BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
My take is that this is further proof that Ford is getting serious about making more cars for the future, and not stuck in a rut. This announcement made me think about the news from last week that Google is planning to use graph theory to plan electric vehicle charging stops in Android Automotive.

Time will tell whether this comes to our 2021 models. This does make me want to think really hard about options now.
Yeah this seems like an incredibly desirable update. Without an OTA commitment from Ford, it feels like my 21MY Mach-E just got an expiration date before it's even been delivered.
Sponsored

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
This is true, but reliability and use is of less concern for me than what this means for privacy (this isn't just knowing where your car is.) This is about data mining and business models. Hopefully there will be more information in the near term from Ford as what this means for the current products. I know some of the people in Apple's Privacy Team and understand the dynamics and pressures put on them by the industry to alter their efforts. Now I would like to see a 24 mo Options plan...

Not to mention the Polestar had a massive software recall that stemmed from the OS being completely run on Android

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
For those who are worried about Ford knowing where your car is at all times, this is not just a Ford thing. I think if your car was stolen, local police could call most major carmakers and have the location of the car (within 30 feet) in about 5 minutes. OTA cuts both ways.
yeah Ford does this today even with MyFord Mobile so that isn't a change at all. There's even a confirmation screen reminding you of this that pops up every so often. I see that as a benefit for this reason; it's all personal cost/benefit analysis ultimately.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hopefully the OTA process can OTA a new OS to our cars. The last thing I want is to take delivery of a $50k+ brick after 2 years. I expect long-term support and this is making me nervous.
I can think of no reason this would not be possible. Basically just flash the new OS to the car.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Internal communications confirms plan to continue supporting Apple CarPlay
There is no reason not to, after all Apple has a big slice of the phone market. All late Honda vehicles have infotainment systems powered by Android, and they all support CarPlay.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I can think of no reason this would not be possible. Basically just flash the new OS to the car.
as I've said already I want to be proven wrong on this, but I don't see that being as straightforward as you believe it is. We're talking about a complicated swap out - this isn't "flashing a variant of the same OS you're already running onto your phone" level.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
As one of the few who hopes you might be correct, until we get specific clarification from Ford about It I'm not sure if anyone can say what it means for the current MME. I would think they will be able to migrate whatever Frankenstein system they have planned with Google into the MME, but until Ford says what the plan is... it would appear their intent would be to "enhance" the new Sync with Google's cloud and development. MME's platform would appear to be more open than the old nav/multimedia systems that Ford/MS worked on that were dependent on less flexible hardware.

FCA moved the system in my PHEV van from their in-house work to Android a few years later, luckily for me didn't migrate my system, but the hardware in the van is a completely different animal than the MME. My take on the system in the MME was similar to Tesla's- it's robust and open enough to update/change regardless of what business relationships/development partners Ford has in the future.

as I've said already I want to be proven wrong on this, but I don't see that being as straightforward as you believe it is. We're talking about a complicated swap out - this isn't "flashing a variant of the same OS you're already running onto your phone" level.

Last edited:

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It might be an incorrect assumption to believe the business decision was made in consultation with the Sync 4a engineers. Hopefully they can clarify things a bit before I take delivery of mine.

I'd feel better about it if the focus was on Navigation and the cloud, but Google is much like a virus (or the Borg.) ;) If I take the agreement/arrangement at face value it means Ford is going to rely on Google for navigation backend and related cloud infrastructure, but hopefully Ford will own the ID vehicle specific sw and data opt-in will be enforced, actually workable.

OT, but Ford just found a way to ease my obsession about the front plate bracket. :rolleyes:

People are hitting up Ford officers on Twitter for what this means for the MachE. Will be interesting to see if they respond.

Last edited:

ddlt

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NX 300H Rx350 CX5 Mach E reserved Galaxy 500 in a time long ago
Country flag
I would imagine Ford is getting paid to have google on their cars. Google looks at cars as another device and mine all the data it can from you. Remember that thread about what will make you change your mind about purchasing a MachE....... well this may be it for me. Google is evil in my book by using and collecting all my information, copying their operating system from another, using that information to manipulate my news, shopping, etc. I just might buy an analog mustang.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Isn't it also a "good thing" Sync 4A on the Mach-E is built upon HTML5? Should mean easier porting to something like an Android OS in the future?