Apple CarPlay - Home-screen Size?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16048
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 16048

Hey everyone,

Been playing around with some configurations and found a weird little thing. Not sure if this is intentional by Apple or just a weird miss, but it appears a display that is smaller than what we have on the Mach E will show MORE apps on the home screen than what ours shows.

Our screen projection size is 1200x1248 which looks like this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple CarPlay - Home-screen Size? IMG_2738.PNG

However if I decrease the width, and only the width it will change the display to this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple CarPlay - Home-screen Size? IMG_2741.PNG

It's odd that a smaller screen will show more apps but this could be intentional for other smaller displays with higher resolution. It just sound seem odd if that's the case. Just to note, the size wouldn't effect touch on the status bar as that only changes by a tiny bit in reality. Which one would you prefer if it was a choice?

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Honeslty I think the larger size (fewer icons) is better. It’s easier to tap the one you want without taking your eyes off the road.
Now if Apple would just let us customize the tiled Home Screen I would be happy. I miss the larger portrait orientation map from the old Mach-E UI.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple CarPlay - Home-screen Size? 1696721613600

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Been playing around with some configurations and found a weird little thing. Not sure if this is intentional by Apple or just a weird miss, but it appears a display that is smaller than what we have on the Mach E will show MORE apps on the home screen than what ours shows.

However if I decrease the width, and only the width it will change the display to this:

It's odd that a smaller screen will show more apps but this could be intentional for other smaller displays with higher resolution. It just sound seem odd if that's the case. Just to note, the size wouldn't effect touch on the status bar as that only changes by a tiny bit in reality. Which one would you prefer if it was a choice?
Bigger one because it's easier to press the buttons. The button on the lower left of the small icon version looks like it would be difficult to hit going over bumps.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Where did you decrease the width?

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
What does one do with the Domino’s CarPlay app?

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Honeslty I think the larger size (fewer icons) is better. It’s easier to tap the one you want without taking your eyes off the road.
Now if Apple would just let us customize the tiled Home Screen I would be happy. I miss the larger portrait orientation map from the old Mach-E UI.
I would LOVE to “talk” with the person that decided to make the map a thin banner that shows you the next 12 seconds (approximately) of your travel rather than this layout. I also wish they would let us put widgets on the screen, either in this layout, or the app homepage view.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16048

Yeah, it seems like that is only for the really small displays. If the width is 1100 (Smaller) the top maps area does increase by a lot, so that helps make it more useful as well.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple CarPlay - Home-screen Size? IMG_2746

I would LOVE to “talk” with the person that decided to make the map a thin banner that shows you the next 12 seconds (approximately) of your travel rather than this layout. I also wish they would let us put widgets on the screen, either in this layout, or the app homepage view.
I'm hopeful that CarPlay 2nd generation will have widget ability. It seems like a very large re-design of the UI. Speaking of CarPlay 2.0, I'm poking around to see if the Mach E can handle some of the new features with a software update and it isn't going to be a hardware dependent type feature. Still trying to figure that out. from what I can tell though, CarPlay does already have some control over HVAC since Siri will cause your fan speed to turn down automatically. It's also very fast ind doing this, so there is definitely controls and commands being sent here. It might just be a matter of what gets exposed to iOS.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I think it’s less of a “person” and more that Apple never planned for a portrait screen as big as ours. The layout is automatically determined by the shape and size of the screen and they didn’t really plan for our size. I hope they fix it some day.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I think it’s less of a “person” and more that Apple never planned for a portrait screen as big as ours. The layout is automatically determined by the shape and size of the screen and they didn’t really plan for our size. I hope they fix it some day.
But, it seems like they are looking at whole screen size rather than allocated screen size (to me, anyway). And it still chafes my chaps that Apple, the computer company for creatives, is so against customization anymore.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16048

But, it seems like they are looking at whole screen size rather than allocated screen size (to me, anyway). And it still chafes my chaps that Apple, the computer company for creatives, is so against customization anymore.
It seems like it’s more of an unplanned issue. However The home screen layout is dependent on screen size and what features are enabled. (Like Siri suggestions being enabled)

It’s not so much being against customization, it’s more of a designed with intent thing for CarPlay. Remember CarPlay is designed from the start to have as little interaction as possible. This is to avoid distracted driving. Adding customization would increase interactions. (this includes just visual interactions too.) Orgionally CarPlay was designed for small displays and so there was simply not enough room to really make customization practical. Now with bigger screens it makes more sense to do it. Hence CarPlay 2.0 development.

My wish is that Apple begins to open up more options for app development on CarPlay. Right now it’s super restrictive on what types of apps can receive entitlements.
Sponsored