So much for emergency reverse braking.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Possibly because of step 1. It can't detect every situation requiring braking.
I don't think your step 1 is accurate. The car doesn't have to detect APPROACHING object, however it has to detect the object IT APPROACHES. And how it matters if that object is moving or not?

OP
OP
JohnnyForensic

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I think this was just a case where we were backing out at opposite angles and it just didnā€™t see the other car. No, there was no warning, no emergency braking, no nothing. Iā€™m not blaming the technology; this was just bad luck, bad timing, and two drivers who didnā€™t see each other. I think she might have jackrabbited out of her space, solely because of the amount of impact damage, but it doesnā€™t matter. This will probably become a 50/50 split case most likely.

Just sucks, especially because I know the parts arenā€™t going to be easy.

Thereā€˜s a big dent under the pony, but this pic has the interesting damage. The top edge of the hatch just kind of shattered.

Ford Mustang Mach-E So much for emergency reverse braking. 1E83FDB3-E407-4332-ABF3-A593A14A273A

Meh. This will teach me to go into the office when I can work from home!

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Reverse brake assist only works when a vehicle is oncoming from the left or right. The car you hit was essentially in the blind spot of the system since it was out of that cone of vision.
My car automatically brakes when I back out of my rather steep driveway and it thinks the street is an obstacle--so at least in this case, the obstacle is directly behind me.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think this was just a case where we were backing out at opposite angles and it just didnā€™t see the other car. No, there was no warning, no emergency braking, no nothing. Iā€™m not blaming the technology; this was just bad luck, bad timing, and two drivers who didnā€™t see each other. I think she might have jackrabbited out of her space, solely because of the amount of impact damage, but it doesnā€™t matter. This will probably become a 50/50 split case most likely.

Just sucks, especially because I know the parts arenā€™t going to be easy.

Thereā€˜s a big dent under the pony, but this pic has the interesting damage. The top edge of the hatch just kind of shattered.

Ford Mustang Mach-E So much for emergency reverse braking. 1E83FDB3-E407-4332-ABF3-A593A14A273A

Meh. This will teach me to go into the office when I can work from home!
Sorry to see that, hope it can get fixed quickly and cheaply.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a 50/50 split. If it was all clear when you started backing up, and then the other driver started backing up, I think it is more on the other driver.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
My car automatically brakes when I back out of my rather steep driveway and it thinks the street is an obstacle--so at least in this case, the obstacle is directly behind me.
Itā€™s directly behind you and to the left and right.

Hard to compare the two situations.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Just got into an accident in a parking lot. Both of us were backing up at the same time out of our spaces. I looked in the cam and saw her car, but she hadnā€™t started moving. Looked parked. I looked over my shoulder to make sure oncoming traffic was clear and started backing out, and BANG.

Sigh.
I had the same experience in Costco. Some beeping but no braking.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Reverse brake assist only works when a vehicle is oncoming from the left or right. The car you hit was essentially in the blind spot of the system since it was out of that cone of vision.
No, youā€™re thinking of Cross Traffic Alert. Reverse Brake Assist works for an obstacle directly behind the car, but it likely didnā€™t work in this case because the other car was moving towards him. Itā€™s meant for stationary objects and pedestrians.

https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/reverse-brake-assist/

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Really sorry to hear about this and glad no one got hurt. Hope it gets fixed soon. I have had several near misses backing out in parking lots and because of that I now try to back in when possible so that when I leave I donā€™t have to back out.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
My Mache E likes to sonar beep (seemingly too paranoid even) when backing into (or going forward into) a space and approaching an object. Even likes to beep when I am backing straight out of the garage with a clear but narrow path and thinks I am too close (and highlights parts of the car in red on the large display). The other vehicle must of been just the right height not to be seen be the sensors? or can those warnings be turned on/off?

I seem to recall seeing somewhere the emergency breaks only kick in if going over a certain speed. That said, it might of been a different vehicle.

OP
OP
JohnnyForensic

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
My Mache E likes to sonar beep (seemingly too paranoid even) when backing into (or going forward into) a space and approaching an object. Even likes to beep when I am backing straight out of the garage with a clear but narrow path and thinks I am too close (and highlights parts of the car in red on the large display). The other vehicle must of been just the right height not to be seen be the sensors? or can those warnings be turned on/off?

I seem to recall seeing somewhere the emergency breaks only kick in if going over a certain speed. That said, it might of been a different vehicle.
No, my beeping sensors are all on. I even had my wife walk back and forth behind my car at different lengths when I got home after the accident; the heat map radar view followed along with her walking behind the car perfectly. It was just a very strange and disappointing day.

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitterā€¦and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
I have had my MMe for about a month. I surprisingly like all of the safety features and find they work well and are not too intrusive. The rear alert is the only system I have found a bit less robust. Tight parking lots with big vehicles on both sides (read Home Depot with lots of pickup trucks) present problems for me. Walking pedestrians and vehicles backing up across the aisle both present possible dangerous situations that have only been avoided by my caution, not any alert. This surprised me. Just sayin'... I have faith that this will be improving. One ask is to improve the peripheral view on the rear camera.

OP
OP
JohnnyForensic

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I have had my MMe for about a month. I surprisingly like all of the safety features and find they work well and are not too intrusive. The rear alert is the only system I have found a bit less robust. Tight parking lots with big vehicles on both sides (read Home Depot with lots of pickup trucks) present problems for me. Walking pedestrians and vehicles backing up across the aisle both present possible dangerous situations that have only been avoided by my caution, not any alert. This surprised me. Just sayin'... I have faith that this will be improving. One ask is to improve the peripheral view on the rear camera.
I agree with that last statement a lot. I feel like the rear camera view is much more restricted than it has been in my other cars which take more of the fishbowl approach. It wouldn't have changed the price of tea for my particular situation given that she was right behind me, but backing out of my driveway, I've been unpleasantly surprised more than once by someone walking on the sidewalk that I didn't see in the camera as I was backing out.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Just got into an accident in a parking lot. Both of us were backing up at the same time out of our spaces. I looked in the cam and saw her car, but she hadnā€™t started moving. Looked parked. I looked over my shoulder to make sure oncoming traffic was clear and started backing out, and BANG.

Sigh.
Next time donā€™t look over your shoulder. You should rely on rear camera and side mirrors. Rear camera has a much much much better view than you peering out the small back window. It is also much easier to tell distance and if someone is moving in the camera view. Iā€™m not saying it would have prevented this but I bet you would have seen better. Sometimes cars are perfectly aligned to mess up your day like this.

Good luck on getting it repaired. I would cry quite a bit on the inside (and the outside of alone) if this happened to me.
Sponsored

Last edited: