Another GOM Lie

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
0FE22AB9-488A-417B-84BA-5D3516E1788F.jpeg

Beating this dead horse all the way to decomposition. But the questions keep popping up, so here’s another data point.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to make a little road trip. Total of 412 miles. There’s a free DCFC on the route so no problem.

I left home with 100% SOC and the GOM showing a range of 245 miles on my AWD ER. EPA range rating should be 270 miles at 100%. The horror. My car is broken. I’ve got over 5000 miles on it in 7 months of ownership. How has it not learned how far I can go. This is BS. /s

My first leg to the DCFC was 107 miles and I used 36% battery. Trip meter shows 3.3 miles/kwh. Which calculates out to pretty accurate. 36% of my 88 kwh battery is 31.6 kwh. 107 miles divided by 31.6 gets me 3.38 miles/kwh. Good on Ford. My GOM even went from 245 to 149 miles remaining. So I “Lost” 96 miles of range going 107 miles of actual driving. Reasonably accurate.

But here’s where the fun begins in my little math nerd brain. The GOM shows 149 miles remaining on 64% battery. But if I went 107 miles on 36%, then my 100% GOM should have been 297 miles and at 64% it should show 190 miles remaining. I say this only to drive home the point that the GOM is overly conservative (AKA It LIES). So for everyone still concerned about their GOM… it LIES. My GOM has almost never shown more than 250 miles range even though in the real world, on a 40 degree morning, driving 2 lane county roads at 60 MPH with lots of slow downs for small towns, I should get 297 miles.

But kicked it back up to 80% and continued on my merry way. Further legs show similar results. With a total on that day of averaging 3.52 miles/kwh. Total 412 miles driven, 117 Kwh of electricity used. So with it all said and done, real range for this drive should have been 309 miles. But my car showed 245 at the start of the day. And now, sitting at work, I show 75 miles of range at 36% SOC. That calculates out to 208 miles at 100%.

Oh you silly GOM. When will you learn? Alternately, oh you silly people, when will you stop paying attention to the GOM?

there's someone who's contemplating between an MME or a MY. your pic should be a mandatory datapoint for such folks.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
0FE22AB9-488A-417B-84BA-5D3516E1788F.jpeg

Beating this dead horse all the way to decomposition. But the questions keep popping up, so here’s another data point.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to make a little road trip. Total of 412 miles. There’s a free DCFC on the route so no problem.

I left home with 100% SOC and the GOM showing a range of 245 miles on my AWD ER. EPA range rating should be 270 miles at 100%. The horror. My car is broken. I’ve got over 5000 miles on it in 7 months of ownership. How has it not learned how far I can go. This is BS. /s

My first leg to the DCFC was 107 miles and I used 36% battery. Trip meter shows 3.3 miles/kwh. Which calculates out to pretty accurate. 36% of my 88 kwh battery is 31.6 kwh. 107 miles divided by 31.6 gets me 3.38 miles/kwh. Good on Ford. My GOM even went from 245 to 149 miles remaining. So I “Lost” 96 miles of range going 107 miles of actual driving. Reasonably accurate.

But here’s where the fun begins in my little math nerd brain. The GOM shows 149 miles remaining on 64% battery. But if I went 107 miles on 36%, then my 100% GOM should have been 297 miles and at 64% it should show 190 miles remaining. I say this only to drive home the point that the GOM is overly conservative (AKA It LIES). So for everyone still concerned about their GOM… it LIES. My GOM has almost never shown more than 250 miles range even though in the real world, on a 40 degree morning, driving 2 lane county roads at 60 MPH with lots of slow downs for small towns, I should get 297 miles.

But kicked it back up to 80% and continued on my merry way. Further legs show similar results. With a total on that day of averaging 3.52 miles/kwh. Total 412 miles driven, 117 Kwh of electricity used. So with it all said and done, real range for this drive should have been 309 miles. But my car showed 245 at the start of the day. And now, sitting at work, I show 75 miles of range at 36% SOC. That calculates out to 208 miles at 100%.

Oh you silly GOM. When will you learn? Alternately, oh you silly people, when will you stop paying attention to the GOM?
In almost 6 months of ownership, my driving average is 3.7 kWh/mile. For an ER battery that equates to a theoretical range of 325 miles. The GOM shows 201 miles range at 100% SOC. 6 of the last 7 miles to our house is uphill. The range estimates are "off."

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Our GOM routinely shows between 300 and 310 miles fully charged. We average about 3.4 m/kwh so that works out to be pretty accurate. Don't forget, heavy use of life support systems such as AC/Heat/Defrost will affect your range estimate greatly as will high speeds.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
So many variables:

What drive mode are you using? Whisper, Engaged, or Unbridled?

Where are you driving? Flat & level, or up and down mountains - City or highway & what speeds?

What is the outside weather?

How do you like the inside comfort zone?

For me, driving in Engaged mode, in SE Florida, interior temp set to 74 degrees driving 60% City @ 45 mph and 40% highway @ 70 mph my GOM shows 300 miles @ 90% charge (330 miles @ 100%). When I drive 100 miles, the GOM shows a remaining range of 190-210. Close enough for me.....

Now if I change it to unbridled, get on I-95 and drive it like a race car at 85 mph with the A/C set at 68 degrees and Moody Blues blasting through the speakers, that 90% range after charging drops pretty quickly to 250 miles. And then it takes quite a while to rise back up to that 300 mile range I like to see!

If my wife reads this, I would never drive my MME that way, and have no idea why the GOM has dropped to 250 miles......

Jim

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
The GOM doesn't lie, it just can't predict the future. It has no idea where you're going, what the weather/wind will be like, how you're going to drive to get there, what the elevation gradient will be, etc. I don't know why people think of this as some fortune telling moment.
I can drive like a maniac and get shit GOM values. Then when i'm on a road trip, knowing I need to travel some distance, I'll baby it and hit the 3.4/3.5 mark to get my epa mileage on the battery.

But Mr.244, you might say, that's really annoying to have to pay that much attention to your range and driving habits all the time! Surely there must be a better way!

Well good news, there is! its called a conservative GOM estimate. does it say 200miles at 100%? you should be fairly confident you can hit that charging station 190 miles away.
And we've come full circle.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I don't seem to have that problem...mine is typically fairly spot on, AWD ER. As it has gotten colder it has gone down since warmer months. I am over 9,000 miles in @ 3.7 avg

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another GOM Lie 1634581936776
They seem to be all over the place. Some of us get good real estimates from the GOM. Some of us get garbage despite long term use. I believe the Moral of the story is know your own car and driving habits.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
They seem to be all over the place. Some of us get good real estimates from the GOM. Some of us get garbage despite long term use. I believe the Moral of the story is know your own car and driving habits.
Yeah - having the car for most of the year so far, I can feel comfortable on any drive knowing my driving habits and how the car reacts to weather influences distances. It certainly adjusts accordingly when you get those cold weather bursts.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Yeah - having the car for most of the year so far, I can feel comfortable on any drive knowing my driving habits and how the car reacts to weather influences distances. It certainly adjusts accordingly when you get those cold weather bursts.
Even over the summer when it was 85° I was still getting 230-250 miles of range on the GOM. But calculating based on efficiency would reveal 290-310. I’ve given up on it.

dcs1985

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Star White
Country flag
Sorry I think I might be super dense this morning. What does GOM stand for? (I tried Googling I promise!)

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
It's posts like this that make me give thanks for not suffering from even a trace of OCD.
I very much have OCD when it comes to stuff like that. But I grew up in the era where you didnt get told how many miles you had remaining on your tank. You either did it on a post-it note, or the back of your checkbook, or just gassed up when you hit 1/4 tank or before a trip. I would never trust mileage estimates where I live anyway, heck on a trip to see family going there requires a whole lot of up-hill, and coming back is 80% downhill, I would probably use 60% battery going and 20% on the return. I just look at it like the % displayed is more of a gas tank, if my average is over 3miles per kwh im happy and know I can get 250 miles or better from my "tank" of electrons.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Sorry I think I might be super dense this morning. What does GOM stand for? (I tried Googling I promise!)
Guess O Meter, the thing that tells you the number of miles left in your range.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I have 6600 miles on my MME, for the last month GOM is showing 305 miles range charging
to 100%. My Trip1 has never been reset and show 4.1 kwh average for the 6600 miles . My GOM should be showing around 360 miles, 4.1 x 88KWh battery charge.
Follow up to previous post. 17.1 downloaded for the second time late this afternoon.
It now shows 3.5 kwh for the 6600 miles . Now GOM is accurate 3.5 x 88kwh is 308. GOM is right on !!! MME has a mind of it own, may be possessed ? Or just software spirits!!
Sponsored

Last edited: