Gas for emergency?

KyloRen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME22 Cal Rt1 eAWD
Country flag
One of my friends told me that he keeps a small/portable Honda generator (with tank of gas) in the car, in case the car runs out of juice completely. That maybe his paranoia, not lack of planning. I found the idea interesting as this gives an option to charge the car in such cases, just to get to the nearest charging station as needed.. your thoughts?
whats the downside in this?
Sponsored

Okuma

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT Grabber Blue "Blucifer"
Country flag
One of my friends told me that he keeps a small/portable Honda generator (with tank of gas) in the car, in case the car runs out of juice completely. That maybe his paranoia, not lack of planning. I found the idea interesting as this gives an option to charge the car in such cases, just to get to the nearest charging station as needed.. your thoughts?
whats the downside in this?
I think storing gas in your car would be a major downside! Fuel needs to maintain a safe pressure and the fuel vapor would be terrible. Generally, unsafe.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
If I was going to do something like that......it would be a 240V gen set.
And I would remove the tub in the front compartment and bolt it down into place.
If I ever decide to take the MME to the northern edge of Alaska then doing something like that might be a nice insurance plan. :)

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
The time needed to maintain the generator, make sure the fuel doesn't go bad (and is stored correctly), and the financial outlay required just seems... inefficient? Take all of that time and money wasted, and just plan your routes better?

If he's really worried about one of those "stuck-in-traffic-forever" scenarios in the winter, I'd rather stash a small e-scooter in the car for the same money. That way you can get out and get help, supplies, etc. No worries about gas going bad and/or killing you.

In other words, I think his idea is really stupid.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
I think generators need to be able to provide a minimum number of kW to be able to charge an EV battery. I'm not experienced with generators, but I have the impression that a generator powerful enough to charge an EV wouldn't be very portable. Anyone know?

OP
OP
KyloRen

KyloRen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME22 Cal Rt1 eAWD
Country flag
If I was going to do something like that......it would be a 240V gen set.
And I would remove the tub in the front compartment and bolt it down into place.
If I ever decide to take the MME to the northern edge of Alaska then doing something like that might be a nice insurance plan. :)
He said this is common in MI, WI and also in North East? I am from California..so not sure I will ever do this ;-)

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thinking ahead sounds way more reasonable! Very little charging thru a 120v gen set. Better option would just make sure you have a mobile charger. If driving longer distances it just makes sense to have a charging plan in mind before traveling. That being said you still see ICE vehicles running out of gas so I imagine you will have EV drivers pushing their limits!

OP
OP
KyloRen

KyloRen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME22 Cal Rt1 eAWD
Country flag
I think generators need to be able to provide a minimum number of kW to be able to charge an EV battery. I'm not experienced with generators, but I have the impression that a generator powerful enough to charge an EV wouldn't be very portable. Anyone know?
After he said that, I looked up online.. there seem to be many generator options that are portable to do this. You can find many articles on this topic.

OP
OP
KyloRen

KyloRen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME22 Cal Rt1 eAWD
Country flag
He’s not ready for BEV ownership. Should have simply went with PHEV.
Indeed, He just transitioned from PHEV to BEV.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
This is an interesting idea, but wholly impractical.

Most portable generators are 120V only, so that means that, at best, you can can get 3 or 4 miles of range per hour of charging. So it would only be useful in very limited circumstances. You'd be better off just calling a tow truck when needed rather than keeping volatile liquids in your car unnecessarily.
Sponsored