Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
So, I have a 100 mile roundtrip commute. By that metric, I could get away with using a 150 mile 2.0 Leaf (not the plus model). Or my former Bolt EV.
But you would hate yourself.
Sponsored

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Second, I learned about a decade ago that if I cut my speed a bit, take more walks and breaks, and generally treat the drive itself as part of the adventure, I arrive much, much more calm and ready to enjoy whatever is at the end of the drive.
1000%

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
But you would hate yourself.
I wouldn't hate myself. I was fine doing this commute in a 2005 Prius while I waited for the Mach-E to come in. But I definitely enjoy the commute a lot more in the Mach-E.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
The manufacturers seem to disagree with the need for 600 mile range... here is a list of EV's by range. Note that there are lots of options between 200-250 miles...

the list of cars that get >600 miles... none.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/list-of-evs-sorted-by-range
Having started treatment for prostate cancer, the thought of trying to drive 300+ miles at a stretch is not an option for me. I think eventually we will get to the point where 400+ miles is standard range for most BEVs, but the current EA reliability does not give me any confidence that we can even live with 200+ mile range for long trips. Tesla will crack open the minimum needed for the federal dollars, but that is all. Time will address this as the market adjusts. Right now, it's "Pioneers take the arrows" mode.
Sponsored