Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah. After sleeping on it, I‘m commited to peeling the tint off. Though I’d still like to take both cars out to the feild and see what the difference is in how far I can actually see with both regular headlights and brights. I’m not sure how many of those LUX are in the bright white spectrum, nor how far it changes the projection. ?
Could try it out on 81 and on some back roads for comparison. ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Could try it out on 81 and on some back roads for comparison. ?
Try spotlighting deer in the back field. How many sets of eyes can I see with her headlights versus mine. ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
@BMT1071 @Jimrpa See above folks ?? Got my light meter. ?
I’m sorry about the results. I wonder if there’s some kind of photochromatic film that would remain dark when the headlamps are off and turn transparent when they’re on? At work, we have special privacy windows for some of the rooms that can be adjusted to go from transparent to opaque by the room occupant or by staff.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’m sorry about the results. I wonder if there’s some kind of photochromatic film that would remain dark when the headlamps are off and turn transparent when they’re on? At work, we have special privacy windows for some of the rooms that can be adjusted to go from transparent to opaque by the room occupant or by staff.
You’re using Big words for this simple country boy Jim. But maybe worth looking into. I can Google with the best of them. ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
By the way, color temperature is also important.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You’re using Big words for this simple country boy Jim. But maybe worth looking into. I can Google with the best of them. ?
Sorry about that - I actually “get” what you’re trying to do (and normally black is my favorite color - just not in cars ?). I’m just grasping at straws for an answer.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Sorry about that - I actually “get” what you’re trying to do (and normally black is my favorite color - just not in cars ?). I’m just grasping at straws for an answer.
I’m not married to the idea. Just thought it was cool if it didn’t compromise things much. It passed the eye test driving to work last week when it was still dark at 5:30 AM. But the light meter has me questioning myself. I like to putter and learn.
I did find photochromic tint exists, but I wonder if the LED headlights would darken it, or only the UV light of the sun. And it looks a little more expensive than I want to pay just to experiment with.

Last edited:

THXDIAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VOLVO XC90 T8, MUSTANG GT CONV
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
MICHIGAN TINT LAW – LEGAL TINT LIMIT FOR PASSENGER VEHICLES
  • Front Windshield: It is ILLEGAL to tint this window
  • Front seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness can be used 4″ inches from the top of the window
  • Back seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
  • Rear window: up to 35% tint darkness allowed

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
MICHIGAN TINT LAW – LEGAL TINT LIMIT FOR PASSENGER VEHICLES
  • Front Windshield: It is ILLEGAL to tint this window
  • Front seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness can be used 4″ inches from the top of the window
  • Back seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
  • Rear window: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
Pretty much mirrors NY, except the write it as 70% visible light transmission. Neither addresses headlights at all.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Pretty much mirrors NY, except the write it as 70% visible light transmission. Neither addresses headlights at all.
I'll bet they never imagined that someone would actually want to reduce the effectiveness of such an important safety feature. That's like cutting part of the way through the seatbelt to allow it to flex for more comfort.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I'll bet they never imagined that someone would actually want to reduce the effectiveness of such an important safety feature. That's like cutting part of the way through the seatbelt to allow it to flex for more comfort.
You’re probably correct. I’m not actually trying to reduce my headlights. I was led to believe that it let the light through. I was imagining kind of a “one way mirror” effect where it looked dark from the outside but still let the light shine through. Looks like I was wrong. I can admit that.
While I’ve got you here @ChasingCoral , did you see the Facebook Mach-e nation post from Anush Kumar. He striped his white MME with a grabber blue color. Maybe an opposite of what you wanted to accomplish. Looks niiiiice.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You’re probably correct. I’m not actually trying to reduce my headlights. I was led to believe that it let the light through. I was imagining kind of a “one way mirror” effect where it looked dark from the outside but still let the light shine through. Looks like I was wrong. I can admit that.
It's a cool idea if you can figure out a way to make them look dark but not reduce light. One-way mirrors actually reduce light significantly, so that won't work for you. The photo chromatic might work as Transitions brand lenses only darken when exposed to UV -- they don't darken while driving in most cars. The question is if there is much UV coming out of those LEDs. Once I have Marlin back from the body shop I may see if the headlights will darken transition lenses (or someone else can check).

While I’ve got you here @ChasingCoral , did you see the Facebook Mach-e nation post from Anush Kumar. He striped his white MME with a grabber blue color. Maybe an opposite of what you wanted to accomplish. Looks niiiiice.
Cool. Do you have a direct link? I tried finding the pictures and had no luck.
Sponsored