Highway speed to dead stop traffic with Adaptive Cruise enabled --- do you trust it?

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
Anyone else almost get into a collision every time they approach stopped traffic from highway speeds with Adaptive Cruise enabled? I dont really trust the car to stop in this scenario as it has been very close to a collision on multiple occasions. The times I have let it go from say 60 MPH with BlueCruise Hands-Free on, it will start blazing warning beeps at the last second, pops up with "Adaptive Cruise Disabled" in a red warning box and finally slams on the brakes abruptly just before impact. From my understanding this behavior has improved with BC 1.2 (I have 1.0), but this seems very unsafe. Anyone else have this issue? For reference, I usually have the maximum following distance set in Adaptive Cruise as well.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Anyone else almost get into a collision every time they approach stopped traffic from highway speeds with Adaptive Cruise enabled? I dont really trust the car to stop in this scenario as it has been very close to a collision on multiple occasions. The times I have let it go from say 60 MPH with BlueCruise Hands-Free on, it will start blazing warning beeps at the last second, pops up with "Adaptive Cruise Disabled" in a red warning box and finally slams on the brakes abruptly just before impact. From my understanding this behavior has improved with BC 1.2 (I have 1.0), but this seems very unsafe. Anyone else have this issue? For reference, I usually have the maximum following distance set in Adaptive Cruise as well.
That's because it's not designed to go from highways speeds to a dead stop without following a vehicle down to that speed. If the traffic ahead of you is at a dead stop (you're not actively following a vehicle) then it's up to you to make it stop at a comfortable pace.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Nor is any other driving technology.

Posted multiple times before.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
From my understanding Tesla vehicles used to have this issue, but it has been addressed in a recent update. Ford needs to do the same.
BlueCruise relies entirely on ultrasonic/radar sensors to do adaptive cruise. It's a notoriously noisy sensor source, so it has aggressive filtering to avoid false positives. It filters out stationary objects (think the road, crash barriers, etc), which means it's quite difficult to figure out if the traffic ahead of you is part of the road, or if it's actually stopped traffic. I believe when the car comes much closer to the stopped object, another set of short-range sensors take over, which is when the car freaks out.

Tesla uses actual computer vision/cameras to aid in object detection, which of course fixes this one problem with adaptive cruise.

tbrumleve

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium eAWD Standard Range
Country flag
From my understanding Tesla vehicles used to have this issue, but it has been addressed in a recent update. Ford needs to do the same.
Tesla’s FSD has killed 17 people and caused 736 crashes since 2019. They are not a beacon of safety. I’ll take BC 1.2+ any day.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
please don't do this.

If you are following a car within radar distance that slows down gradually you are fine.

If you come up on stopped traffic ahead with no cars moving in front of you, you will eventually hit somebody if you take no action. You are betting that there is some motion in the stopped cars ahead or you are in trouble. The same way the car does not phantom brake for parked cars, bridges, or road signs even on curves, it has to filter out completely stopped objects.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
I avoid the issue and keep in control of the car. While Blue Cruise is liked by many I preffer the good old cruise control, keep your eye on the road and watch your mirrors.
Intelligent cruise is nice but gets annoying when you realize you have been travelling for twenty miles behind some slowpoke and your set speed is 20mph faster!

Tony

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
That's because it's not designed to go from highways speeds to a dead stop without following a vehicle down to that speed. If the traffic ahead of you is at a dead stop (you're not actively following a vehicle) then it's up to you to make it stop at a comfortable pace.
This makes sense based off of what I know about the car’s systems not really being cognizant of non-moving obstacles but is not how I would like it to work. I have not been in the situation where I was not following someone while the ACC was engaged, so my car has always slowed based off of the traffic I was following. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Note that my car does not have BlueCruise. 😊🐩

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Are you saying you came close to crashing into another car because you relied on adaptive cruise to stop you?

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Blue Cruise's adaptive cruise control is far too reactive. It's designed to maintain its set speed unless the distance between you and the car in front of you is less than the set gap. It does not appear do any checks beyond that distance and does not appear to calculate relative acceleration/speed at all. It will accelerate and brake suddenly based on if the car in front of you is beyond/within the set gap.

You're likely seeing collision avoidance kick in rather than adaptive cruise slowing you down. If you see stopped traffic ahead, I'd take control. The car may very well stop in time, but you won't enjoy the suddenness of it.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Do I trust it? No. Do I use it with great care? Yes.
It is a great driving aid. I am always attentive and am ready to take control at any time (and often do).
I am the driver and am ultimately responsible for anything the car does.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
BC or any sort of adaptive cruise should be regularly monitored, and just like anything any other system in a car, it has a learning curve.

I do not use it to brake when there is stopped traffic in front of me, I take The wheel and brake. Once I come to a stop, I re-engage BC and have it set to a slow speed, bumping the speed up when there is movement, accordingly.
Sponsored