70%, 80%, 90%?? For those charging at home, what threshold do you use?

Orangeeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw
Country flag
New owner, slightly confused
Here is a link where they say
WHAT CHARGE LEVEL SHOULD I SET MY VEHICLE TO?
For most Ford electric vehicles, the recommended charge level is 90%. Avoid charging to 100% when you don’t need that range, though 100% charge is is recommended before beginning a longer trip.

In the 2022 owner's manual it states "
Use AC charging when possible and minimize the use of DC charging. It helps to preserve your high voltage battery's efficiency and lifespan.
We recommend ending DC charges at 80% state of charge."
and
"With Charge Scheduling you can improve the high voltage battery's longevity by delaying the start of charging and setting a maximum charging limit. It is recommended to set your preferred charging times to be at least 2-3 hours after your typical plug in time. This allows the battery to cool before charging begins. Additionally, setting the maximum charge level to 90% for everyday usage reduces strain on the battery."

So...if charging at home (which is AC I guess) is 90% preferred or the maximum recommended? Is there any advantage to lower thresholds? Any engineers, electricians, or scientists in the forum?
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I keep the useable state of charge between 20-90%, and charge to 100% only on days where I’m driving in excess of 100 miles.

Djynn81

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Same 20-90% I maybe wrong but 90% charge is technically only 80% of the battery capacity seeing they limit the full use of the battery. I charge 12am-10am. Well after I drive last to equalize the battery

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I think you are fine setting it to 90% or below. For me, I have mine set to 85% and will hit the charge to 100% button when it is charging at night if I know I will be going on a trip the next day that is 150 miles or more.

DrJay32

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.luminescentphoto.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
I’ve set mine to charge to 90% between 10pm and 6am (mostly to allow the battery to cool).
I think that with the extra battery overhead, you’re totally safe at 90%, but you could be more conservative and go with 85%, as this would roughly work out to 80% of the total battery capacity.

For SR battery: 75.7 kWh x 0.8 = 60.56 kWh
60.56 kWh/70kWh = 86.5%

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
With most of my driving being local:
  • In the winter I charge to 70% since I'm plugging in daily for preconditioning
  • Outside of winter I charge to 90% and don't charge again until I get below 30%
In both cases I have a scheduled charging time to try to make sure the battery has cooled.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
80% and always plugged when we return home. Schedule set to off-peak utility rate time with an independent electrical meter.

Don’t need 90% of the range on a daily basis. May not make much difference to the battery health but I feel better charging to a number closer to the 50% happy place. But while still having enough range for impromptu local trips.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
So...if charging at home (which is AC I guess) is 90% preferred or the maximum recommended? Is there any advantage to lower thresholds? Any engineers, electricians, or scientists in the forum?
You are correct - all home chargers are AC.

There has been a lot of discussion in this forum about the best charge level. Lithium batteries are the least stressed when the battery charge is between 40% and 80%. However, the charge level shown on the display is not the actual charge level of the battery.

Ford provides a buffer and does not give us full access to all 98kWh. As another poster mentioned, 90% on the display is probably equivalent to around 80% of the actual battery capacity. I suspect it is more like 85% since the buffer is not just on the top end, there is a buffer when the car display gets to 0% as well.

But Ford is correct to recommend 90% as the typical charge level. If you want to be especially nice to your battery, you could charge it to 70% or 80%. I would not let it get below 40% on a regular basis but it is not likely to have a measurable impact if you do. I definitely would not go below 20% unless you have to.

Personally I charge to 90% at home. I never know when I might need to take an emergency trip and having the car at 90% makes it relatively quick to charge to 100% if needed.
Sponsored

Last edited: