Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
One of my friends told me that he keeps a small/portable Honda generator (with tank of gas) in the car, in case the car runs out of juice completely. That maybe his paranoia, not lack of planning. I found the idea interesting as this gives an option to charge the car in such cases, just to get to the nearest charging station as needed.. your thoughts?
whats the downside in this?
Why not call roadside assistance? It comes with the car.
Sponsored

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
The idea is not new. GM EV1 ~1997.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Gas for emergency? 1659546976322

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
If I was going to do something like that......it would be a 240V gen set.
And I would remove the tub in the front compartment and bolt it down into place.
If I ever decide to take the MME to the northern edge of Alaska then doing something like that might be a nice insurance plan. :)
I think Chevy did that and called it a Bolt.

byoungblood

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150, 2007 Mazda 3, 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
In this thread we are talking about emergency needs and range anxiety. 120V plugs are literally millions of times more common than gas stations. If there’s a will, there’s a way. That plus the ability to get a (free) tow should you ever stupidly press your luck means there shouldn’t be a problem.
120v charging would be a last ditch option. It is what, 2-3 miles an hour? I'm not really considering that to be an option except in cases where there isn't an adequate 240v outlet readily available and the car is going to stay parked for a couple of days. It isn't a practical way to limp the car along on a road trip.

Tow truck is the most practical emergency option on the road, but could potentially leave you stranded in a less than ideal area for a couple of hours waiting for it to arrive.

But I was responding to the rather generic "range anxiety" comment you made. If someone's planned use of the vehicle involves regular road trips into certain parts of the country, there is a real lack of infrastructure that can give one some "anxiety" on how they're not going to end up stranded on the side of the road.

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
Defeats the purpose of going EV. Just take a deep breath and think it through. The extra range that you would lose from lugging around a heavy generator and it’s gas, would probably be the range that you need to get home when you ran out.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Has anyone suggested the obvious yet? Buy a Lightning and have someone drive it behind you. You run out of charge? Boom Mega Power Frunk to the rescue.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Has anyone suggested the obvious yet? Buy a Lightning and have someone drive it behind you. You run out of charge? Boom Mega Power Frunk to the rescue.
Alternatively, just draft behind the Lightning in the MME 😁

Todd44

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf, MME Select, Red, RWD ordered 3/17/22
Occupation
Software Developer Manager
Country flag
I live right on the gulf coast and 300 miles can get me to CFL or the Atlantic or to Georgia, it is not a worry at all for me.
In FL too, never evacuated. We live north of Tampa, but even if we did evacuate, we would leave BEFORE the storm, when everything is still working, and not return until it’s all back. Plus, we have other vehicles. If you leave when the power is out at the charging stations, probably out at the gas stations too.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
In FL too, never evacuated. We live north of Tampa, but even if we did evacuate, we would leave BEFORE the storm, when everything is still working, and not return until it’s all back. Plus, we have other vehicles. If you leave when the power is out at the charging stations, probably out at the gas stations too.
Yeah, I wouldn't wait that long either, we're in Seminole in Pinellas, less than a mile from the gulf, in non-evac zone though, for now at at least.

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
As a rule of thumb, I always leave a 50 miles cushion to the next charging station. Thus, if the next station is 110 miles away, I better have 160 miles or more left in the "tank".

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would just use an extension cord.... a realllllllllllly long extension cord. :)

Last edited:

CurtW

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
The only think I keep in the car, in case of breakdown / dead battery, is under the hood. On ice. :p

Keeping a generator in the car is akin to just carrying a can of gas in an ICE vehicle, which I have never done, so thinking I wouldn't do this, either.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
When I was growing up, our ICEs were total junkers, gas stations were not 24-hours and credit cards were something only the rich had. We would carry jerry cans full of gasoline in our trunk.

I will never again carry spare fuel inside of a vehicle cabin.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Defeats the purpose of going EV. Just take a deep breath and think it through. The extra range that you would lose from lugging around a heratoreavy generator and it’s gas, would probably be the range that you need to get home when you ran out.
35lb generator.
Sponsored