Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
The first thing I did with my Mach-E was to remove the center rear passenger headrest. We very likely will never have three people in the back and this greatly improves the rear vision. If we have an occasion to have five people, the headrest can be easily added.
The second thing was adding a $4 convex mirror to the driver side mirror. This way I don't have to even slightly turn my head to see what's in the blind spot to confirm the BLIS warning. The convex mirror is also very useful when you're on a freeway on-ramp by showing potential conflicting traffic long before the BLIS will signal it is there.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another ID.4 vs Mach-E thread 1634079903934
Sponsored

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
My biggest complaint about the Mustang is visibility out the back and the side view mirrors. It's quite disappointing for a modern vehicle's visibility to be designed so poorly that I'm already searching for aftermarket side view mirrors.
To be honest it isn't any worse than a classic fastback like my 69 mach 1. IF you grew up in the 80s and 90s we all got used to really square cars with HUGE rear windows. So our expectations are always higher....becuase of those square cars.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
To be honest it isn't any worse than a classic fastback like my 69 mach 1. IF you grew up in the 80s and 90s we all got used to really square cars with HUGE rear windows. So our expectations are always higher....becuase of those square cars.
Right. Not worse than a car that's 52 years older is not exactly high praise when it comes to a safety issue.

To be sure, I understand the stylistic reasons for it. And I don't particularly like the idea of putting bigger mirrors on it, so I'll probably compromise with some convex button mirrors as have been suggested in this thread and others.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Right. Not worse than a car that's 52 years older is not exactly high praise when it comes to a safety issue.

To be sure, I understand the stylistic reasons for it. And I don't particularly like the idea of putting bigger mirrors on it, so I'll probably compromise with some convex button mirrors as have been suggested in this thread and others.
Visually though it IS in line with most mustangs historically. So it shouldn't be a surprise right? I can't wait until the rear view mirror is just a monitor for a really awesome rear facing camera. I'm sure that isn't too far out in the future for the mach e as a feature.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Visually though it IS in line with most mustangs historically. So it shouldn't be a surprise right? I can't wait until the rear view mirror is just a monitor for a really awesome rear facing camera. I'm sure that isn't too far out in the future for the mach e as a feature.
some GM vehicles do that today and early on this site, there was some talk about how folks wanted that for our Mach-Es as well. (I remember it clearly because I misunderstood what people were asking for at first and said something stupid about it. ?)

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
When on the road the only time I have to turn my head is about 20 degrees to see the right side mirror. Otherwise, just a glance in the other mirrors gives me a complete picture of the surrounding traffic. I set up the side mirrors to give me an image that begins where the center mirror image stops. Many "experts" suggest that the side mirror images should include a view of the side of the vehicle. I feel this only duplicated part of what you see in the center mirror and creates a bigger blind spot to the sides.
In a parking lot, the rear view and 360 cameras provide a view superior even to vehicles that have very large windows and mirrors.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I saw an ID4 yesterday and talked to the owner. It's a great looking car. I like my mach e better tho.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
The first thing I did with my Mach-E was to remove the center rear passenger headrest. We very likely will never have three people in the back and this greatly improves the rear vision. If we have an occasion to have five people, the headrest can be easily added.
The second thing was adding a $4 convex mirror to the driver side mirror. This way I don't have to even slightly turn my head to see what's in the blind spot to confirm the BLIS warning. The convex mirror is also very useful when you're on a freeway on-ramp by showing potential conflicting traffic long before the BLIS will signal it is there.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another ID.4 vs Mach-E thread 1634079903934
Why does the stick-on mirror appear to be showing a completely different street?

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It is showing a complete wide-angle view of the Mach-Es blind spot that the side mirror doesn't cover. It shows what the BLIS light is warning you about plus more.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The first thing I did with my Mach-E was to remove the center rear passenger headrest. ... this greatly improves the rear vision. ...
Excellent! never occurred to me, just took it off today, great idea.

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
I have an ID.4 and like it. Is it sporty? No, it is not. Am I trading it for an MME? Very likely, yes. Nonetheless, I think it's a good car that will meet the needs of a majority of people, so I think that makes it an important EV. The form factor is closer to the CUV segment than the MME, so I expect there's more universal appeal in how the ID.4 is perceived. That matters very little to me, of course, and so I'm happy to move on to something that I think I'll enjoy a bit better.

One thing I'll say is that I think the wheel/tire selection and ride comfort have been triangulated better in the ID.4 than in the MME.

5bee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Automotive
Country flag
Test drove both. I didn't think the ID 4 was that bad , maybe because I have had several VWs and enjoyed them all, something about driving a German car. But otherwise 80% of my cars have been domestics.

In the end went with MME just because I felt it was a superior car, especially fit/finish, drive characterisics. But I would still consider ID4 for second car just based on value(and appliance on wheels I fine for me for 2nd car)

BTW - one of the biggest initial draws for me was the free charging for 3 years with VW. I was new to EV and didn't fully understand the ins and out of charging. Now after 2 months with MME I realize that the free charging would have been useless to me . I charge at home exclusively and never go near a EA station. All my driving is in a 50 mile radius. If you lived across the street from EA, it would be a big pull to go that way , but not many people in that situation.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have an ID.4 and like it. Is it sporty? No, it is not. Am I trading it for an MME? Very likely, yes. Nonetheless, I think it's a good car that will meet the needs of a majority of people, so I think that makes it an important EV. The form factor is closer to the CUV segment than the MME, so I expect there's more universal appeal in how the ID.4 is perceived. That matters very little to me, of course, and so I'm happy to move on to something that I think I'll enjoy a bit better.

One thing I'll say is that I think the wheel/tire selection and ride comfort have been triangulated better in the ID.4 than in the MME.
Now that I've own both an ID.4 and Mach-E... I can directly compare. The ID.4 is most definitely the more comfortable ride. The turn radius is insane and visibility + comfort are excellent for CUV EV. I can imagine taking long trips with it compared to the firmer suspension and firmer seats of the Mach-E. However, I use my EV as a commuter car and is also why I dumped the Model Y(no long trips so I don't need the range + superchargers + extra ownership cost).

The big negative with the ID.4 is the electrical reliability. I traded the ID.4 because of the glitches and we aren't talking about infotainment ones (because the Mach-E is full of those too).

As for trading an ID.4 for a Mach-E... it depends. The Mach-E isn't without flaws. The rear cargo space is a tad smaller but more importantly the rear seat floor space is pretty small so it might be very cramped for rear passengers. I was able to transport toolboxes on the rear seat floor and underneath the foot area in my ID.4 and Model Y but the Mach-E lacks this space.

I much prefer the city driving with the Mach-E over the ID.4 - even with the janky acceleration and braking (not smooth and you can hear/feel the auto-hold brake engage and disengage). The car feels closer to sedan than RAV4. I don't think I would like road trips with the Mach-E.

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
To get smoother starts, just turn Auto-Hold off.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Interesting thread. The ID4 charging was of no interest to me. While we road trip a bit, the nearest EA charger to me is at least a 60 minute drive EACH way. If there were one close by, it might be of minimal interest, but don't forget you have to wait while it charges to take full advantage. Is 40 minutes or so of your time worth the free juice? Not for me unless I am on a trip.

As to vision, I came from an Escape, and it took some getting used to, but I am now accustomed. I could never get used to those blind spot little mirrors on the Escape, so I doubt those would be useful to me.

The driving dynamics and styling won me over on the Mach E. I just love driving and being in this car - although I wish the suspension was tuned better for the bumps (wife hates the suspension). I was at an EV meetup in May, and someone who drove an ID4 told me the interior styling was like it was designed by PlaySchool - too many hard plastics and "cheap feeling". I haven't driven one, so I am just relying on that impression and the photos I have seen.
Sponsored