Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I don't understand this policy. So they don't want to update newer production cars but they'll update older ones? I wish I had know this when I bought the car.
Since its a dealer installed update i believe they did this to take it easy on dealers, so they werent bombarded by appointments to get the update. Spacing it out gives dealers some room to get them all in. Just my opinion. I had it done when i had my windshield/roof recall down back in march.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Defect rate so far is less than 1%.
One or even multiple of anecdotal examples isn't enough to say that is not the issue.
Yes, that's why I said it's one anecdotal example and I'm just skeptical that DCFC would be the main cause, instead of saying I know that it isn't. DCFC is a controlled event, heavily tested at various power levels Ford researched before choosing the charge curve they did. Just seems more likely to me that frequent aggressive starts that some drivers undertake while most don't would be the more likely cause, forcing max power through the contactors (or some combination of both). But that's just my guess as it seems more logical. FWIW.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since its a dealer installed update i believe they did this to take it easy on dealers, so they werent bombarded by appointments to get the update. Spacing it out gives dealers some room to get them all in. Just my opinion. I had it done when i had my windshield/roof recall down back in march.
It's also more costly to Ford to pay for hours of labor at a dealership vs just broadcasting it via OTA. Frankly I'm a little surprised they offered it as a CSP at all, for that reason.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Yes, that's why I said it's one anecdotal example and I'm just skeptical that DCFC would be the main cause, instead of saying I know that it isn't. DCFC is a controlled event, heavily tested at various power levels Ford researched before choosing the charge curve they did. Just seems more likely to me that frequent aggressive starts that some drivers undertake while most don't would be the more likely cause, forcing max power through the contactors (or some combination of both). But that's just my guess as it seems more logical. FWIW.
The NHTSA write up also says that there is part-to-part variation. I suspect that this is likely a major factor in why some experience this problem while most do not.

At any rate, I still stand by my comment that were it me, I wouldn't be hankering for a faster DCFC charging curve right now. (As it is, I have no choice since my GT is a 2022 and AFAIK came with the faster charging curve installed.)

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
What is the build date of your car? If it is 9/30/2021 or earlier, you can get 21P22 completed at the dealer which provides the fast charging update among other quality of life improvements. If it is after that, you'll have to call your dealer and see if they'd be willing to do them for you for free, which most won't or you can pay them, but that can be pricy!

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...gram-21p22-software-calibration-update.11677/
How much does this cost? Always assumed it was free.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
How much does this cost? Always assumed it was free.
As I stated in my post, it is free if your car was built through 9/30/2021, per the link I posted. If it is after that, dealers only do updates for free if there is a TSB, problem, etc. that warrants it. If nothing warrants them getting paid for the work to do the updates, then they're either super nice and do them for free or bill you at the hourly tech rate.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The NHTSA write up also says that there is part-to-part variation. I suspect that this is likely a major factor in why some experience this problem while most do not.

At any rate, I still stand by my comment that were it me, I wouldn't be hankering for a faster DCFC charging curve right now. (As it is, I have no choice since my GT is a 2022 and AFAIK came with the faster charging curve installed.)
In regards to the charge curve update from 80-100% (21P22), it's actually just bumping up the power from ~11kW to ~43kW. It's typically 80-125kW for the 0-80% SOC area before that, and the update doesn't improve that part of the curve.

Since it's still way below peak power, seems unlikely this particular upgrade would have any impact on the contactor issue.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
In regards to the charge curve update from 80-100% (21P22), it's actually just bumping up the power from ~11kW to ~43kW. It's typically 80-125kW for the 0-80% SOC area before that, and the update doesn't improve that part of the curve.

Since it's still way below peak power, seems unlikely this particular upgrade would have any impact on the contactor issue.
I guess we'll find out once we know what the software change actually does...
Sponsored