Acceleration in L

Coffs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Explorer, Busa
Country flag
Only noticed this today, when accelerating in L it feels subdued like it's still braking.

Accelerating, foot steady about 1/4 down, got to 50ish (still accelerating, flat road), pressed L to come out of Low and car instantly got quicker (no difference to foot position).

Tried it again to check, in L, flat road, steady acceleration, pressed L, quicker acceleration.

Doesn't seem right, I thought L just added extra regen off throttle demand. (Lifting foot or 0 pedal).
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It increases regen when you lift off the accelerator pedal.....

So why does it reduce acceleration when accelerating?
Because more regen means that at partial throttle your car won’t accelerate as much. It’s not just when you completely take your foot off the gas.

L mode is very similar to 1PD in terms of regen, but it won’t come to a complete stop without hitting the brakes.

These are things that affect throttle mapping (basically how much the car responds based on how far you push the pedal) like drive modes.

But that’s not the same as changing acceleration. The car accelerates the same in all modes (you just may have to push the throttle down more to get the same result).

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Only noticed this today, when accelerating in L it feels subdued like it's still braking.

Accelerating, foot steady about 1/4 down, got to 50ish (still accelerating, flat road), pressed L to come out of Low and car instantly got quicker (no difference to foot position).

Tried it again to check, in L, flat road, steady acceleration, pressed L, quicker acceleration.

Doesn't seem right, I thought L just added extra regen off throttle demand. (Lifting foot or 0 pedal).
Think low gear in an ICE. Lesser acceleration more drag when coasting. Manual says to use on hills or towing. LOW (L) In low (L) your vehicle decelerates more noticeably than in drive (D) when you release the accelerator pedal. Note:We recommend using this mode for driving on hilly or mountainous roads or when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer

Ev Blau

First Name
Ev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Think low gear in an ICE. Lesser acceleration more drag when coasting. Manual says to use on hills or towing. LOW (L) In low (L) your vehicle decelerates more noticeably than in drive (D) when you release the accelerator pedal. Note:We recommend using this mode for driving on hilly or mountainous roads or when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer
Do, essentially, you’re saying that using L in the MME is utilized similarly to Low gear in an ICE. Correct?

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Do, essentially, you’re saying that using L in the MME is utilized similarly to Low gear in an ICE. Correct?
That appears to be what the manual is saying. I’ve never used L in the MME or in the 6 years I had a Fusion Energi. The question made me curious to find a right answer. The drag/regen would therefore appear to be different than that of Unbridled or 1PD. If you want greater acceleration plus regen I would use unbridled which often feels like downshifting with a stick, great for turns.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
When in L mode, the car has to remap the throttle pedal to account for part of its travel is required to activate regen, which means you have to push down more to get the power you need. Maximum power is always available when fully depressing the pedal.
Sponsored