mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
Actually, I do agree with you, especially this part. I was just wondering the motivation behind your OTA points. For me personally I plan to have the dealer use their FDRS to update my car when the 80% charging curve is available, or I might do it myself. I am not planning to rely on OTA, and understand many improvements may be too complex for OTA anyway.

And @Mach1E, I get OTA updates also! My release schedule is daily... ?
I have my wife's MME scheduled for the recalls, the 21P22 update, and the 10k service at the end of January. Wish me luck!
Sponsored

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Does anyone think Ford will change the 5 second acceleration limit on the Mach E GT?
No.

And really, people need to stop calling it the 5 second limit. I don't even think you get 1 second if you're already doing 65 mph. Call it the 200 horsepower limit.

And I'm not sure you get an honest 5 seconds even from a stop.

e-pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Extended Star White
Country flag
I’ve had no issues at all with freeway passing power in my GT (not PE). The first time I tried, the car got up to 110 before I even realized I was going that fast, and it was in whisper mode. It was breathtaking. I kept a better eye on the speedometer from then on (I didn’t want a ticket the first day of owning my new car lol) so kept it below 100, but so far, every time I ask the car for more speed, it delivers.
Breathtaking. Good word. Same with 4x. 95-100 b/f u know it. White knuckle. Not sure why anyone would need/want a gt other than the look (hot!) and magneride.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
The distinction you're making isn't of any real import. If Ford doesn't feel confident enough in its OTA process to use it, one might as well say they can't OTA the cars.

And this is important because it affects Ford's ability to improve the cars. Tesla owners and Polestar owners get regular OTAs, which the OEMs are able to push out at more or less arbitrary intervals. If we have to schedule a service appt to get every firmware update Ford wants to push, how often will we get them? Even it Ford could in theory release a firmware update say every month--which is from what I've heard is how often Polestar has been updating its firmware--who wants to make monthly service appointments to get their cars' firmware updated? I certainly don't have time for that.

Never mind the fact that if Ford's only way of getting firmware updates to cars is via the dealer network then Ford will have to pay the dealers for their time and trouble on every update, which will get really expensive really fast, meaning Ford will save their improvements in the software up and only push them at infrequent intervals rather than doing small updates at more frequent intervals. This would make Ford's tempo of improving the cars much slower than it could be if they could push OTAs.
I think you are on to something here. When Ford sells a ton of F150 Lightnings and every single one has to go to a dealer to get a software update, it will get very, very expensive and also become such a burden that the dealers will be squealing like mad. Add in the lack of experience and I can guarantee that many of these will be bricked by incompetent techs. Ford needs to get the OTA stuff working soon or they will have engineered themselves into a corner. This could be make or break for Farley and others. Get it right. Please.

g8mb1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Why didn’t the engineers design the system to handle a much longer power draw. Massive fail on their part. Better cooling or better wiring system to handle the power or both. Then put that on the performance edition.
I think they saw the problem in testing after they made the car and popped a bandaid on it with the 5 second rule. IMHO they should have released the gt as is with the Magna Ride then upgraded the internals so it could go all day without throttling and made that the performance
I've heard(outofspec) that it uses a time decay model, but hoping they can swop it out to work more like tesla's using the temp sensors on all the components and it only limits when on of the components reaches its threshold. I sure hope ford has added enough sensors and are just working on how to implement a more advanced algorithm from multiple sensors...