Apple CarPlay no internet connection

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Help! This is driving me crazy. Happens almost every time carplay connects since either iOS 14.6 or latest mache ota update. Anyone else have this issue. If I can get this message to appear on my phone I can make the choice but that’s a hassle when driving. In the meantime, CarPlay won’t work with waze, music, anything that requires cell internet. Yes, all my settings are correct. Yes, I’ve deleted the phone, reset sync, hard reset my phone, and readded. Still same.

A6B8944C-5C0C-4DD6-A34F-21EA495B32C1.jpeg
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yeah, Android has this issue as well. When it connects to the car, the connection is done over wifi. Its a network that doesn't have internet on it. You would think the phone would be smart enough to realize that but it isn't.

Android sometimes will not load anything saying there is no internet, other times it works fine with no issues.

I have a feeling its more of a Apple/Google issue than a ford issue. They need to not count these wifi connections as a normal internet connection and default to using cellular when connected.

OP
OP
back_at_it_19

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, Android has this issue as well. When it connects to the car, the connection is done over wifi. Its a network that doesn't have internet on it. You would think the phone would be smart enough to realize that but it isn't.

Android sometimes will not load anything saying there is no internet, other times it works fine with no issues.

I have a feeling its more of a Apple/Google issue than a ford issue. They need to not count these wifi connections as a normal internet connection and default to using cellular when connected.
This is exactly what happens on my end and I thought it was an Apple Google issue also but it impacts Apple Music as well.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I think it is somehow a Ford issue because I have not had an issue on other vehicles with wireless carplay. Only the Mach E does this.

Forgetting the wifi network then re connecting to carplay fixes it until it does it the next time.

OP
OP
back_at_it_19

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it is somehow a Ford issue because I have not had an issue on other vehicles with wireless carplay. Only the Mach E does this.

Forgetting the wifi network then re connecting to carplay fixes it until it does it the next time.
Maybe this latest 1.6 ota helps…

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

You can't do this on android unfortunately. The wifi connection isn't saved in the phone. When the phone connects to bluetooth, it sees the wifi network, and temporarily sets it up in a read-only mode. As soon as you disconnect, the network goes away like it was never there.

I've noticed if an app was open before I start android auto, it works fine. But if I open a new app after its connected, it thinks there's no internet.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
You can't do this on android unfortunately. The wifi connection isn't saved in the phone. When the phone connects to bluetooth, it sees the wifi network, and temporarily sets it up in a read-only mode. As soon as you disconnect, the network goes away like it was never there.

I've noticed if an app was open before I start android auto, it works fine. But if I open a new app after its connected, it thinks there's no internet.
Interesting. What happens with the iPhone is it will say "wifi network projecxxxxx seems to have no internet connection, would you like to use cellular data instead?". Then it'll switch to cellular and work fine, but it is annoying. So I forget the network and reconnect and it works fine.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Interesting. What happens with the iPhone is it will say "wifi network projecxxxxx seems to have no internet connection, would you like to use cellular data instead?". Then it'll switch to cellular and work fine, but it is annoying. So I forget the network and reconnect and it works fine.
Android is supposed to do this automatically. It shows the wifi symbol in the status bar with a "!" on it showing no internet, and in that mode, it should fall back to cellular. But it doesn't always work as expected. Seems to be opening a new app that wasn't running it just sees no network.

Even more annoying with android, if you turn off wifi totally because you're getting frustrated that it won't let you do a google search, Google will turn wif right back on and try to re-connect to android auto as long as the bluetooth connection is still active.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The way I get around it is turn off the WIFI on the phone when your in the car. Yes, annoying but it works. Do you need the WIFI while your in the car? Just wondering.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The way I get around it is turn off the WIFI on the phone when your in the car. Yes, annoying but it works. Do you need the WIFI while your in the car? Just wondering.
Yes, Its how carplay/android auto work wirelessly. Disable wifi and you lose that.
Sponsored