Air conditioning is always turning itself back on when starting, even in manual HVAC mode

Bonehead

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
Call me crazy, but when it's cold out I don't like to have the AC on.

When starting the car up, most settings are retained from your last drive. But if you have the AC off when you turn the car off, for some reason it seems impossible to not have the damn AC turn itself on every time I start. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a physical button to turn it off or at least if you could turn it off with a voice command (you can't), but it's a nuisance to do it via 3 button presses on the screen every time I start up in the winter (I know, I know, first world problems).

And it's not an issue of it turning on because it's humid, which it isn't.

My first thought was that this would only occur when one of the 3 Auto settings was on, and for a while it seemed that using manual instead with a low fan speed and E-Heat on fixed the problem.

No more for some reason - even in manual, the AC is now always on when I start. Anyone else have the same issue?
Sponsored

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
Yes, it happens in my car too. I reported it to the dealer, but they were unable to reproduce the issue. The e-heat comes on, too even though I had previously switched it off.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You’re just going to have to let it go. The A/C button may be on, but the A/C compressor isn’t actually running unless the car is trying to cool. It not doing anything to the car.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’re just going to have to let it go. The A/C button may be on, but the A/C compressor isn’t actually running unless the car is trying to cool. It not doing anything to the car.
Yes, the compressor runs. I can feel the cold air and hear the compressor running.

OP
OP

Bonehead

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
It's not just the button - I feel the cold air blowing, and it's freezing out.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes, it happens. Just today, it was 64 outside, I had the temp set to 68 and the fan on auto. Next thing I know, it’s freezing cold in the car. Checked the HVAC controls and AC is on. The AC, E-Heat, and recirc settings all have a mind of their own.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
It's to control humidity inside the car. If it's cold outside the windows will fog. My mom's old VW Beetle always had a roll of paper towels on the front seat.

My Mazda CX5 did the same thing.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's to control humidity inside the car. If it's cold outside the windows will fog. My mom's old VW Beetle always had a roll of paper towels on the front seat.

My Mazda CX5 did the same thing.
As the originator of this post stated "And it's not an issue of it turning on because it's humid, which it isn't."

I live in an area where the weather is mild and I don't use the A/C or heat much. I had a 2013 Fusion and it initially had the same issue with the A/C turning on when it wasn't needed. Eventually, Ford came up with a software patch that fixed the problem.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
As the originator of this post stated "And it's not an issue of it turning on because it's humid, which it isn't."

I live in an area where the weather is mild and I don't use the A/C or heat much. I had a 2013 Fusion and it initially had the same issue with the A/C turning on when it wasn't needed. Eventually, Ford came up with a software patch that fixed the problem.
Does the car even have a humidity sensor? I think the car just makes assumptions.

I have the opposite problem in Florida. Car won’t leave recirculate on to prevent fogging/humidity.

The problem is that the outside air is waaaaaay more humid than inside when the a/c is on.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does the car even have a humidity sensor? I think the car just makes assumptions.

I have the opposite problem in Florida. Car won’t leave recirculate on to prevent fogging/humidity.

The problem is that the outside air is waaaaaay more humid than inside when the a/c is on.
Yes, the Mach E has a humidity sensor to the left of the rearview mirror.

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350, Bronco, Bronco Sport
Occupation
Lake Geneva Ziplines and Adventures Managing Director
Country flag

Recirc is 99% the reason for fogged windows, even when it's humid outside. Outside air with compressor is the best option to no fog. Recirc on with people inside and breathing raises humidity quickly.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I've quit trying to second-guess the climate controls on the MME and my sanity has improved.
I gave up in 1994 with my 3rd Chrysler minivan.

How I WISHED I had A/C in my '66 E-Type on one certain day last year. I hit an area of fog on the way home from a car show and even with the windows open (top up) the inside of the windshield went white with condensation.

That will happen in any car where the glass is cool and there's humidity in the air. A/C dries the air acting like a de-humidifier.... even if the heater is on too.
Sponsored