A new low. Cold weather round trip, 1.55 mi/kWh, Range of 138 Miles, Premium ER AWD.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As much I love my Mach E, the winter range is pathetic. It’s really my one issue with the car (and sometimes the infotainment & ford app).

my car in this recent 10-20 degree weather gets only between 150-200 miles. My wife’s Kona still gets 230-240 and my mom’s model 3 SR still gets 220-230.
The Mach-E is bigger than both, weighting roughly 1000 pounds more than the Kona and M3. Bigger vehicles have bigger batteries and use more power. When severe cold impacts the battery pack, the effect is likely magnified vs a smaller/lighter car.

Doesn't help that the MME's GOM makes the loss look bigger than it really is either.
Sponsored

Sy546

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, '20 Evora GT, '19 Velar, 07 S2k
Occupation
Business
Country flag
The Mach-E is bigger than both, weighting roughly 1000 pounds more than the Kona and M3. Bigger vehicles have bigger batteries and use more power. When severe cold impacts the battery pack, the effect is likely magnified vs a smaller/lighter car.

Doesn't help that the MME's GOM makes the loss look bigger than it really is either.
I’m not going by the estimated miles, but by the actual miles I get in the cold. Also it’s not because it’s just a bigger car. Other EVs also lose less in the winter. The model Y also loses less as well, and I expect my iX that is incoming to lose even less. Losing 20-30%+ is pretty drastic.

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
The feature we lack (and I REALLY wish we had it because it would eliminate a lot of these fears) is an ad-hoc pre-condition button. Having to create what basically amounts to a recurring scheduled departure event that you only plan to use one time ... and then have to go back and delete it ... is a hassle.
While they're at it ... add in an ad-hoc state of charge to go along with the ad-hoc departure/pre-condition.
FORD - Take note. I agree this is a major flaw in the user functionality. There should be a big button on the first screen in FordPass app that says something like "precondition now" that then asks if you want to charge to your current setting or 100%, then it provides an estimate of the time to complete, then sends you an SMS "preconditioning complete - your Ford Mach-e is ready for departure" when ready. My life (and use of my car) is rarely "scheduled".

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
As much I love my Mach E, the winter range is pathetic. It’s really my one issue with the car (and sometimes the infotainment & ford app).

my car in this recent 10-20 degree weather gets only between 150-200 miles. My wife’s Kona still gets 230-240 and my mom’s model 3 SR still gets 220-230.
Please share your Kona numbers. I would love to know if it is better. If you can do a quick 30-50 mile follow the leader road trip and document starting battery/ ending battery and miles driven, In the cold that would be great. Heat and everything on the same settings. Just a few phone photos of the screens. It’s great data to share.

We have an Ioniq EV and it loses about 75% as much as the Mach E in very similar Winter conditions. Remember the Kona/Ioniq is FWD and smaller, less weight, so more efficient from the start, which means it will not lose as much. The Mach E is significantly larger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
So you’re saying i can take a trip to Maine and go get an Ioniq or MME tomorrow?
As of this week yes. The 2 Mach E’s Select RWDs are available for sure. I called the Hyundai dealer, quirk in Bangor, and they confirmed they sold all the Ioniq 5s. My buddy was very lucky. He let me drive it the next day. Pretty cool. I drove through the Hyundai lot Friday and the last slate blue Ioniq 5 was there with a sold tag hanging from the mirror.

Just check online inventory. The three I am most familiar with with no ADM are Quirk Hyundai, Quirk Ford, Darlings Ford and Arundel Ford.

6C21D990-583A-4AA8-8CCE-507C8EE09854.png

04FD4D91-2266-44F4-B0E0-D16D7B842D7F.jpeg

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
BEV's so far, are really warm weather vehicles. I simply would not have one if I lived in a sub zero climate unless I had another car for the winter. I'm hoping that technology will figure out the limitation some day soon though. maybe solid state batteries? who knows. . .

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
BEV's so far, are really warm weather vehicles. I simply would not have one if I lived in a sub zero climate unless I had another car for the winter. I'm hoping that technology will figure out the limitation some day soon though. maybe solid state batteries? who knows. . .
Ha! The Mach-e is a GREAT winter car when compared to my other "winter" GT... ? No seat heaters, no steering wheel heaters (not much heat anyway), defrosters? Lol. Ten gallon fuel tank gives it a useful range of about 180 miles before "range anxiety" kicks in. "Breakdown anxiety" never goes away (although I have driven it from MD to ME, MD to OH, MD to SC without a hiccup)... BEVs are just an adjustment to a new technology like going from carburetors, tune-ups and valve adjustments, to fuel injection and computer controlled everything.

Ford Mustang Mach-E A new low. Cold weather round trip, 1.55 mi/kWh, Range of 138 Miles, Premium ER AWD. 1967 GT

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Ha! The Mach-e is a GREAT winter car when compared to my other "winter" GT... ? No seat heaters, no steering wheel heaters (not much heat anyway), defrosters? Lol. Ten gallon fuel tank gives it a useful range of about 180 miles before "range anxiety" kicks in. "Breakdown anxiety" never goes away (although I have driven it from MD to ME, MD to OH, MD to SC without a hiccup)... BEVs are just an adjustment to a new technology like going from carburetors, tune-ups and valve adjustments, to fuel injection and computer controlled everything.

Ford Mustang Mach-E A new low. Cold weather round trip, 1.55 mi/kWh, Range of 138 Miles, Premium ER AWD. 1967 GT
Just do not drive it in the Salt!

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Those living in the rural areas with zero or very few dcfc chargers are going to wait before obtaining a bev.
I have 1 DCFC 21 miles from my house. The next closest is 68 miles. There are 6 traffic lights in town that shut off every night at 6 pm. Does that count as rural?

Even in the winter I can make a 80 mile trip to the closest major city on one charge. I may need to charge a bit to get back home but it will still be cheaper then dino fuel round trip.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is such an obvious SW fail. Here is another one… the car charges to 80%… if it’s at 80% and done there is no way to restart charging to a higher level once the target level is reached without un plugging it and restarting and quickly selecting charge to 100%.
I’ll trade the notes app for this…. ?
You don’t have to unplug. Just click “charge to 100%” and it will start charging again. I do it a lot. Never go in my garage to unplug first.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
I hit a new low last night with a 79 mile trip out to dinner. -2 to 3F, an average speed of 45 MPH, 3 people, dry salted roads. We started with 80% battery, not preconditioned, cold interior, returned home with 23% battery.

39.2 miles to and from. So, 0.57*88=50.2 kWh to drive 78.4 miles is 1.56 mi/kWh or an overall range of 138 miles, premium AWD ER. Overall range loss of 51% in these conditions. Heat on Auto 72, 2 seats and wheel. Cruise used.

Car reported 1.55 (1.2 to and 1.9 return) meaning reporting error was minimal. Also the travel time shown on the final screen screen is wrong. IDK what went wrong with Trips. We did not drive 70 MPH. For a strange reason the miles of the “trip” did not reset coming back and were spot on at 78.4 for the round trip. The time is about right and return Mi/kWh.

I think I could assume if I preheated we would have done 1.9 mi/kWh each way, a much better outcome, 167 miles range.

With an SR, that’s a range of 105 miles.

Even funnier, look at my EV driving data from FordPass, I just found it recorded. 2.1 on the way there (1.2 actual) and the return with double the miles, 2.4 (1.9 actual)., 100% incorrect and attached below. I will have to say this data is useless.

8280993A-205D-4CB0-95DC-8479A89CCD3D.jpeg

CAF9F6ED-D46C-457B-9322-324A4B1FD0D5.jpeg

3CEBFD0D-880B-4255-9896-5F90A7A48812.png

F93E3B41-6363-464C-82FE-BF0488002D3D.jpeg

04E896CC-FE8C-47F2-B6D4-81D6F668E4C2.png

BFE947CA-B911-42CB-A2F1-F42A26719BC2.png

18EFBA7D-2620-4CB8-86C7-5ACFFBF1F43B.png
I don't see how this is news. I'm averaging 1.3 to 1.8 on a daily basis. Yeah, I drive harder than the average person by far but cold weather and that you're not going to convince people in colder regions. You're going to have a really tough time. I keep repeating that and then I just get pooed on. And the fact that we have literally no charging backbone by us or infrastructure capable of it. And that so many people's houses aren't capable of adding that to their system or the cost of running the wire all the way across their entire house or around their house if their basement's finished. The battery tech and infrastructure have a long way to go but I sure do love my mach e . It's just worthless for long trips or middle range trips. I don't waste my time with it. I go with my gas hybrid or big stupid truck. That's the joy of fuel. The matter how I drove my tuned edge I knew I was getting 17.8 miles to a gallon a new where I could go with it when I would take highway. I was going to get 22 to 24. But when I beat its brains in I typically did daily. I was going to get about 18 miles to a gallon no matter what the weather was. That's the problem with beV there's so many factors versus a gas motor. And people simply don't want to deal with the problems or planning ahead that far. I mean look at us. We have delivery systems now that people are expecting deliveries within 15 minutes in cities or we're getting pissed if our 2-day Amazon doesn't get here in two days.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I don't see how this is news. I'm averaging 1.3 to 1.8 on a daily basis. Yeah, I drive harder than the average person by far but cold weather and that you're not going to convince people in colder regions. You're going to have a really tough time. I keep repeating that and then I just get pooed on. And the fact that we have literally no charging backbone by us or infrastructure capable of it. And that so many people's houses aren't capable of adding that to their system or the cost of running the wire all the way across their entire house or around their house if their basement's finished. The battery tech and infrastructure have a long way to go but I sure do love my mach e . It's just worthless for long trips or middle range trips. I don't waste my time with it. I go with my gas hybrid or big stupid truck. That's the joy of fuel. The matter how I drove my tuned edge I knew I was getting 17.8 miles to a gallon a new where I could go with it when I would take highway. I was going to get 22 to 24. But when I beat its brains in I typically did daily. I was going to get about 18 miles to a gallon no matter what the weather was. That's the problem with beV there's so many factors versus a gas motor. And people simply don't want to deal with the problems or planning ahead that far. I mean look at us. We have delivery systems now that people are expecting deliveries within 15 minutes in cities or we're getting pissed if our 2-day Amazon doesn't get here in two days.
Spot on. Just trying to keep buyers expectations at bay. So many folks say they “had no idea they would lose range in the winter”. Best to get it out there with facts and not sugar coat it. I agree 100% love my Mach E and I knew 100% what to expect for range loss. I am solely an EV family and have not been stranded or cold yet. If I could afford two, I would.

Last edited:

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
Spot on. Just trying to keep buyers expectations as bay. So many folks say they “had no idea they would lose range in the winter”. Best to get it out there with facts and not sugar coat it. I agree 100% love my Mach E and I knew 100% what to expect for range loss. I am solely an EV family and have not been stranded or cold yet. If I could afford two, I would.
We went to Chicago shedd aquarium 53 miles each direction this past weekend. Drove 3 miles into town then home so 56 miles back, charged up 13% and then drove home. Got home with 31% battery. Kept the climate at 68 and let Blue Cruise drive me all the way home at 78 mph. It was 19 with no wind chill luckily. If there is a 20 or 30 mile an hour wind chill and it was around 0 like it has been I would not trust it. As I've said many other times Indiana is very far behind and EV charging and so is east side of Chicago. I could never go all EV not big enough and no big trucks to pull boats or do snow plowing and lack of infrastructure. That is the key thing that needs to get worked on quick. We really do need kickers for people start building charging stations.

I forgot to mention I started at 100%

Last edited:

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
I’m not going by the estimated miles, but by the actual miles I get in the cold. Also it’s not because it’s just a bigger car. Other EVs also lose less in the winter. The model Y also loses less as well, and I expect my iX that is incoming to lose even less. Losing 20-30%+ is pretty drastic.
My buddy just drove to Vail from Chicago this weekend in his 2021 MOdel 3 LR. He saw a reduced range right around 30%. It wasn't even that cold for the trip. 25%+ reduced range seems to be pretty normal for EVs in the winter. I haven't read or heard otherwise.
Sponsored