All things NJ Deliveries

Quack2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi
Country flag
That language concerns me as well. I mentioned it in another post but easier to just re-state here. Quack2000 - I'd appreciate your take on it...

My concern is that the language states (bold italics mine):
Costs not generally included in the MSRP are: destination or delivery charges, sales and use taxes, additional maintenance or repair packages purchased from the dealership or showroom, documentation fees, registration fees, or add-ons which relate to the maintenance or operation of the vehicle, such as electric vehicle charging packages, floor mats, first aid kits, cargo nets, etc.

What worries me is that Ford does include the destination and delivery in the MSRP. Here's what I configured and ordered:
1612104957034.png

Notice that the base MSRP is 47,000 and options are 7,700. That totals 54,700, which is under the 55k cap. BUT, the Total MSRP includes the D&D. So how will NJ interpret that? Will NJ back out the 1,100 D&D or will they use Ford's MSRP and deny the rebate?
Sorice, it’s tough to say. I think the intent is there to exclude things like destination and delivery. As in they are giving that as an example how what can be excluded, but it could also be read that it la up to the manufacturer to determine what is included in the MSRP. Has anyone ever bought a car where destination , delivery a taxes weren’t included in the MSRP on the sticker. I can’t think of any. That would weigh in favor of all of us. Realistically, until someone receives a $5k check from the state for a MachE with an MSRP of just under $55 excluding delivery and destination, it’s an uncertain. My expectations are low so they can be easily exceeded. I’m just excited about a great looking EV at a reasonable price. Heck, Ford already lowered the price after I put my order in and no sales tax plus a Fed Tax credit means I got nothing to complain about.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
That language concerns me as well. I mentioned it in another post but easier to just re-state here. Quack2000 - I'd appreciate your take on it...

My concern is that the language states (bold italics mine):
Costs not generally included in the MSRP are: destination or delivery charges, sales and use taxes, additional maintenance or repair packages purchased from the dealership or showroom, documentation fees, registration fees, or add-ons which relate to the maintenance or operation of the vehicle, such as electric vehicle charging packages, floor mats, first aid kits, cargo nets, etc.

What worries me is that Ford does include the destination and delivery in the MSRP. Here's what I configured and ordered:
1612104957034.png

Notice that the base MSRP is 47,000 and options are 7,700. That totals 54,700, which is under the 55k cap. BUT, the Total MSRP includes the D&D. So how will NJ interpret that? Will NJ back out the 1,100 D&D or will they use Ford's MSRP and deny the rebate?
II noticed that too and when I talked to my dealer, he said my MSRP would still be above $55K if I changed my paint color because of D&D. I said D&D isn't included in MSRP in the guidance. He looked it up and agreed that it isn't included for NJ state rebate purposes.

I'm worried about the language too, but I'm just taking it for what it says, that D&D charges are generally not included in MSRP for the purposes of the vehicle eligibility for the rebate. Since we are splitting hairs, what about the use of the phrase "typically includes" in the description of what is included in MSRP? Does it mean there is wiggle room and I could argue paint isn't included? Probably not, since they specifically mention paint as "typically" included. IMO, same applies to D&D charges not being included. They specifically mention D&D charges "generally" aren't included. In fact, they specifically list pretty much all of the potential charges related to a new car purchase when you take the included and not included language together. This seems unambiguous.

My feeling is the "flexible" language is just legalese, giving them room to do what they want for special situation should they arise.

Quack2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi
Country flag
II noticed that too and when I talked to my dealer, he said my MSRP would still be above $55K if I changed my paint color because of D&D. I said D&D isn't included in MSRP in the guidance. He looked it up and agreed that it isn't included for NJ state rebate purposes.

I'm worried about the language too, but I'm just taking it for what it says, that D&D charges are generally not included in MSRP for the purposes of the vehicle eligibility for the rebate. Since we are splitting hairs, what about the use of the phrase "typically includes" in the description of what is included in MSRP? Does it mean there is wiggle room and I could argue paint isn't included? Probably not, since they specifically mention paint as "typically" included. IMO, same applies to D&D charges not being included. They specifically mention D&D charges "generally" aren't included. In fact, they specifically list pretty much all of the potential charges related to a new car purchase when you take the included and not included language together. This seems unambiguous.

My feeling is the "flexible" language is just legalese, giving them room to do what they want for special situation should they arise.
SAM said the magic word “legalese”. Too many times in my career legalese in statutes and regulations has screwed me, but here I’m inclined to agree. In any case, paint, destination and delivery, etc, it’s certainly worth a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I specifically asked the NJ drive green people and they were clear that destination and delivery charges would not count toward the $55k cap. I saw someone mention paint and it will count towards MSRP. Interesting think was and this was last year the MME was not listed in the program yet. Hopefully it’s been added.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In any case, for those shooting for the new Point-of-Sale rebate, there is plenty to worry about.
  1. Timing and funding of the Point-of-Sale rebate program. Will it start on July 1 or be delayed? Will the rebate amount be reduced? Will the vehicle eligibility cap be lowered?
  2. Is the date the vehicle was ordered used in determining eligibility? If so, people ordering cars in the gap between programs won't be eligible. It appears that the order date (by Dec 15) instead of delivery and registration is be used for eligibility in the current post sale rebate program, even though program terms and conditions say "A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the date of vehicle registration will be considered the date of purchase or lease.". From the feedback in posts above, it seems like DPU are making an exception and allowing those who order by Dec 15 and register cars by Mar 15 to be eligible. For the Point-of-Sale rebate, hopefully the date of registration will be the date used for eligibility and not the date the car was ordered.
  3. Working with the dealer on all this and timing delivery of the car in the sweet spot for making the sale eligible for the Point-of-Sale rebate (not too early). Also, this feeds into the risk of losing out if they delay start of the program.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I specifically asked the NJ drive green people and they were clear that destination and delivery charges would not count toward the $55k cap. I saw someone mention paint and it will count towards MSRP. Interesting think was and this was last year the MME was not listed in the program yet. Hopefully it’s been added.
yes, as of Friday

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, its listed now, eligible for the full $5K.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
It's so easy to stay under the $55k msrp if you forgo AWD. I'm not sure why you are all sweating it. It's not like we get a lot snow in NJ anyway.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's so easy to stay under the $55k msrp if you forgo AWD. I'm not sure why you are all sweating it. It's not like we get a lot snow in NJ anyway.
Possible with AWD. When Ford dropped prices last year, I bumped my order to Premium AWD & extended battery. Only thing I could not do was special paint, as Red for example would bump me over the $55K.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's not the snow it's the 1.3s better 0-60 time :cool:

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wouldn't say that looking outside right now.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
Wouldn't say that looking outside right now.
Depends on where in NJ. Living at the "shore" is nice, unless you like snow.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depends on where in NJ. Living at the "shore" is nice, unless you like snow.
I love the snow. Love driving in snow. Was wishing I had my MME to get out there and so some drifting. Ah well next year.

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Buick Enclave
Occupation
Accountant