A Tesla Owner Walks Into The Mach-E Forum...

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I'm glad you don't mince words about Elon. I think people make the assumption that owning a Tesla means I'm an Elon groupie. I admire the leadership he's brought to transforming the world to sustainable transportation, but he's just as flawed as other visionaries.

To answer your question, bigger screen to watch on plus I use the built-in $10 a month premium connectivity, I can watch as much video as I want for no extra cost.
GM has had it's share of douchebag CEOs. Yet I have bought no less than 4 GMs in my life.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I agree. My Model 3 and Y are way more responsive than my 2015 Leaf ever was, plus no issues going where I want when I want at a pace I expect. Compliance cars are just that, in compliance.

I'm hopeful Electrify America improves their charging stations so Mach-E owners can enjoy their cars the way I enjoy mine.
I am absolutely certain there would be no "Mustang Mach E" without Tesla. Those not familiar with the story of how the MME came to be, it was intended as another electric compliance car, but in crossover form. It would have been called the "yuck-e" or something, and definitely not been called a mustang. The project got very far along through the design when Ford pulled the plug and told the team to start over, this time making an "aspirational" car. Shortly afterward they decided that it had to be a mustang - and not just in name but with the fun performance worthy of the pony badge.

Without Tesla proving that you could make an aspirational electric car, Ford would be happy to sell 10 or 15 thousand "yuck-e"s a year - just enough to help their fleetwide CO2 footprint in europe.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, Henry Ford the first and many other CEO's are d-bags. For me it's not just that Musk is a d-bag: he is knowingly pushing his employees too hard to make deliveries of cars that he knows are not assembled correctly. He is also knowingly not protecting those employees from covid. That's moving from d-bag into the realm of criminal/fraudulant behavior.

It's one thing if Tesla is on the verge of bankruptcy and has to sacrifice quality and employees to stay afloat. That is not the case, and it is just a position I cannot support. The US auto industry deservedly had a bad reputation in the 70's and 80's, and has had to work really hard to come back from that. Musk is throwing all that hard work to restore american manufacturing's reputation on the scrapheap just so he can surpass Bezos on some meaningless list.

I used to really admire Musk and his mission to save humanity from itself. It just seems that the richer he gets, the more he is loses sight of that mission in favor of acquiring more wealth than any human being could possibly need.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Government incentives play a huge role, for sure.

It just seemed to me that before Tesla, the general public never took EVs seriously - they were looked at as just another hippie fad similar to how most people viewed the Prius when it was first introduced. The original Tesla (an electrified Lotus Elise) was also mostly a joke.

Once Tesla was able to scale to over 100,000 annually with an EV with decent range and a charging network, people looked and finally thought it was real.

I agree, it's very debatable, but an interesting debate, for sure. And highly subjective!
Drawing upon the Prius analogy, Toyota sold more than 10 million hybrids by early 2017, targeting 15 mil by 2020. It shows that new technology proliferates more models and a larger customer base over time. There are also millions of other hybrids from other car companies that are selling well without any incentive.
No need for some shining star for the technology to be adopted by the masses. We can only imagine the benefit to CO2 emission today if a small incentive was maintained.

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/global-sales-of-toyota-hybrids-reach-10-million/

And indeed, Toyota reached the targeted 15 million hybrid sales by January 2020:
https://thenextavenue.com/2020/04/27/toyota-passes-15-million-hybrid-electric-vehicles-global-sales/

Why did the European EV and PHEV sales suddenly explode last year? Volkswagen tripled its EV & PHEV sales last year. Don't think it is due to Tesla.

Last edited:

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
I am doing it probably for a lot of the same reasons as many others on here -- We were in the market for an EV, primarily, but weren't totally enthralled by the options available from Tesla. This is basically the next best alternative. And it'll have some things that Teslas don't, such as Android Auto. That's actually a huge plus for me.

It also helps that I'm a Mustang fan and have owned one for 11 years. :)
Totally! Android auto is huge for me too. Plus not being interested in Tesla and preferring an SUV body style!

OP
OP
littlD

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
I'm really glad to have encouraged everyone sharing their viewpoints. We seem to all have our own personal story on how we got to the point of purchasing an EV or at least deciding which one we prefer.

I won't argue for or against, but I am here with years of experience on how to use EVs on roadtrips.

Like this post if you'd like to know some techniques that apply no matter the make and model of EV.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I won't argue for or against, but I am here with years of experience on how to use EVs on roadtrips.

Like this post if you'd like to know some techniques that apply no matter the make and model of EV.
Thanks. I think those of us Mach-E buyers who don't already own / previously owned a Tesla are of course interested in hearing any and all advice! The biggest questions that remain to be seen are how the EA and other supported networks will fare at supporting the Mach-E when we're on roadtrips.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Yes, Henry Ford the first and many other CEO's are d-bags. For me it's not just that Musk is a d-bag: he is knowingly pushing his employees too hard to make deliveries of cars that he knows are not assembled correctly. He is also knowingly not protecting those employees from covid. That's moving from d-bag into the realm of criminal/fraudulant behavior.
YEah his covid denying BS really put me off:

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Why did the European EV and PHEV sales suddenly explode last year? Volkswagen tripled its EV & PHEV sales last year. Don't think it is due to Tesla.
So VW said it had clean diesels. When you travel in Germany, though, the beautiful cities all have buildings with diesel soot on them. Huh? Well... then VW got caught. You've seen the memes.

So, well, OK, maybe they can't make clean diesels, so they'll build electric vehicles instead. Yeah, that's it. Negotiate the US EPA diesel emission cheating fine into something useful... part of the penalty is to make them create and build out a BEV charger network in the US. Tip of the hat to EPA.

Yep, not Tesla...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the governments in Europe had a lot to do with that statistic.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
if you'd like to know some techniques that apply no matter the make and model of EV.
I'm not sure if your Tesla experience will apply, but my wife and I are hoping to drive my Mach-E down to Florida from NJ by way of Atlanta in late September. Without getting into too much detail we're driving down and catching a cruise ship (assuming carnival will be sailing by Oct 2nd), so I've added padding to the trip "just in case". I'm very concerned with EA's reliability, so much so that I plan to do things differently than "the norm". For one, I plan to charge when the battery is at 25% to 35%, just to make sure I don't get stranded in the event the chargers where I stop are DOA. We're also not planning to cannonball the whole way, stopping over 3 nights before we reach port canaveral. It those stops I was planning to bring along a tesla->j1772 adapter to increase my odds of being able to L2 charge at the hotels. I used "A better route planner" to map out the route and stops, tweaking the charging times/percent longer at meal times and less during the afternoon.

Any other suggestions you can make?

smart185

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer
Occupation
retraité
Country flag
For Ford clients in Québec, regarding the $ 8,000. credit, an the Tesla battle to eliminate that credit to the Mach E Premuium AWD, here is the official communiqué by Ford:

Concessionnaires Ford du Québec

Ford Canada souhaite vous informer d’une communication récente de TEQ (Transition énergétique Québec) sur l’admissibilité de la Mustang Mach-E dans le cadre du programme Roulez vert du gouvernement du Québec.

Le vendredi 8 janvier 2021, TEQ a informé Ford Canada qu’à la suite d’un examen plus approfondi, seuls les modèles Mustang Mach-E Sélect à propulsion arrière, Sélect à traction intégrale et Premium à autonomie standard et à propulsion arrière sont actuellement admissibles au rabais provincial de 8 000 $ pour véhicule électrique. Nous avons aussi été informés que le vendredi 8 janvier 2021, TEQ a envoyé un courriel à cet effet à tous les concessionnaires Ford du Québec, dans lequel on mentionnait que TEQ allait mettre à jour les règles du programme ainsi que son site Web Roulez vert pour rendre compte de cette information. TEQ semble avoir adopté la position selon laquelle les options telles que la traction intégrale et les batteries longue durée doivent être incluses dans le prix de détail suggéré par le constructeur (PDSC) pour déterminer l’admissibilité d’un véhicule au rabais pour véhicule électrique, en raison de la nature fondamentale de ces options et du coût important qui leur est associé.

Comme vous le savez, il s’agit d’un changement par rapport aux renseignements publiés précédemment sur le site Web du programme Roulez vert du gouvernement du Québec sur lequel, jusqu’à tout récemment, on indiquait que toutes les versions du modèle Premium étaient admissibles à l’incitatif conformément aux règles du programme du gouvernement du Québec (telles que publiées dans le cadre normatif), qui exigent un PDSC de base inférieure à 60 000 $ et qui excluent le coût des options.

La récente communication de TEQ a suscité beaucoup de confusion parmi les concessionnaires et les clients à l’échelle de la province. Ford Canada comprend le caractère urgent de cette question et communiquera avec TEQ pour discuter de sa récente décision d’exclure le modèle Mach-E Premium à traction intégrale ainsi que les modèles Premium à autonomie prolongée de l’incitatif de 8 000 $ pour véhicule électrique, et de l’incidence que cette décision aura sur les clients qui ont pris des ententes avec des concessionnaires pour ces modèles en tenant compte de l’incitatif qui était décrit sur le site Web du programme Roulez vert du gouvernement du Québec avant la mise à jour.

Afin d’assurer une transparence totale, Ford Canada recommande aux concessionnaires d’informer les clients concernés et leurs employés de la position de TEQ et de prendre toutes les mesures qu’ils jugent nécessaires pour s’assurer que leurs publicités reflètent bien cette nouvelle position. Nous tiendrons les concessionnaires informés pendant que nous continuons d’examiner cette question et que nous tentons de collaborer avec TEQ.

À titre indicatif, veuillez prendre connaissance de la déclaration suivante que Ford Canada prévoit faire pour répondre aux questions des médias :

« Ford est fermement engagée à l’égard de l’électrification et nous sommes fiers et emballés de lancer notre premier VUS entièrement électrique, la toute nouvelle Mustang Mach-E. Jusqu’à tout récemment, le site Web du programme Roulez vert du gouvernement du Québec indiquait que toutes les versions du modèle Premium étaient admissibles à l’incitatif de 8 000 $ conformément aux règles du programme du gouvernement (telles que publiées dans le cadre normatif), qui exigent un PDSC de base inférieure à 60 000 $, excluant le coût des options pour les véhicules.

Les récentes communications de TEQ et les changements apportés à son site Web du programme Roulez vert ont suscité beaucoup de confusion parmi les clients à l’échelle de la province. Les consommateurs demeurent une priorité absolue pour Ford, et nous allons communiquer avec TEQ pour discuter de sa récente décision d’exclure le modèle Mach-E Premium à traction intégrale ainsi que les modèles Premium à
autonomie prolongée de l’incitatif de 8 000 $ pour véhicule électrique, et de l’incidence que cette décision aura sur les clients. »

Merci,

My breif translation: Ford will tried to do everythings to have their customer get the government credit or probably make a rebate on the price of the Premuim AWD & extended battery.
The Québec government, thru the Ministry of Energy & Naturals Ressources, made it clear, yesterday only, after having their own web site stating that all Select & Premium models were eligible to the credit, that a Mach E Premium (either with extended battery & / or with the AWD) were not eligible for the credit because they considered those 2 options as a completed different model.....????
This is , accordingly to the article on the Journal de Montréal, a threat from Tesla: not confirm yet.
Sorry folks for my poor english; I apologied.

Jim Hartford

Vice-président, Marketing et ventes

Ford Canada

OP
OP
littlD

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Welcome! I am happy for you that you like your Teslas and feel proud of them.

But I just can't see myself sparing even a dollar for Tesla.
It's moinly the CEO. He has defrauded so many people with his false promises of full self driving, taking thousands of dollars from them in the false hope of delivering it "soon". This has gone on for 5 years with no one bringing him in for his crimes. It is not just a money matter either. People have been killed and I haven't heard a single apology from Elon Musk on twitter. He tweets so many childish meaningless stuff but nothing that shows respect to his victims.

Not to mention, how Tesla deprives customers of basic warranty repairs and underpays its employees while Elon Musk enriches himself with billions in bonuses. So please forgive me if I don't share a shred of your enthusiasm for Tesla. I will rather bike and take the public transit before I am forced to get a Tesla. LOL.

But I have a genuine question for you. What's the advantage of watching youtube TV on your dash vs. on an Ipad that I can take anywhere? I mean, I could be sitting in a cafe watching youtube TV (if I did) while the car charges. So do you see this as an advantage? I ask because I see many Tesla owners feeling proud of such things like playing games on the dash as if it is a much-coveted item.
To answer your question, bigger screen to watch on plus I use the built-in $10 a month premium connectivity, I can watch as much video as I want for no extra cost.

OP
OP
littlD

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
GM has had it's share of douchebag CEOs. Yet I have bought no less than 4 GMs in my life.
Yep, including the fact that GM had the best PHEV technology bar none and chose to chuck it instead of using the technology to make it into a crossover. I'm still scratching my head over that decision.

OP
OP
littlD

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not sure if your Tesla experience will apply, but my wife and I are hoping to drive my Mach-E down to Florida from NJ by way of Atlanta in late September. Without getting into too much detail we're driving down and catching a cruise ship (assuming carnival will be sailing by Oct 2nd), so I've added padding to the trip "just in case". I'm very concerned with EA's reliability, so much so that I plan to do things differently than "the norm". For one, I plan to charge when the battery is at 25% to 35%, just to make sure I don't get stranded in the event the chargers where I stop are DOA. We're also not planning to cannonball the whole way, stopping over 3 nights before we reach port canaveral. It those stops I was planning to bring along a tesla->j1772 adapter to increase my odds of being able to L2 charge at the hotels. I used "A better route planner" to map out the route and stops, tweaking the charging times/percent longer at meal times and less during the afternoon.

Any other suggestions you can make?
Plenty!

I understand you wanting to charge at 25-35%, yet 20% should give you enough to find other chargers.

9 Simple guidelines = Better Roadtrips for any EV:
1. Charge to 100% before leaving
2. During winter, pre-warm the vehicle while plugged in before setting off.
3. 20% Rule - Whenever charging, stop charging and leave for the next one when either the car's nav or ABetterRoutePlanner projects 20% charge remaining at the next charger. If you want more cushion the first time, no worries, yet it's likely you don't need more than that.
4. Find a steady speed and stick with it! 70 MPH is a good one unless you know you have plenty of cushion.
5. Take advantage of TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) if your vehicle is so equipped.
6. CHECK TIRE PRESSURES before leaving. Stay at the recommended pressures for your vehicle. While some hypermilers will say to pump to the maximum for the tire, this reduces traction and is NOT safe!
7. Don't forget your charging cables! It's easy to do if you end up using them for your home charging solution!
8. Avoid extension cords! More fires are started with these, especially if not a large enough gauge or bunched together.
9. Plan around hotels that provide J1772 charging stations or provide Tesla destination chargers. This way, you can start off with 100% at the beginning of each day. For non-Tesla EVs, you'll need an adapter of course. If you can find those that have CCS, all the best for non-Tesla owners (except for Leaf)! For non-Tesla owners, use PlugShare.com or ABetterRoutePlanner.com and filter on Amenities - Lodging. For Tesla Owners, use https://www.tesla.com/supercharger and scroll down to the searchable map.

I have more strategies for when you can't find fast DC charging but figure this will get you and others started.

Maybe I'll start a separate thread and share more. I also offer episodes 34-36 of my podcast. Of course, those are focused on Tesla only, but there's still things you can learn that work with any EV.
Sponsored