MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
If you live in an area with ample charging options when you're on the road, then you may have that view.

But there are many areas of the country that are literal black holes for realistic charging options on an extended trip. Before I placed the order for my Mach-E, I checked charger availability along a couple of long distance routes that I would potentially drive at least once a year. Had it not been available, I probably would have gone down a different route. It wasn't anxiety, but rather not wanting to pay nearly $60k for a vehicle that didn't have the flexibility I require.
In this thread we are talking about emergency needs and range anxiety. 120V plugs are literally millions of times more common than gas stations. If thereā€™s a will, thereā€™s a way. That plus the ability to get a (free) tow should you ever stupidly press your luck means there shouldnā€™t be a problem.
Sponsored

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I live right on the gulf coast and 300 miles can get me to CFL or the Atlantic or to Georgia, it is not a worry at all for me.
I've never lived in such an area before, but... shouldn't you not wait until the last minute to evac anyway? I thought these days you usually get quite a few days' notice. Of course, what do I know - the biggest emergency I've had was the city being snowed in for a day šŸ¤£.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I've never lived in such an area before, but... shouldn't you not wait until the last minute to evac anyway? I thought these days you usually get quite a few days' notice. Of course, what do I know - the biggest emergency I've had was the city being snowed in for a day šŸ¤£.
Yeah I wouldnā€™t wait till the last minute!

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Saw a bumper sticker on a black Mach-E at an anime convention.

it said ā€œpowered by Pikachuā€
Perhaps we all need to keep a few in the frunk.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
Saw a bumper sticker on a black Mach-E at an anime convention.

it said ā€œpowered by Pikachuā€
Perhaps we all need to keep a few in the frunk.

Funny, I just ran into this Focus ST the other day while out driving my own. Pika pika!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gas for emergency? 1659461096458

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Also, ainā€™t no way a generator is going to charge your car faster than any old 110v outlet.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One of my friends told me that he keeps a small/portable Honda generator (with tank of gas) in the car, in case the car runs out of juice completely. That maybe his paranoia, not lack of planning. I found the idea interesting as this gives an option to charge the car in such cases, just to get to the nearest charging station as needed.. your thoughts?
whats the downside in this?
Personally I think you need to get smarter friends. Clearly the gas fumes are affecting his/her reasoning.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
One of my friends told me that he keeps a small/portable Honda generator (with tank of gas) in the car, in case the car runs out of juice completely. That maybe his paranoia, not lack of planning. I found the idea interesting as this gives an option to charge the car in such cases, just to get to the nearest charging station as needed.. your thoughts?
whats the downside in this?
Simple answer: It's a stupid idea. Stink up the car with the smell of gas, carry the weight of gas plus a generator. For what? A few miles of range? Pay attention to the car and it will warn you repeatedly before you run out of juice.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
One of my friends told me that he keeps a small/portable Honda generator (with tank of gas) in the car, in case the car runs out of juice completely.
your friend is an idiot....
... there is no polite way to say that.

carry your mobile charger, with both tails, and a 50' 10awg extension cord if you must.... but PLEASE don't seriously consider hauling around a generator, especially a gasoline generator.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
your friend is an idiot....
... there is no polite way to say that.

carry your mobile charger, with both tails, and a 50' 10awg extension cord if you must.... but PLEASE don't seriously consider hauling around a generator, especially a gasoline generator.
Great suggestion. I never thought about carrying the long extension so the mobile charger can be conveniently used. I assume youā€™d be charging at 120v.