11 kWh. For comparison, I think Tesla reserve is about 3 to 4 kWh, the upcoming Nissan Ariya supposedly reserves 2 to 3 kWh.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
The ER battery is reserving about 11 kWh. For comparison, I think Tesla reserve is about 3 to 4 kWh, the upcoming Nissan Ariya supposedly reserves 2 to 3 kWh.
That's a bummer, thanks.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, they are correct but misleading as the Mach E's USABLE battery is 88kwh compared to Y's usable 75kwh. But yes the Y has more range with a smaller battery, owing to several factors. One is that the Y has less drag (the Mach E opted for looks over aerodynamics), but Tesla has also had years to tweak their tuning for maximal efficiency. The Mach E will get better over time like the Teslas have, but for now it's a sizable gap in overall range. That range differential really only comes into play for long trips so it isn't as big a deal as you'd imagine.
Also, Tesla chooses to use a different set of criteria (5-cycle test, I believe), rather than the more common 2-cycle test Ford and most other use. So it's a bit of apples-to-oranges.
Sponsored