Adaptive Cruise Control - How Much Do You Trust it?

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A couple of times now, in bright sunshine, approaching a stoplight with cruise set, it did not seem to slow, I had to forcefully apply the brakes to bring it to a quick stop. The third time it happened, I watched carefully, and realized that all 3 times, the car I was approaching was white. Every time I approached a non-white vehicle, the Mach E slowed down, then more strongly, and in plenty of time to come to a stop. Maybe my Mach E is a bit contrast challenged? Be careful everyone!!
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
A couple of times now, in bright sunshine, approaching a stoplight with cruise set, it did not seem to slow, I had to forcefully apply the brakes to bring it to a quick stop. The third time it happened, I watched carefully, and realized that all 3 times, the car I was approaching was white. Every time I approached a non-white vehicle, the Mach E slowed down, then more strongly, and in plenty of time to come to a stop. Maybe my Mach E is a bit contrast challenged? Be careful everyone!!
AFAIK it uses sonar, not the optical camera for detecting a car in front of you. very odd, and not good

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
AFAIK it uses sonar, not the optical camera for detecting a car in front of you. very odd, and not good
If true, or acoustic sensors, then you are right that visual contrast does not come into play. Even a little more scary... "somtimes it doesn't work" might be tolerable for PaaK, but not for anti-collsion/adaptive cruise control!

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
It's worked well for me. Got a bit nervous so at the distance back a notch and know I'm happier. Just need to take control at difficult intersections. But still a bit nervous. The accident alert has been useful.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
It's worked well for me. Got a bit nervous so at the distance back a notch and know I'm happier. Just need to take control at difficult intersections. But still a bit nervous. The accident alert has been useful.
I really don't think it's meant to be used in city driving but in highways.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
I really don't think it's meant to be used in city driving but in highways.
Been doing some local roads to test it out.
It works well. Highway is good too.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Agreed. This suggestion will help.

I use ACC all the time now. Probably 70% of my driving is with that enabled. Love it!
Actually you need lane centering turned on in cruise control not lane keeping if you want to stay centered (more or less). And, I agree that ACC is great on the Mach-E!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The road I started to curve but it wasn't able to stay within the lane I was in. It was drifting to the other lane....road turning but car going straight. Luckily there was no one next to me.
There is no hands free driving in this car at the present time. As has been pointed out adaptive and intelligent cruise controls are speed snd gap control. Kane keeping assists you in staying in your lane. None of them really do the turning for you.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There is no hands free driving in this car at the present time. As has been pointed out adaptive and intelligent cruise controls are speed snd gap control. Kane keeping assists you in staying in your lane. None of them really do the turning for you.
Lane keeping does handle less pronounced curves, but sharp curves aren't it's forte'.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
True. They’re also not intended to be hands free or input free driving.
Oh, definitely not. I also don't rely on it to stop me at red lights either. For keeping distance on the highway, yes - unless there's a sudden traffic jam in which case I take over and slow down before the car does.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oh, definitely not. I also don't rely on it to stop me at red lights either. For keeping distance on the highway, yes - unless there's a sudden traffic jam in which case I take over and slow down before the car does.
I do the same. As far as I am concerned.....Ford has given the name of Co-Pilot to these features so the Pilot is still expected to operate the vehicle. I like the help, but I remain in charge and don't rely on the car to avoid a collision that I can clearly see ahead of time.

As to the original posted question. The MME system is pretty good. I have a loaner Edge while by Mach-E is in the shop (broken windshield). The Edge is a year or two old with ACC and LKA and it isn't as good as the system on then MME. Ford must have made some good improvements...

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Lane centering actually does turn the car. I’ve had multiple 30 mile+ trips already where the car navigated (except lane changes) and controlled speed fully. You’re right it’s not fully supported yet but i have been able to keep enough pressure with one hand on the wheel to keep the assistant at bay. Definitely feel the car tracking and turning. It even successfully navigated a highway change on one of the more difficult and accident prone area interchanges on its own. I prefer when i do the driving, but in the interest of getting accustomed and sending feedback to the Ford team while they await release and improve, I give it a go every now and then. There are some very clear things that still need to be addressed, e.g. driving in the right lane on an interstate when there’s a very long entrance or exit lane. The car gracefully warns and disconnects in that scenario but picks up again when normal lane lines are detected seamlessly.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Ford has given the name of Co-Pilot to these features so the Pilot is still expected to operate the vehicle. I like the help, but I remain in charge and don't rely on the car to avoid a collision that I can clearly see ahead of time.
Eloquently put. ?????

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Lane centering actually does turn the car. I’ve had multiple 30 mile+ trips already where the car navigated (except lane changes) and controlled speed fully. You’re right it’s not fully supported yet but i have been able to keep enough pressure with one hand on the wheel to keep the assistant at bay. Definitely feel the car tracking and turning. It even successfully navigated a highway change on one of the more difficult and accident prone area interchanges on its own. I prefer when i do the driving, but in the interest of getting accustomed and sending feedback to the Ford team while they await release and improve, I give it a go every now and then. There are some very clear things that still need to be addressed, e.g. driving in the right lane on an interstate when there’s a very long entrance or exit lane. The car gracefully warns and disconnects in that scenario but picks up again when normal lane lines are detected seamlessly.
You're misunderstanding. Lane centering is not intended to steer the car, it's intended to assist you in staying within a lane. The fact that some people are using it to steer their MME's does not alter its intended use. This is not a matter of semantics. People are expressing surprise that they have to seize the steering wheel to prevent the car from going off the road. Lane centering is not hands-free, it's not FSD, and it's not the upcoming Active drive assisst.
Sponsored