Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Stop and Go is definitely butt puckering before you get used to it, my buns do still tighten up on the interstate, but it still works really well for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Anton

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
MedTech Software Engineer.
Country flag
Here you go.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adaptive Cruise Control Feedback Page 219
Thanks. Sounds like Ford is making up stories. I tried this and couldn't get it to stay within a certain part of a lane... Maybe the lane is too skinny or something..

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Thanks. Sounds like Ford is making up stories. I tried this and couldn't get it to stay within a certain part of a lane... Maybe the lane is too skinny or something..
I think it actually does this, or at least trys to. But a lot of factors introduce noise into the feedback loop. Imperfections in the road are one example. I have streets near me where cracks have been patched with tar-like strips. The car will detect these as lane markings….sometimes. The car also seems to struggle with exact lane positioning when heading into direct, bright sunlight. I also have one stretch of road that seems perfectly marked but lane keeping won’t even engage. It’s imperfect technology, for sure.

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
So this is my first car with such advanced cruise control and also my first car with 1 pedal. I'm enjoying 1 pedal on this car but I'm curious if anyone has tips for going from ACC to turning it off while in 1 pedal without some kind of big lurch?

My specific example is I'm in the right lane (probably should just avoid doing that) with ACC on and a car is aggressively merging on and I'm worried the ACC won't see it so I want to disengage and slow down a bit without slamming on the brakes. Do you just use the brake pedal at that point? Normally in 1 pedal I'd feather it a bit so it's not anymore sudden than it needs to be. But if I just disengage ACC altogether, regen is going to kick in hard unless I find a good spot on the accelerator pedal which is a bit difficult.

Do you just ride the brake? I'll definitely eventually get used to it, but I find the brake pedal on this thing pretty dang sensitive. So while it seems like a normal reaction to ride the brake, I'm wondering if there's other options as well?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
So this is my first car with such advanced cruise control and also my first car with 1 pedal. I'm enjoying 1 pedal on this car but I'm curious if anyone has tips for going from ACC to turning it off while in 1 pedal without some kind of big lurch?

My specific example is I'm in the right lane (probably should just avoid doing that) with ACC on and a car is aggressively merging on and I'm worried the ACC won't see it so I want to disengage and slow down a bit without slamming on the brakes. Do you just use the brake pedal at that point? Normally in 1 pedal I'd feather it a bit so it's not anymore sudden than it needs to be. But if I just disengage ACC altogether, regen is going to kick in hard unless I find a good spot on the accelerator pedal which is a bit difficult.

Do you just ride the brake? I'll definitely eventually get used to it, but I find the brake pedal on this thing pretty dang sensitive. So while it seems like a normal reaction to ride the brake, I'm wondering if there's other options as well?
Just press the middle button on the left. It will turn off the cruise and you'll start to slow down. It's the scratched button in this picture.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adaptive Cruise Control Feedback PXL_20220113_221147447~2

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
My recommendation is to turn off one pedal mode when you are using ACC.

My commute is mainly highway so I use ACC and lane centering a lot in my Leaf since 2019. I hardly use one pedal mode. I only use it as an auto brake hold when I'm the first car or when I use drive thru lines.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Hold the position and count to 12, works for me every time.

As far as the braking goes.. Ya.. the car sucks balls at detecting and braking correctly IMO.. I've tired all the distance settings 4-1 and I don't find it does a dang thing. I can be driving behind a car with it set to 2, set it to 4 still in the exact same position as 2. Set it to 1, still in the same position as 4... Someone tries to slide in between, because I have like 3 car lengths, the car will abruptly brake 99% of the time, the people behind me LOVE IT!!! Other times the car is just like "oh a car" and slows a tad like a normal saine person would do and just lets the gap widen then starts to accelerate again.

I 100% do not trust the system on stopped cars when I'm at speed. Anything above 40mph or so I'll take over control. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the manual says the car may not detect fully stopped objects. If I see traffic slowing/stopping, I disengage the system, slow down to match and then I'll turn the system back on. The car waits waaaaaaay too long to start braking for my liking.

Nothing will spice up the morning than going 75mph into dead stopped traffic to have your car notice it 50yrds away, try to stop to only have the collision warning go off.. I will admit though, there was one time where I had looked down at something and the traffic in front of me had fully stopped. Car braked pretty hard, collision warning came up, I applied more brake and I stopped about a car length away. Had the system not kicked in, I prob would had hit the guy, so it does work, just waits too long to give the driver confidence its going to stop.

At least this is the experience in my car, I'm sure everyone's could operate differently.
If you are following a car and change the following distance but your car doesn't speed up to close the gap or slow down to widen the gap, it is not working properly. I have had Ford's adaptive cruise system in 3 different vehicles now and every one of them would adjust speed to adjust the gap within a second or 2 of me changing the setting. It is a very gentle change. It generally only coasts to widen the gap and maybe goes 1-2 mph up to close the gap.

As for approaching stopped vehicles, I 100% agree with you. I never let the system handle approaching completely stopped cars. In fact I'll often take over when approaching cars that are still moving if the speed difference is anything more than 25-30 mph.

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
Just press the middle button on the left. It will turn off the cruise and you'll start to slow down. It's the scratched button in this picture.
PXL_20220113_221147447~2.jpg
Yea but then regen kicks in pretty hard, no? I mean yes that's better than slamming on the brakes unnecessarily, but still seems a bit aggressive.
My recommendation is to turn off one pedal mode when you are using ACC.

My commute is mainly highway so I use ACC and lane centering a lot in my Leaf since 2019. I hardly use one pedal mode. I only use it as an auto brake hold when I'm the first car or when I use drive thru lines.
Yea I might start doing this and just use ACC for longer road trips when I'm on 1 highway for miiiiiles. Versus my daily commute where I'm on 3 different highways and none of them for particularly long. Because I really do otherwise enjoy 1 pedal driving.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
Yea but then regen kicks in pretty hard, no? I mean yes that's better than slamming on the brakes unnecessarily, but still seems a bit aggressive.

Yea I might start doing this and just use ACC for longer road trips when I'm on 1 highway for miiiiiles. Versus my daily commute where I'm on 3 different highways and none of them for particularly long. Because I really do otherwise enjoy 1 pedal driving.
You can use ACC for short trips too. On my Leaf I can enable it at any speed above 20 mph. I prefer to use ACC to follow a car rather than use one pedal.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
True but I usually only do it for about a second or two which does give enough room.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I've had the same experience mine never stays where I put it, it always gravitates to the middle when I release pressure

OP
OP
Anton

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
MedTech Software Engineer.
Country flag
I've had the same experience mine never stays where I put it, it always gravitates to the middle when I release pressure
I wish the center of my car was more in the actual middle. Feels like my butt is always on the middle of the lane, which puts the car middle off by 1.5 feet.

The lane centering needs to do the following, simple programming:
If single lane with oncoming traffic, hug right
Else if lane exists to the right and no oncoming traffic, hug left
Else stay middle

This doesn't need machine learning on the decision making. Maybe just on the current driving environment (e.g. single lane, etc.)

Feels like these engineers just did "stay in middle", which isn't even the middle. At this point, I find this lane centering unusable whenever there is any amount of traffic. I clinch up due to the proximity whenever I pass a car or when you're the only lane with an oncoming lane.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

If you press the pedal to where the car just begins to increase speed above the CC setting, then press cancel, it will be a smooth cancel. After doing this a few times, you‘ll get the feel for it and will be able to hit the sweet spot without increasing speed.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
a few things...

The lane centering and lane position thing absolutely works and if you slightly hold the wheel to push it in the lane you can feel the steering adjust to this new position. it feels like there are only like 8 positions the car can be in and when you get to one you will feel it click in.

ACC does fantastic as long as it knows there is a car ahead. The issue with it braking late seems to me entirely limited by its ability to recognize the car ahead. If you are following close to the car it will slow down smoothly, still a bit slower than I prefer but it does it fine. BUT, and a big BUT. ACC is affected by not only the follow distance you set but which drive mode you are in. I think they only tuned it for engage mode, as both whisper and unbridled perform terribly. whisper always brakes late and often causes the crash alert to chime. unbridled brakes too hard and undershoot its target causing it to brake, let go, brake, let go.

one pedal mode does nothing in cruise control. you can actually see the car disable 1pd when you turn on cruise control. I like to drive with 1pd on because if a car is too far ahead for the car to tell its stopped i can just pause cruise control, let 1pd start slowing me down and then re-engage the cruise control and most of the time it immediately realizes the car is stopped and do its thing.
Sponsored